TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
14-08-2012, 05:01
|
#31
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 105
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Got the update this morning, while watching an episode of The Thick of it. Can;t see anything different except a new slightly different virgin media logo.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 06:05
|
#32
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pidgeon
Got the update this morning, while watching an episode of The Thick of it. Can;t see anything different except a new slightly different virgin media logo.
|
Can you set a reminder?.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 07:56
|
#33
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hell
Age: 50
Posts: 5,956
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
Can you set a reminder?.
|
Yes you can as it is the remind and record option. Have not had a full mess around with it yet.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 07:59
|
#34
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate
Yes you can as it is the remind and record option. Have not had a full mess around with it yet.
|
Thanks devil and l suspect being down here in deepest Devon we will probably be one of the last to get it.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 08:46
|
#35
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,588
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
I've set various reminders through the next few days - not anything I want to watch - just because I can and it'll drive Mrs G mad  .
Don't know about the improved search because I've never used the old version!
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 09:19
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 51
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
For the first time ever Bristol seems to be at the head of the queue!
My box obviously updated overnight and the remind and record option was showing when I set a series record for later tonight. Have had no time to see what else may have changed.
However when I have a couple of hours to spare I shall be on the phone to retentions to try to cancel or at least find out when my contract expires and how much to buy out. I watch a lot on Sky Sports (all 4 channels) and the latest price rise is a bridge too far - and to add insult to injury as a favoured customer I have a tickle to let me watch VOD movies on a service I have absolutely no interest in!
Hopefully I can negotiate a decent deal to revert my TV back to Sky! I only wish BT would sort out my exchange so I had an option for broadband.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 09:27
|
#37
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by montehampster
... to add insult to injury as a favoured customer I have a tickle to let me watch VOD movies on a service I have absolutely no interest in!
|
BIB...Seriously?  that is hardly VMs fault.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 09:32
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,666
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Reminder funtion would be better if it gave you the choice just to autotune rather that autotune and record. In saying that just glad it's here. Let's u get on with stuff safe in the knowledge that it will turn over at the start of the football and you wont miss the start.
Well done Virgin, fix my interenet and all will be well.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 09:55
|
#39
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
I believe due to the way that TiVo functions the remind and record option was the only way reminders could be implemented.
---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by montehampster
For the first time ever Bristol seems to be at the head of the queue!
My box obviously updated overnight and the remind and record option was showing when I set a series record for later tonight. Have had no time to see what else may have changed.
However when I have a couple of hours to spare I shall be on the phone to retentions to try to cancel or at least find out when my contract expires and how much to buy out. I watch a lot on Sky Sports (all 4 channels) and the latest price rise is a bridge too far - and to add insult to injury as a favoured customer I have a tickle to let me watch VOD movies on a service I have absolutely no interest in!
Hopefully I can negotiate a decent deal to revert my TV back to Sky! I only wish BT would sort out my exchange so I had an option for broadband.
|
Sky probably won't be much if any cheaper at all.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 10:17
|
#40
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I believe due to the way that TiVo functions the remind and record option was the only way reminders could be implemented.
|
The V+HD boxes have a dedicated live tuner so there was always a way to watch what you've set the reminder for
Because TiVo uses all tuners for recording, having it set a recording as well as the reminder guarantees that you'll be able to watch what you want reminding about - matching the way it works on the V+ HD box.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 10:18
|
#41
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 51
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Agreed only about £5 per month cheaper except of course the 4 Sports Channels plus Sky Sports News will be in HD (I already dropped the Virgin £7 charge for two channels with the April increase), plus the extra channels etc. Two price increases in less than 6 months is taking the proverbial in my opinion. It seems Virgin IMHO have their priorities all wrong. Reminders are pointless with three recording tuners - a dynamic EPG is essential.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 10:40
|
#42
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost
Reminder funtion would be better if it gave you the choice just to autotune rather that autotune and record. In saying that just glad it's here. Let's u get on with stuff safe in the knowledge that it will turn over at the start of the football and you wont miss the start.
|
Except if you're out; or on the phone, or some other reason which stops you from being infront of the TV
Quote:
Well done Virgin, fix my interenet and all will be well.
|
What? You want miracles too? 
---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
Because TiVo uses all tuners for recording, having it set a recording as well as the reminder guarantees that you'll be able to watch what you want reminding about - matching the way it works on the V+ HD box.
|
Which kinda makes the actual "remind" function pointless. Just start watching the recording when you're ready
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 10:43
|
#43
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by montehampster
It seems Virgin IMHO have their priorities all wrong. Reminders are pointless with three recording tuners - a dynamic EPG is essential.
|
However, it depends on ease of implementation
Adding a pop up to a planned recording is a reasonably small extension to existing functionality
As I understand it a Dynamic EPG would be a complete change to the core way of how TiVo gets EPG updates.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible, but it makes sense to set your priority in order of how easy it is to do.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 11:12
|
#44
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Herts
Services: A mix of XXL and XL
Posts: 630
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by montehampster
Reminders are pointless with three recording tuners - a dynamic EPG is essential.
|
Reminders are very important to me
I received my update last night right in the middle of watching TV after finishing work, had to have an early night instead
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 11:14
|
#45
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 51
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
That sums up Virgin's attitude to customer service. Implement what is easiest/best for Virgin not want their paying customers want and need. Pointless having a reminder or a recording set if the programme starts late or moves channel because of sports or other over run. Can't believe how many times recently the EPG has been wrong. Even a Tivo "suggestion" recorded the wrong programme because the Olympic coverage over ran.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:01.
|