Superhub not in modem only mode?
12-08-2012, 15:16
|
#1
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
|
Superhub not in modem only mode?
Hi,
Been lurking here for a while and decided to join today.
I have a question regarding the Superhub and an external router (Asus RT-N66).
I`ve been having trouble every morning just after 10 am everyday on the dot where i`m losing Packets and the adslguide ping monitor shows this, I thought i`d try the Superhub with my router not in modem only mode.
I am trying to receive ICMP pings and have put my router in DMZ but no joy
I`m sure i`ve seen some of you do this?
|
|
|
12-08-2012, 15:58
|
#2
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
As you're in router mode on the SH, you would need to enable the ICMP ping function in the SH's Firewall menu. Have you done this?
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
12-08-2012, 16:12
|
#3
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
As you're in router mode on the SH, you would need to enable the ICMP ping function in the SH's Firewall menu. Have you done this?
|
Hi,
The superhub`s firewall is not ticked, will give it a try now.
|
|
|
12-08-2012, 16:22
|
#4
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
When you've set the ICMP on in the firewall, you can / should turn the FW OFF! Check that the ICMP is still set. Keeping FW on in the SH will give you grief.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
12-08-2012, 17:15
|
#5
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Ok?
Firewall is now unchecked with all 3 box`s enabled at the bottom.
---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------
Ok, Just a follow up, I found the ICMP setting in Tools\Ping :/
Strange place to put it lol
---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------
OK,
1 final question
Do I leave upnp on both devices.
BTW i don`t know if it `s coincidental but i`m getting 12.4mb downloads, fastest it`s ever been
|
|
|
12-08-2012, 18:39
|
#6
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Is the packet loss gone? I'd have to leave the upnp question to someone else. Instinctively I'd say you can have it set any which way in both devices.
My main advice, though, is to get back to modem mode!
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
12-08-2012, 21:04
|
#7
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Is the packet loss gone? I'd have to leave the upnp question to someone else. Instinctively I'd say you can have it set any which way in both devices.
My main advice, though, is to get back to modem mode!
|
Hi mate,
Won`t know until 10am tomorrow. Will let you know.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...edeaa5023.html
This is every day same time, very strange
I had some guy from Virgin knock on the door saying there was "Noise" coming from my house, he was from "Cab Cleanups", I said to him I was going to jack Virgin in as I was within my 28 days, he found something in the box on the wall was loose and he had a workmate at the bottom of the road checking if it was fixed. I asked him if there was congestion in the area and he said no.
At the moment we are on 5 channels in my area and my power levels range from 4.9 - 7.2, my upstream power is ok apparently. We are due an upgrade in October - December and I have seen Virgin laying some new fibre cable in the area (Yellow cog with cable on it). Only thnig that worries me is we have FTTC in my cab on 30th Sept (Cab been here month`s ago but BT been bit slow) and really don`t want to be stuck if this is regular on Virgin.
I did get 100mb at 60mb prices because of the problems I have had. £28 something.
|
|
|
12-08-2012, 21:21
|
#8
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
I can say this for sure. Being in modem mode will not cause lost packets provided that your ASUS router doesn't block pings (which it didn't in the morning).
It's wortth checking your Virgin IP address when this happens - to make sure that when it happens it's the same IP address as before. But if VM knocked on your door and said your house was the source of noise, that noise was affecting other people's upstream; hence VM's interest in getting it fixed.
When you get the red out, what is your connection doing in termns of usability?
Has he fixed it? Is there any electrically noisy house equipment that comes on in the morning?
Your DS power shouldn't vary by more tah 1 dBmv in current weather conditions - but your local street cab could be cooking - and anything can happen then during the hot part of the day. Does the cab lie in the sun from 10:00 onwards?
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
13-08-2012, 07:14
|
#9
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
I can say this for sure. Being in modem mode will not cause lost packets provided that your ASUS router doesn't block pings (which it didn't in the morning).
It's wortth checking your Virgin IP address when this happens - to make sure that when it happens it's the same IP address as before. But if VM knocked on your door and said your house was the source of noise, that noise was affecting other people's upstream; hence VM's interest in getting it fixed.
When you get the red out, what is your connection doing in termns of usability?
Has he fixed it? Is there any electrically noisy house equipment that comes on in the morning?
Your DS power shouldn't vary by more tah 1 dBmv in current weather conditions - but your local street cab could be cooking - and anything can happen then during the hot part of the day. Does the cab lie in the sun from 10:00 onwards?
|
Wow you really are clever, I live on a Cliff, our cabinet is just round the corner facing East, it does in fact get the sun at sunrise to just gone 11am. The other thing that may be an issue (maybe you no more), I notice my neighbour has an old CRT tv on the opposite side to mine where my superhub is. Anything do you think?
|
|
|
13-08-2012, 08:00
|
#10
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
So it's not the sun, then. The cabinet would cook if it was in direct sunlight (summer) for the rest of the say after 11:00.
So, as I asked before, during the reds period, what is your internet experience? Can we see today's TBB graph later on?
On your neighbour's CRT, I can't see that as RF noisy. An old washing machine or fridge could be noisy if there's a bit of arcing or something.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
13-08-2012, 09:05
|
#11
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Hi mate,
Yes will post it up later today, had to got back to Modem mode, lots of issues with NAT
As for usage, none at all (well very little). The reason I notice problems is I have an internet radio in the kitchen and it keeps going off when I get this trouble.
---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------
Yes it`s happening again.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...edeaa5023.html
---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------
OMG, just checked my signal levels :-
-12`s, hmm dodgy amp in cabinet?
Rung Virgin they out on wednesday. Very helpful chap in Swansea.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75843715/poor%20signal.JPG
---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------
|
|
|
13-08-2012, 09:07
|
#12
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Does that mean your Virgin Internet is off or just the radio? If you don't use the internet radio, does this happen?
Could you post up your modem stats in full, refreshing the upstream to see whether or not it is rising towards 55 dBmv?
Also the Network Logf might tell us a bit more as to what's happening.
A red out like that if it happened on my system would mean one of two things:
1. My IP address had changed and thus TBB couldn't pick the circuit up (well, yours has changed because you went back to modm mode)
2. There's so much noise on the circuit that nothing works. This is what we have to bottom out IMO.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
13-08-2012, 09:13
|
#13
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Yeah red box is when I change in and out of modem only mode.
---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------
And now the levels are back to normal :-
|
|
|
13-08-2012, 09:17
|
#14
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
That's defo down to VM. If it were a dodgy amp, your neighbours would be suffering too. Are all your connectors tight?
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
13-08-2012, 09:29
|
#15
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 97
|
Re: Superhub not in modem only mode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
That's defo down to VM. If it were a dodgy amp, your neighbours would be suffering too. Are all your connectors tight?
|
Yep the engineer use mulgrips.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 04:06.
|