18-07-2012, 11:15
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leamington Spa
Services: 152mb Broadband only
Posts: 143
|
What should I be paying?
I renegotiated my package in Januaray, got a Superhub for £15 and upgraded from 20 to 50mb. I have the M sized TV and Phone, both never used and indeed the tv box is disconnected and handset no longer working. For this I am now paying £41 per month.
The official package is XXL Broadband, M TV and M phone. As I have said currently running at 50mb and should be doubled to 100 (delayed for several months now).
Looking at the VM pages this pricing is not looking attractive! I could be getting 60Mb for for £18.50 or 100Mb for £25.50 including the useless phone!
What do others pay?
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 11:34
|
#2
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Duplicate thread removed.Please do not post more than one thread on an issue.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 12:10
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD
>Phone M
Posts: 483
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Hi
From what i have understand the little time i am with VM is threaded like other isp, meaning special offers, loyalty offers etc may run individual
Best think what prices are around at this time check and try to build your own bundle here
http://store.virginmedia.com/build-your-bundle#
Compare and maybe get a better deal?
I have the VIP 100mb with 1t tivo extra v-box,xl phone-xl tv and all sky\hd-premium sports-moviesat the moment for £98(was offer 2 months ago)
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 13:14
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
Posts: 501
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenMackin
Looking at the VM pages this pricing is not looking attractive! I could be getting 60Mb for for £18.50 or 100Mb for £25.50 including the useless phone!
|
Those prices don't include the phone so you need to add £13.90/month to those figures.
Broadband can be had without the phone line and it's a few quid cheaper (£34.75 for 100Mb)
|
|
|
18-07-2012, 13:41
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leamington Spa
Services: 152mb Broadband only
Posts: 143
|
Re: What should I be paying?
OK, did some research and phoned VM option 5. Very helpful guy. Essentially I was paying too much and have had myself upgraded by 10mb to 60mb, had £10 off the bill and get some extra channels, however the old NTL box stopped working years ago so I am getting a new HD box. I didn't really need this but as it's offered and I am still quids in.... why not. I did check and will go to 120mb at some stage when they get around to it.
|
|
|
19-07-2012, 06:42
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenMackin
I did check and will go to 120mb at some stage when they get around to it.
|
don't think so dude. If you stayed on 50mbit you would have been doubled to 100mbit when they get round to the speed doubling and then ultimately 120mbit when they have completed the whole thing.
You have actually downgraded your tier and gone to 30mbit with a requested re-tier (or whatever they call it) to 60mbit. Basically 30mbits peeps ringing up and moaning and they get speed doubled for free before the network upgrades have been completed and adding to the congestion in the area (and a new 12 month contract).
Soooo, i hate to put a dampner on things but you have gone down a tier which might explain the price reduction.
|
|
|
19-07-2012, 07:19
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
Soooo, i hate to put a dampner on things but you have gone down a tier which might explain the price reduction.
|
True but he still gets faster downstream for less although the upstream will have dropped from 5 to 3 and the only upgrade coming - possibly when we see a bloke with a pointy tail on ice skates - is upstream to 6Mbps. Congestion won't be any different from what it was before.
As the phone and TV are unused he'd probably have been better off with my deal - bare 60Mbps for £25
|
|
|
19-07-2012, 20:15
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leamington Spa
Services: 152mb Broadband only
Posts: 143
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
don't think so dude. If you stayed on 50mbit you would have been doubled to 100mbit when they get round to the speed doubling and then ultimately 120mbit when they have completed the whole thing.
You have actually downgraded your tier and gone to 30mbit with a requested re-tier (or whatever they call it) to 60mbit. Basically 30mbits peeps ringing up and moaning and they get speed doubled for free before the network upgrades have been completed and adding to the congestion in the area (and a new 12 month contract).
Soooo, i hate to put a dampner on things but you have gone down a tier which might explain the price reduction.
|
Actually I took a deal that upgraded me from 50Mb to 60Mb and I kept the M size TV and phone, getting vhd box and a few extra channels. Will be doubled to 100 in the future and save £9 per month!
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 02:22
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: What should I be paying?
60mb is not going to be doubled to 100, ever.
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 06:36
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenMackin
Actually I took a deal that upgraded me from 50Mb to 60Mb and I kept the M size TV and phone, getting vhd box and a few extra channels. Will be doubled to 100 in the future and save £9 per month!
|
did you read my explanation  I am not trying to be horrible, I am just giving you a heads up because VM love to lie and I don't want you to get your hopes up for the future. Whilst you have increased speed now, that is it, you have been downgraded to a doubled 30mbit connection which is called a requested re-tier. If you had stayed on 50mbit then yes, you would have eventually been doubled to 100mbit for free. But part of the reason why are saving £9 per month is because you have gone down a tier on your BB connection.
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 06:56
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: What should I be paying?
.. and he could have saved more by ditching the phone and TV which he said here or in the other thread he doesn't want. As I said my bare 60Mbps costs £25 and he is paying an extra £7 = £84 a year for stuff he doesn't use.
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 08:41
|
#12
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 103
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Paying £30 a month for 100mbit, a phone line that's not been used since 2001 and TV box that's been sat in the loft gathering dust since 2008.
Tried to get rid of the phone and TV and just get 100mbit for £34.75 a month, however Virgin said if we keep the phone + basic tv package we can have everything for £30 a month... not sure how that works out, but hey not going to argue at £30 a month for 100mbit internet.
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 13:29
|
#13
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: What should I be paying?
I am paying £25 for mine
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 15:46
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leamington Spa
Services: 152mb Broadband only
Posts: 143
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks
.. and he could have saved more by ditching the phone and TV which he said here or in the other thread he doesn't want. As I said my bare 60Mbps costs £25 and he is paying an extra £7 = £84 a year for stuff he doesn't use.
|
Well it's horses for courses really. Ok so apparently I have been tiered to a doubled 30mb connection. However do note that my 50mb upgrade is not due to happen until December now and could even be May 2013. The phone will remain unused but the extra TV and the new box will be useful - mainly for a couple of extra channels that I know I will watch and the opportunity for catch up on demand and iplayer without having to sit at a computer or use the ipad. For now I am paying less per month, get an additional 10mb (all working at full speed this end) and a new tv box with extra useful stuff not available on Freeview. Come next year... back to retention and time to renegotiate. But I do agree, Virgin media is now like traveling on a cheap flight - with one passenger paying £100 to Barcelona and your neighbor £60!
|
|
|
20-07-2012, 15:53
|
#15
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,911
|
Re: What should I be paying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
60mb is not going to be doubled to 100, ever.
|
try telling support agents and techs that. ive been told twice ill get put on 120meg when it gets activated in Crawley.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:26.
|