Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Just got a warning letter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Just got a warning letter
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 20:31   #1
dex77
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancashire
Services: SkyHD, Virgin Media 100MB
Posts: 39
dex77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just got a warning letter

Hi, Is there any software out there or any other way so I can monitor who is downloading too much as I have 7 other people with laptops at home and I have no idea how much they are downloading I asked them and no one is owning up! as I just got a letter of Virgin Media saying were downloading too much and there going to put us on traffic management!.. I just went into the superhub (upgraded yesterday) and it says that we downloaded 20GB on the first day!!! I NEED to find out who is downloading! any ideas how i can monitor!
dex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 20:41   #2
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker
 
Sirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex77 View Post
Hi, Is there any software out there or any other way so I can monitor who is downloading too much as I have 7 other people with laptops at home and I have no idea how much they are downloading I asked them and no one is owning up! as I just got a letter of Virgin Media saying were downloading too much and there going to put us on traffic management!.. I just went into the superhub (upgraded yesterday) and it says that we downloaded 20GB on the first day!!! I NEED to find out who is downloading! any ideas how i can monitor!
Any chance you can copy the letter and put it on here, Make sure you remove identifiable information. It seems strange they are going back to there old ways again ??

As for tracking your bandwidth it would be difficult as you need to install the software on each laptop, The superhub is not so super when it come to tracking usage.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user

https://nobaraproject.org/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:45   #3
Milambar
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 954
Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just got a warning letter

20GB isn't really... that much, to be honest.

Think about it, the average HD bbc iPlayer program is 700mb to 1gb. Some software packages are more than 20GB...

In fact, I've already downloaded 32GB today according to the superhub, and thats mostly just from watching youtube streams and bbc iPlayer (yeah, it was a very slow day for me).

Also, I don't believe the counter on the superhub is hugely accurate.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:48   #4
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker
 
Sirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
20GB isn't really... that much, to be honest.

Think about it, the average HD bbc iPlayer program is 700mb to 1gb. Some software packages are more than 20GB...

In fact, I've already downloaded 32GB today according to the superhub, and thats mostly just from watching youtube streams and bbc iPlayer (yeah, it was a very slow day for me).

Also, I don't believe the counter on the superhub is hugely accurate.
Already done 150 gig this month in total so 20 gig by 7 users in one day is easily done.

BTW anyone who exceeds the limits set at certain times of the day will be STM'd.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable

http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/...shold_30Mb.pdf

http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/...shold_20Mb.pdf
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user

https://nobaraproject.org/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:54   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Just got a warning letter

I've downloaded a bigger blueray than that
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:54   #6
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker
 
Sirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I've downloaded a bigger blueray than that
That would be a Linux blueray
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user

https://nobaraproject.org/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 20:56   #7
babis3g
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
Posts: 483
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold
Re: Just got a warning letter

if you had extend the allowance i guess they will cape the line automatic with out sending letter
Or they system is not updated even they have made new policy?(general question)
Can you call them make sure they have not make any mistake?

and regards your question usually will need to install to each pc a band-witch meter and most are free and keep monitor in their laptop or get a good router where have monitor band-witch or pay some spy software(but i dont trust them even if they expensive because they must spy our pc too)
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:10   #8
dex77
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancashire
Services: SkyHD, Virgin Media 100MB
Posts: 39
dex77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Any chance you can copy the letter and put it on here, Make sure you remove identifiable information. It seems strange they are going back to there old ways again ??

As for tracking your bandwidth it would be difficult as you need to install the software on each laptop, The superhub is not so super when it come to tracking usage.
OLD WAY's? I thought this was there policy for anyone who goes over there limit!? anyways I'll type the jist of it..

Dear Mr...

WANT A FASTER BROADBAND SERVICE IN THE EVENING? READ ON!

As you may know with Virgin Broadband we don't limit the amount that you can download. However, we've recently noticed an unusually large amount of data being transferred over your broadband connection (daily between mid-day and midnight) at our busiest network time and this may have resulted in your connection being managed under our traffic management policy.

then the letter goes on to giving me a few tips on managing my broadband performance...

1. move 'non time critical' usage to after midnight.
2. Make sure my PC's security is upto date & active.
3 Make sure my wifi is secure
4. Other members of your household eating up your connection.

they elaborate on the points above.

I have no idea how much download is too much so am worried that I might get another letter!..
dex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:14   #9
martyh
Guest
 
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex77 View Post
OLD WAY's? I thought this was there policy for anyone who goes over there limit!? anyways I'll type the jist of it..

Dear Mr...

WANT A FASTER BROADBAND SERVICE IN THE EVENING? READ ON!

As you may know with Virgin Broadband we don't limit the amount that you can download. However, we've recently noticed an unusually large amount of data being transferred over your broadband connection (daily between mid-day and midnight) at our busiest network time and this may have resulted in your connection being managed under our traffic management policy.

then the letter goes on to giving me a few tips on managing my broadband performance...

1. move 'non time critical' usage to after midnight.
2. Make sure my PC's security is upto date & active.
3 Make sure my wifi is secure
4. Other members of your household eating up your connection.

they elaborate on the points above.

I have no idea how much download is too much so am worried that I might get another letter!..
I used to get letters like that all the time ,they are just advice letters to avoid traffic management ,ignore it or if you are bothered about being managed follow the advice
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:17   #10
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker
 
Sirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex77 View Post
OLD WAY's? I thought this was there policy for anyone who goes over there limit!? anyways I'll type the jist of it..

Dear Mr...

WANT A FASTER BROADBAND SERVICE IN THE EVENING? READ ON!

As you may know with Virgin Broadband we don't limit the amount that you can download. However, we've recently noticed an unusually large amount of data being transferred over your broadband connection (daily between mid-day and midnight) at our busiest network time and this may have resulted in your connection being managed under our traffic management policy.

then the letter goes on to giving me a few tips on managing my broadband performance...

1. move 'non time critical' usage to after midnight.
2. Make sure my PC's security is upto date & active.
3 Make sure my wifi is secure
4. Other members of your household eating up your connection.

they elaborate on the points above.

I have no idea how much download is too much so am worried that I might get another letter!..

Thats a lot less nasty than the old letters that were sent out, I know I had one of them.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user

https://nobaraproject.org/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:26   #11
dex77
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancashire
Services: SkyHD, Virgin Media 100MB
Posts: 39
dex77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Thats a lot less nasty than the old letters that were sent out, I know I had one of them.
lol yeh it was'nt that threatening but i would like to know how much in total we all download a month..
dex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:30   #12
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Just got a warning letter

everyone is stm'd during certain hours of the day as soon as they download more than a few gb so what they are have said in the letter applies to everyone all the time, they arent going to be doing anything special to punish you. It cracks me up though when these letters come out because I never understand what the criteria are for being sent one. The people I see get them download hardly anything at all yet I can download 120gb a day and never get one (I am not saying I do now but i have done in the past)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:54   #13
dex77
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancashire
Services: SkyHD, Virgin Media 100MB
Posts: 39
dex77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
if you had extend the allowance i guess they will cape the line automatic with out sending letter
Or they system is not updated even they have made new policy?(general question)
Can you call them make sure they have not make any mistake?

and regards your question usually will need to install to each pc a band-witch meter and most are free and keep monitor in their laptop or get a good router where have monitor band-witch or pay some spy software(but i dont trust them even if they expensive because they must spy our pc too)
No I don't think they've made a mistake we do use our broadband a lot. I didn't know that routers could monitor bandwidth I have a good router (Asus RT-N56U) so will check it out...

Thanks.
dex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 22:08   #14
jfish
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 52
jfish is on a distinguished roadjfish is on a distinguished road
Re: Just got a warning letter

if you have a ddwrt router you can run a script that will monitor bandwidth usage per users and have a web page up refreshing the data every 10 seconds
jfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 22:13   #15
babis3g
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
Posts: 483
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold
Re: Just got a warning letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex77 View Post
lol yeh it was'nt that threatening but i would like to know how much in total we all download a month..
they counting by some specific hours each day
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/table_30mb_800px2.jpg
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:10.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum