Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2012, 20:25   #16
David H
cf.member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Services: Virgin XL TV, 100 meg broadband
Posts: 90
David H is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

I got mine a week ago, two questions probably best asked here as it's already covering that function. One is although Freeview users have BBC teletext on the red button we appear not to, and when we lost Sky text many years ago when analogue was replaced (and most of the games, great move Virgin) although it admits there is no current agreement with other suppliers as yet we should get it on BBC channels. Nope, just links to other BBC services. I've used teletext since it began and you'd really think after paying well over £40 a month (note the Tivo rental went up 40% to £5 the minute VHS became obsolete) you wouldn't then lose a service available for almost 40 years for nothing.

Secondly I changed the picture aspect on the old box so everyone was the same shape they are in real life. I've scoured the buttons and instructions and appears I'm stuck with matchstalk men, cars, cats and dogs. Is there any means to alter this or is that yet another basic service gone down the toilet while I am obliged to pay an extra £5 a month (till it goes up again) for a worse service?
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2012, 21:32   #17
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

The aspect ratio settings are in Home -> Help&Settings -> Settings -> Video Output. Set the Aspect Correction Mode to Panel, and TV Aspect Ratio to match your TV.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 21:37   #18
starfish
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 73
starfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
There are a few; though un-documented

From "Home":
1 : Manage series links
2 : Planned recordings (todo list)
3 : Wishlists
4 : Search all TV
5 : Browse all TV

And I suspect that the reason for it is that there are so many options it would be pointless.


No idea, but shouldn't it be in the same place? (Don't use CU much!)
Thanks, Carl, that's really handy. I don't think the numbers on each menu would be pointless, the system worked very well on the V+ box. It's so much easier on the fingers if you can press just one number, instead of having to press the arrow several times.

As for the HD section, there is one but it lists 11 items! I haven't had the time to look through all the catch up programmes but there can't be only 11 HD ones, surely? There used to be five times that number on V+ and it was nice to browse the section for the documentaries etc in glorious HD.
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 22:13   #19
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I know everyone has different things that are important to them when it comes to choosing equipment, but I consider TiVo to be so good, and v+ to be so basic, that I am genuinely staggered when I hear people talk of "regretting" swapping. I'm not looking to restart a debate that's been done to death here and elsewhere, but I do think people need to be prepared to give TiVo some time before forming an opinion. I love it, and simply don't recognise some of the problems people describe. If you don't think something is working as it should, then report it.
I completely agree, andy. I would really hate to have to go back to a "dumb" DVR like the V+

---------- Post added at 23:13 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Thanks, Carl, that's really handy. I don't think the numbers on each menu would be pointless, the system worked very well on the V+ box.
Yes, because there were so few compared to Tivo
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 22:30   #20
harry_hitch
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cambs
Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
Posts: 1,094
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

It took about two to three weeks for my box to become consistent, but since then I have not looked back. Give it time, it will only improve!!
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 22:45   #21
xcellency
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
xcellency is on a distinguished roadxcellency is on a distinguished road
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Dang- I cancelled the tech this morning as OnDemand was up and running.. I was about to watch The Apprentice on catch up- there goes the OnDemand, AGAIN. Already getting sick and tired of this. I had V+ for over a year and NEVER had any problems. I've had TiVo for four days and we are yet to make any use of it Now I understand why our customers are frustrated.


---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
It took about two to three weeks for my box to become consistent, but since then I have not looked back. Give it time, it will only improve!!
For such a 'groundbreaking' piece of kit, why should it take time for the box to settle?
xcellency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 23:09   #22
harry_hitch
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cambs
Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
Posts: 1,094
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

I, personally, have very little idea (I think it has something to do with the many updates needed), but I am sure there are some very clever people on here who may be able inform you
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 01:27   #23
Sherlock Holmes
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Services: Virgin Media 60MB XL Broadband, XL TV with TiVo, XL phone.
Posts: 44
Sherlock Holmes is on a distinguished roadSherlock Holmes is on a distinguished road
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Ive recently swapped V+ to TiVo and can honestly say I prefered the TiVo box straight away (after a few hours getting used to the remote and menu's etc) .

The only thing Ive noticed negative about it so far is the sound on the iplayer was a bit overmodulated! Never noticed that problem before on the old V+ iplayer.
Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 04:59   #24
alexcopeland
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stevenage, Herts
Age: 46
Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
Posts: 519
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

I've had a TiVo for all most a year now and I too also noticed when using a Samsung HDTV that the picture quality looked worse than the Samsung V+ box I had before it. May I recommend you take the time as I did to a just all picture settings to correct this. I found by setting my HDTV to stop using the advanced mpeg and digital filters improved picture quality.
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 05:30   #25
Superblade7
cf.geek
 
Superblade7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sheffield
Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Signature with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM 500Mbps Broadband & Phone
Posts: 583
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellency View Post
Dang- I cancelled the tech this morning as OnDemand was up and running.. I was about to watch The Apprentice on catch up- there goes the OnDemand, AGAIN. Already getting sick and tired of this. I had V+ for over a year and NEVER had any problems. I've had TiVo for four days and we are yet to make any use of it Now I understand why our customers are frustrated.


---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------



For such a 'groundbreaking' piece of kit, why should it take time for the box to settle?
All the VOD is network dependant and it does sometimes depend on what time of day you are watching it and how many people are using your local network and it's capacity at the time. In an evening say between 7pm - 10pm you're more likely to get error messages saying it's unavailable but try the same content in a morning between 7am - 10am and it'll more likely work straight away.

In an ideal world it would work straight away all the time but the network simply can't handle the amount of traffic sometimes, especially in peak periods where many customers are watchin tv, VOD, online, etc.

However, if you're VOD never works on TiVo it's likely to be a fault with the signal levels which will require a tech visit to sort out.

I'd definitely recommend you persevere with TiVo, I swapped my old Samsung V+ for TiVo about 10 months ago and found some features frustrating at first but over time as you get used to TiVo and TiVo gets used to you, it is definitely superior in all ways to V+ (bar the odd missing feature although they are "coming soon").
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 07:52   #26
Itshim
Do I care what you think
 
Itshim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
Itshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze array
Itshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze arrayItshim has a bronze array
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

I Repeat its not the technology that I have a problem with , nor the picture or sound. Its for what ever reason the lack of a "working" red button - down to the BBC I take it. & the lack of reminders - I know the argument , but that in no way negates the point. For ME & way I wish to use my PVR/set top box. It falls down. When these issues are completely addressed it will be my box of choice.Until then to ME it will be second best & if I was asked to pay a premium as it stands I would not take it. However that does not mean that it is, for other people far better than the V+ . I just wish fanboys would accept that it is not quite right for some users.
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 07:59   #27
spiderplant
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellency View Post
Dang- I cancelled the tech this morning as OnDemand was up and running.. I was about to watch The Apprentice on catch up- there goes the OnDemand, AGAIN. Already getting sick and tired of this. I had V+ for over a year and NEVER had any problems. I've had TiVo for four days and we are yet to make any use of it Now I understand why our customers are frustrated.
What error are you getting?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 08:11   #28
xcellency
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
xcellency is on a distinguished roadxcellency is on a distinguished road
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I Repeat its not the technology that I have a problem with , nor the picture or sound. Its for what ever reason the lack of a "working" red button - down to the BBC I take it. & the lack of reminders - I know the argument , but that in no way negates the point. For ME & way I wish to use my PVR/set top box. It falls down. When these issues are completely addressed it will be my box of choice.Until then to ME it will be second best & if I was asked to pay a premium as it stands I would not take it. However that does not mean that it is, for other people far better than the V+ . I just wish fanboys would accept that it is not quite right for some users.
Well put. TiVo is apparently 'changing the way you watch TV', 'innovative', 'groundbreaking' etc etc...it's all well advertising it as the next big since sliced bread- fix the damn network issues!

I rely heavily on OnDemand- so far it has been of zero use to me. Btw, my OnDemand is still not working.
xcellency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 08:51   #29
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellency View Post
For such a 'groundbreaking' piece of kit, why should it take time for the box to settle?
It doesn't; or at least it shouldn't. Mine certainly didn't

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcellency View Post
Well put. TiVo is apparently 'changing the way you watch TV', 'innovative', 'groundbreaking' etc etc...it's all well advertising it as the next big since sliced bread- fix the damn network issues!
Well it is for those who don't want to go backwards with old features like reminders

As I said before, do they have OD in the US and, if so, is it implemented in the same way? If not, that's why there's work to do on it.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 09:02   #30
Superblade7
cf.geek
 
Superblade7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sheffield
Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Signature with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM 500Mbps Broadband & Phone
Posts: 583
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TiVo installed yesterday- not a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I Repeat its not the technology that I have a problem with , nor the picture or sound. Its for what ever reason the lack of a "working" red button - down to the BBC I take it. & the lack of reminders - I know the argument , but that in no way negates the point. For ME & way I wish to use my PVR/set top box. It falls down. When these issues are completely addressed it will be my box of choice.Until then to ME it will be second best & if I was asked to pay a premium as it stands I would not take it. However that does not mean that it is, for other people far better than the V+ . I just wish fanboys would accept that it is not quite right for some users.
I can completely understand your frustration, with any service you pay for, it's got to meet your own personal needs otherwise it's clearly not right for you. If red button and reminders are key to you then TiVo is probably not for you at present. The BBC red button apps for news and sport have now launched on TiVo although the sport one is limited at present but as with reminders, there is more "coming soon".

For me TiVo is excellent as the intuitive nature it records suggestions, automatically reschedules to avoid recording clashes, the 14 day EPG and larger HDD were the biggest draws.

Whilst we may not agree on TiVo we definitely agree that it is all about personal preference.
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:16.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum