Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WiFi is intermittent

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WiFi is intermittent

Old 25-01-2012, 12:01   #1
Rosamond
Inactive

Rosamond is an unknown quantity at this point
WiFi is intermittent

Hello, i am new here and dont know a great deal about techy things.
I have my Pc upstairs and i keep my router/modem on all the time. Over the past 3/4 months i am having problems connecting to the internet from my phone,ipad and laptop which i use downstairs. The PC upstairs has no problem. Over the past couple of weeks i keep gettin the message "you are not connected to the internet" and this is usually around 5pm till 8pm.Previous to that it was happening in the mornings. My phone,ipad,laptop struggles to get any webpages when it does finally get a signal. They show that there is a signal coming from upstairs and when i try the pc everything is ok.
Its like there are too many people using my wavelength? Hubby said it doesn't happen like that with cable broadband but thats what it seems like.
Everytime i ring the engineers they tell me to reset the router change the password and other names for the connection This has no effect and i feel i am just being fobbed off! Can anyone help?
Rosamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2012, 13:42   #2
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: WiFi is intermittent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosamond View Post

Hello, i am new here and dont know a great deal about techy things.
I have my Pc upstairs and i keep my router/modem on all the time. Over the past 3/4 months i am having problems connecting to the internet from my phone,ipad and laptop which i use downstairs. The PC upstairs has no problem. Over the past couple of weeks i keep gettin the message "you are not connected to the internet" and this is usually around 5pm till 8pm.Previous to that it was happening in the mornings. My phone,ipad,laptop struggles to get any webpages when it does finally get a signal. They show that there is a signal coming from upstairs and when i try the pc everything is ok.
Its like there are too many people using my wavelength? Hubby said it doesn't happen like that with cable broadband but thats what it seems like.
Everytime i ring the engineers they tell me to reset the router change the password and other names for the connection This has no effect and i feel i am just being fobbed off! Can anyone help?

it is a problem with your router wireless most likely and the common cause is the channel id, to be fair it outside the remit of virgin tehcincally support othr than to change the channel on a router they have supplied if it is one oyu have bought there unlikely ot help much,

since yoru not tech svvy i would need ot give details instructiosn on how to change the wireless channel but unfortnally i dnt have the time, but if oyu can post the make an model of your wireless router someone can try post the information required
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:06   #3
Rosamond
Inactive

Thank you.
The make and model of my router is Netgear WGR614
Old 25-01-2012, 17:23   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Nothing to do with VM internet so moved to networking
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 14:24   #5
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

You don't say if your PC upstairs is wired or wireless. where is your router?
The number of people using your frequency is nothing to do with cable/ADSL at all as your PC seems fine. Hubby is right. It's down to your wireless settings. The fact that you have problems at peak times verifies this.

If you are brave, try downloading Xirrus WiFi inspector or InSSIDer (google them). Both are similar. They will show you who your WiFi neighbours are by each channel. All you have to do is find a quiet channel or one with a small signal compared to yours, log into your router and change the channel to the quiet one. Wait a few minutes for yor devices to catch up and you should be sorted.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 16:22   #6
Rosamond
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: WiFi is intermittent

Thank you so much for your help. I have done that and i think its ok now. There were 4 neighbours on the same channel so i have changed mine like you said
Old 29-01-2012, 19:01   #7
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Don't you just love it when that happens?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 20:10   #8
Rosamond
Inactive

Old 29-01-2012, 23:00   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote