Hi
Yes, recently I have connected Virgin V+ box with Dell Monitor. It is very simple straight forward but the HDMI wire will be needed for sending Picture and Sound.
I know it is something you don't want to consider but I am just adding here so, every one will be able to see it as I was not able to find the correct process when started lookign for it

. Please follow below steps:
-First you need the HDMI cable. I bought 10m HDMI cable from amazon :
Ex-Pro Premium 10m Gold HDMI to HDMI Lead Cable (Check Amazon Site) - COst (8 pounds)
-Then you need hdmi spiltter. I used "FORPOWER 2 output 1 input 2 Port HDMI splitter" Cost 15 pounds (Check Amazon Site). You can ignore this if you want to watch TV only at one place at a time by changing the HDMI cable socket from back of Virgin box manually each time.
-Now, as you have Dell Monitor which does not have Sound & HDMI Port then I would recommend you to buy "HDMI to VGA Audio Video Converter 1080P - UK Plug" (Check Amazon site) Cost around 20 pounds. You will need to put HDMI cable socket as a input to this instrument(This will convert HDMI signal to Analogue- VGA & Sound). Sound Jack is available in the equipment. You can then connect your Dell Monitor to it via VGA and speaker Jack can go to this instrument.
-Last and very important bit is to operate your V+ remote from destination (the place where your Dell Monitor is). To resolve this you can buy "Marmitek PowerMid XL infrared extender set" (Check Amazon site) It will cost you around 26 pounds. Very easy to set just need to place one instrument near to V+ box and other into your room where you want to watch TV on your Dell Monitor.
-Optional step is to Mount your Dell Monitor on to the Wall. This bit every one knows
So, in total you will spend:
HDMI cable : 8
HDMI to VGA Audio Video Converter 1080P : 20
"FORPOWER 2 output 1 in 2 Port HDMI splitter: 15
Marmitek PowerMid XL infrared extender set: 26
Bracket for Wall Mount: 10
----------------------------------------------------
Total 79 Pounds
----------------------------------------------------
Comparison:
-New TV will cost you 150 for 24 inch LCD HD ready and you will still need above step but you can remove "HDMI to VGA convertor" saves 20 pounds but still need to pay 130 pounds more on top
Also, if you go for Multi room then you need to pay 50 pounds for the box installation if your box is free otherwise 50 pounds for the box too and monthly package cost
I have tried to help as I was not able to find above information when I was trying to do it.
Good Luck,
Kamal Gulati