Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
View Poll Results: Are You Theistic (Believe in religion), Agnostic (Believe in 'something') or Atheist?
Theist 13 23.64%
Agnostic 10 18.18%
Atheist 32 58.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2011, 14:46   #76
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Begs the question are there religions without a deity?
Buddhism.

imho, some contributors to this thread are antitheist, rather than atheist.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-11-2011, 14:57   #77
Pierre
cf.mega poster
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 13,331
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Buddhism.
.
Bhuddhism is more a philosophy ,

Bhuddism does not require the follower to have blind faith or worship a deity.

Bhuddism is search for inner sprituality and self discovery, rather than being dictated to by an all powerful god.

http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell03.htm
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 15:01   #78
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 13 years?!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bolton
Age: 60
Services: BT Superfast Broadband
Posts: 1,858
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

I'm atheist - I always have been and have never seen any reason whatsoever to alter my position. Certain religions do get my goat, JW especially after that business where a 15-year-old girl was allowed to die by her parents because a routine operation she needed would have necessitated a transfusion. Sheer barbarism. Why didn't anyone ask her what she wanted? Had I been the doctor in charge of her case, I'd have treated her anyway and risked being struck off; I can't see how s/he could live with the knowledge that that poor girl died needlessly, for nothing, when they had everything they needed to save her...except for a society that wouldn't permit such crimes to occur. There was no excuse, none at all.

Right, that's enough of the rant; back O/T.

All these prophets claiming to know the will of the Almighty who created the entire Universe - no, I'm sorry but that's just unbridled arrogance. Who did they think they were?! As Bill Hicks said re the people reinterpreting the Bible to say what they reckon God meant, "I've never been that confident."

"Oh, my Me! I've left pot growing everywhere! If the humans see that, they'll think they're supposed to use it!"
__________________
"People tend to confuse the words 'new' and 'improved'."
- Agent Phil Coulson, S.H.I.E.L.D.

WINDOWS 11/UK 'GOVERNMENT', ANYONE?!
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 15:43   #79
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
 
Maggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
tbf, we are counting the angels on the head of a pin here..

I always thought that Atheism was disbelief in the existence of God(s), rather than a lack of faith in them (whatever that means....).
That's my understanding of the meaning of the term atheist. I say there are no gods. However I believe in everything else including intangibles such as love and hatred.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:03   #80
martyh
Guest
 
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

I see nothing in the world or universe that says to me that this was all created by a supernatural being, that isn't a belief, it's an observation.
but it's an observation you believe
  Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:07   #81
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
As I said, the poll is very flawed and too restrictive.
It also perhaps should have been multiple choice?

I can't honestly put myself into a single category.. I have doubts as to a god but believe that any religion is as real as those who believe in it.. Also I'm open to religion as such being explained away (or proven) by either explanations that we can't understand or haven't yet discovered or the possibility that science will dismiss all religion with irrefutable proof in the future.

I've had enough labels put on me in my 42 (nearly 43) years of existence that these days I don't worry too much about labels (that is if I exist at all as I could simple be a figment of some aliens imagination in another dimension????)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:08   #82
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,602
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

is pedantry a religion ?
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:15   #83
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Mod
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,023
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
but it's an observation you believe
That's where I got confused after Chris' post. I think the difference is what is underpinning that belief, faith or a lack thereof.

---------- Post added at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I can't honestly put myself into a single category.. I have doubts as to a god but believe that any religion is as real as those who believe in it.. Also I'm open to religion as such being explained away (or proven) by either explanations that we can't understand or haven't yet discovered or the possibility that science will dismiss all religion with irrefutable proof in the future.
That, to me, would be classed as agnosticism. I am not sure what you mean by 'I believe that any religion is as real as those who believe in it', the religion is real but the belief in a deity doesn't become and more or less real dependent on the number of people who believe it.

Also, it's very very unlikely science will ever dismiss religion with irrefutable proof. As I said, science can only act on the material world and even then it can't really prove everything because there is always the possibility that something new will come along and blow everything out of the water.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:15   #84
Gary L
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
but it's an observation you believe
It's a lot like where some people say there are monsters.
those that don't believe are making an observation that they believe otherwise.

it's the same with fairies.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 16:38   #85
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar
 
TheDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,501
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
is pedantry a religion ?
If it is then I think we have some of it's biggest acolytes here amongst us.
__________________
Sports Babble
TheDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 18:18   #86
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
It also perhaps should have been multiple choice?
I gave my suggestions for more appropriate multiple choices at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35329619-post38.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I can't honestly put myself into a single category.. I have doubts as to a god but believe that any religion is as real as those who believe in it.. Also I'm open to religion as such being explained away (or proven) by either explanations that we can't understand or haven't yet discovered or the possibility that science will dismiss all religion with irrefutable proof in the future.
I think a far more agreeable way to look at things is that science explains the 'how', a belief system/faith/whatever explains the 'why'.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 18:48   #87
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
That, to me, would be classed as agnosticism. I am not sure what you mean by 'I believe that any religion is as real as those who believe in it', the religion is real but the belief in a deity doesn't become and more or less real dependent on the number of people who believe it.

Also, it's very very unlikely science will ever dismiss religion with irrefutable proof. As I said, science can only act on the material world and even then it can't really prove everything because there is always the possibility that something new will come along and blow everything out of the water.
If someone believes something is real who am I to doubt their belief, but I have my own viewpoint and although a lot of science is theoretical the scientists believe in the theory yet it doesn't make me a scientist nor do I know that the theory is correct

As for science proving religion is right or wrong well we might as well believe the earth is the centre of the universe because that's the way god made it..

In simple terms what we believe and what we know can change as time goes by and that change is sometimes beyond our control.. My viewpoint is that change is inevitable so it's best to have an open mind. That's not agnostic especially as I accept other peoples beliefs as well as my own even if they conflict

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

So my final word is that if it was a multiple choice vote then I simple would have ticked all three choices
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 19:24   #88
Pierre
cf.mega poster
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 13,331
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
but it's an observation you believe
FFS, any chance of an intelligent discussion here. Just what is the point you are trying to make?

I don't need to believe it, I know it.

Again, during these type of discussions about religion people need to separate the religious meaning of faith, belief etc from the normal one.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 19:32   #89
martyh
Guest
 
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
FFS, any chance of an intelligent discussion here. Just what is the point you are trying to make?

I don't need to believe it, I know it.

Again, during these type of discussions about religion people need to separate the religious meaning of faith, belief etc from the normal one.
aside from being a little bit civil to other members if it's not too much trouble i would ask how the hell can you possibly know something that has not been proven one way or the other in about 4,000 yrs ,some people believe that a deity exists and some people believe that one does not absolutely no-one including you knows that one does or does not
  Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 19:44   #90
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Mod
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,023
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
If someone believes something is real who am I to doubt their belief, but I have my own viewpoint and although a lot of science is theoretical the scientists believe in the theory yet it doesn't make me a scientist nor do I know that the theory is correct [/reply]

You don't have to doubt their belief. I don't. It's just we're discussing what we individually think.

As for science, their theories are tested and retested. You can see it in action every day. The theory of relativity helps your SatNav work while evolution can been seen on a small scale in viruses and bacteria whilst having a ample amount of evidence to back it up in the long term. None of this has to conflict with religion but it's a reason why I don't believe science requires any sort of faith.

[reply]In simple terms what we believe and what we know can change as time goes by and that change is sometimes beyond our control.. My viewpoint is that change is inevitable so it's best to have an open mind. That's not agnostic especially as I accept other peoples beliefs as well as my own even if they conflict
I accept peoples' beliefs, I just don't share their belief. You can keep an open mind whilst maintaining a belief in something. I am an atheist but if there was evidence of a god then I would change that (admittedly I am pretty convinced that will never happen). If your more open to the existence of a god but you have doubts then that is a textbox definition of a agnostic.

You can't be all three however, you can't be a theist and a atheist, they are mutually exclusive.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:42.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum