Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
View Poll Results: Are You Theistic (Believe in religion), Agnostic (Believe in 'something') or Atheist?
Theist 13 23.64%
Agnostic 10 18.18%
Atheist 32 58.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 15:16   #46
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,602
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
I'm not religious at all. there are too many horrendous things in this world that no 'all loving God' would allow to happen. and please don't bring 'free will' into this - no one chooses to have a disease or illness that kills them slowly and painfully.
that sounds like your saying a bad god did it to them -in which case you might want to re-evaluate your position .
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-11-2011, 15:20   #47
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I was working on a friends car the other day and 2 religious nutters that Russ speaks of came up the drive and introduced themselves. I politely told them that I'm not interested. but the one questioned me and asked as if it was unusual "don't you follow a faith?"

I said "Islam"

they were so rude just walking away.

I think if we got rid of the "religious nutters" then the rest of us normal religious and non religious people would feel a lot better.
I find this story hard to believe.





You have a friend?
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 15:21   #48
martyh
Guest
 
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
White people can follow Islam you know Marty.

I could have told them to go away you nutters! that would have been rude.
yes they can ,but you don't and you could have just told them to go away .Just because someone tries to talk to you about their religion does not make them a nutter
  Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 15:27   #49
Gary L
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You have a friend?
Apart from you. just that one with the car

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
yes they can ,but you don't and you could have just told them to go away
Then you'd tell me I was rude for telling them to clear off.

Quote:
Just because someone tries to talk to you about their religion does not make them a nutter
Maybe not. but I can tell myself that they are.
you don't know if the other one was reading verses from the bible to the spare wheel, because I never told you that.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 15:39   #50
idi banashapan
step on my trip
 
idi banashapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,766
idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
that sounds like your saying a bad god did it to them -in which case you might want to re-evaluate your position .
lol - no. definitely not. there is no God at all imo.
__________________
“Most people don’t listen to understand. They listen to reply. Be different.”

- Jefferson Fisher
idi banashapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 17:18   #51
RizzyKing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Way i look at it life can sometimes be less then pleasant for many of us for many different reasons and i support anything people can do to relieve life if that means a faith all power to them if it means something else same thing. I judge people on who they are and how they act around me and mine skin colour, culture or religious belief make no odds with me i have seen good and bad in all of the above no such thing as a general type of any of the three.

Simple view i know but i cannot help feel sometimes if everyone did the same our world would be a much more peaceful and happier place then it is now can but hope and all that eh .
  Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 18:02   #52
peanut
NUTS !!
 
peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,323
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

I don't believe in God, I don't believe in magic, miracles etc etc as there's never been a shred of proof.

I don't think it's fair to push children into religion (as stated here already).

I really don't care what people believe in, as long as it's not pushed onto others.

I can say I don't like religion much, based on my own experiences, and from those that base their own decisions on religion, meaning logic, common sense and all that doesn't apply, just based on a dream, feeling etc or as such. If an atheist did this, they'd be locked up.

I can also say I'm really interested in religion, Gods, bible, anything and everything about it, yet, it feels too much like you can't discuss it with those that are religious. I also don't like all the defending, borderline aggressiveness, then the dismissive attitudes from believers when asked basic questions.

I also feel that those that are religious, feel superior, somehow better than those that don't believe. Which doesn't help matters.

I do agree with Maggy though, it does have some good points. I can't spend that amount of time on it to say whether it's worth it all though.
__________________
Oh what fun it is
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:02   #53
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
 
Maggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

I really dig Gregorian chants.I find them very soothing even though I don't believe the sentiments.

Christian sponsorship of some the greatest artists helped to push art forward.Music would have been poorer if not for the technical strides taken in religious music.Some of the most splendid architecture are religious buildings and the lessons learned in building them helped to push architecture forward. Religion has had some positive effects.

The danger in religion is that the corrupt at heart use the faith of others to push their own agendas and leads to cultists and even to terrorism.In the end it's not religion that is bad..it's those who misuse it's message who are bad.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:06   #54
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I don't believe in God, I don't believe in magic, miracles etc etc as there's never been a shred of proof.
Sup to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I don't think it's fair to push children into religion (as stated here already).
You call it pushing, I call it bringing my kids up the best way I know how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I really don't care what people believe in, as long as it's not pushed onto others.
Agreed, as long as that applies to atheism too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I can say I don't like religion much, based on my own experiences, and from those that base their own decisions on religion, meaning logic, common sense and all that doesn't apply, just based on a dream, feeling etc or as such. If an atheist did this, they'd be locked up.
Politicians do it all the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I can also say I'm really interested in religion, Gods, bible, anything and everything about it, yet, it feels too much like you can't discuss it with those that are religious. I also don't like all the defending, borderline aggressiveness, then the dismissive attitudes from believers when asked basic questions.
Could that be due to the 'borderline aggressiveness' with which those 'basic questions' asked? There are irresponsible attitudes on ALL sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I also feel that those that are religious, feel superior, somehow better than those that don't believe. Which doesn't help matters.
Some are I guess but have you seen how smug Richard Dawkins always seems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I do agree with Maggy though, it does have some good points. I can't spend that amount of time on it to say whether it's worth it all though.
But you have spent enough time to have made up your mind on it though
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:14   #55
Gary L
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I also feel that those that are religious, feel superior, somehow better than those that don't believe. Which doesn't help matters.
I have to say, I agree with that.
Take Dot Cotton for instance

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Sup to you.



You call it pushing, I call it bringing my kids up the best way I know how.



Agreed, as long as that applies to atheism too.



Politicians do it all the time...



Could that be due to the 'borderline aggressiveness' with which those 'basic questions' asked? There are irresponsible attitudes on ALL sides.



Some are I guess but have you seen how smug Richard Dawkins always seems?



But you have spent enough time to have made up your mind on it though
I think peanut was talking in general, Russ.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:28   #56
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Me too.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 19:32   #57
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I have to say, I agree with that.
Take Dot Cotton for instance

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------



I think peanut was talking in general, Russ.
Excellent example.....
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 20:24   #58
ZrByte
Inactive
 
ZrByte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
yes they can ,but you don't and you could have just told them to go away .Just because someone tries to talk to you about their religion does not make them a nutter
Could have been Mormons. I have had two experiences with Mormons and both have been while I have been out on deliveries. Its not enough for them to just settle for the people who's doors they are knocking on but they also stop people on the street. I'm not talking about a busy high-street either, It was just a small residential side road. Both of these pairs where also quite happy to stop groups of kids from playing to try and hook a large group of (Easy targets?) Or so it appeared anyway. When they stopped me by standing in my way, I was particularly miffed (Mainly because I had just picked up a rather heavy bag of about 16kg). They then proceeded to just talk at me about Mormonism and then asked me what belief I had, I told them I was Athiest as it is easiest to explain when you don't want to engage them (Works with other religious groups) but these proceeded to challenge me on my beliefs or rather the lack of. They heavily implied that I was lacking something which must have driven me to disown God (Their words). Now I could understand this If I had engaged them or challenged them but it was plainly obvious that I was working, it was a hot day and I really wasn't pleased to be talking to them but they just wouldn't drop it.
Now on both occasions they where American (southern sounding) so I don't know if that had something to do with it. Maybe thats socially acceptable over there? Will let you know if I have a run in with a British Mormon.

I haven't voted on the poll, As above I often say Athiest but I don't think that describes what I believe. I Don't believe in the Christian god, I instead believe in the universe as a life form of sorts. Similar to the way some people perceive the Earth to be alive (Gaia) but on a much greater scale. This would make us part of god, but it would make god about as responsible for the world as we are for our own bowel movements. I don't think Agnostic quite covers that really either so I don't know how to vote.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 11:47   #59
Pierre
cf.mega poster
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 13,331
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

I'm atheist,

I was brought up as a Catholic and attended church until the age of 13.

IMO, There is so much wrong with the various churchs and other religions, I won't say any more as that is not the purpose of the thread.

In regards to "religious nutters" as described in few posts.

Our local JW's call on my house, and I'm always happy to engage in conversation. They're polite, very nice people.

I happily accept my copt of the watchtower and awake, and I read them. My wife laughs at me, but I like to get the opposite view.

And every month, it reaffirms why I am an atheist.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 12:13   #60
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Mod
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,023
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
I haven't voted on the poll, As above I often say Athiest but I don't think that describes what I believe. I Don't believe in the Christian god, I instead believe in the universe as a life form of sorts. Similar to the way some people perceive the Earth to be alive (Gaia) but on a much greater scale. This would make us part of god, but it would make god about as responsible for the world as we are for our own bowel movements. I don't think Agnostic quite covers that really either so I don't know how to vote.
Atheism is a lack of belief in a deity, which usually means a conscious being that exists outside of our world. Kinda.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:12.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum