12-11-2011, 21:02
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Following on from http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35328600-post55.html
So how would you identify yourself as far as theological beliefs go?
More to the point why do you feel that way? I'm sure we all have our reasons.
I'll start - per my vote in the poll I am an atheist, and to be more exact a Humanist for the very simple reason that while we don't have all the answers I see no reason to believe that there is any kind of deity. I live my life on the belief that it is the one life I have.
I find all sorts of discrepancies about religion and note that religions come and they go - note the myths of Greece and Rome, at one time those temples were alive with worshippers and now they are deserted. Such is I believe the fate of all the current faiths in time as the human race (hopefully!) grows in stature and grows beyond the need for believing we're immortal or using an imaginary figure as someone to lean on, pay penance to and in turn give credit for our achievements to.
I find that so often with the difficult questions in life like 'What happens when I die?' or 'How can I stop myself from dying?' or 'What happened to my family when they died?' we tend to look for answers and take whatever we happen to like the look of rather than reality - see homeopathy and psychics as two cases in point. I can't do that, I can't simply fill in the gaps that science has with whatever is most convenient, so I'm atheistic.
Stephen Fry puts it better than I possibly could.
Brian Cox, another Humanist along with Stephen Fry, makes a very elegant monologue in Wonders of the Universe.
Next please - no need to pick on other people's views, state your case and why and let other people do comparisons in their own minds.
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 21:18
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poser
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Atheist.
There is no tangible evidence whatsoever for any alternative.
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 21:21
|
#3
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,104
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Atheist and proud of it
i will believe there is a god like person when he does something to prove he exists
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 21:23
|
#4
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,580
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Theist. I'll explain why some other time though. Right now I'm preparing tomorrow morning's sermon.
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 21:27
|
#5
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
I've put Agnostic ,i don't belive in a all powerfull deity but i do believe in the way of life that comes from the belief in one .Like it or not religion is what has given us a moral code ,most of our major laws ,stealing ,murder ,ect and when religions are stripped back to there roots they all pretty much have the same messages whether they are Hindus,muslims, Catholics
|
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 21:29
|
#6
|
|
vox populi vox dei
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,602
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
atheist -i see no viable alternative
those who believe demand no proof they say they have faith ,im never going to be a member of anything that has that attitude towards proof .
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 21:31
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poser
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Theist. I'll explain why some other time though. Right now I'm preparing tomorrow morning's sermon. 
|
Wimp!
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 22:01
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Theist. I'll explain why some other time though. Right now I'm preparing tomorrow morning's sermon. 
|
I'm looking forward to reading it - I promise not to rib you as relentlessly as I did on Facebook a few weeks ago
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 22:05
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Agnostic with Christian (or is that just moral) err morals, I believe there is something there, but my mind is to scientific to think it could be a god or whatever.
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 22:07
|
#10
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
I hope that we will have a civilised discussion in this thread. That no one feels the need to be abusive or the need to ridicule anyone because of their beliefs because it can be an interesting discussion without recourse to such behaviour.
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 22:14
|
#11
|
|
[CENSORED]
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wolverhampton
Age: 48
Posts: 4,218
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
If we're all God's children, what was so special about Jesus?
__________________
Help save the world from loosers
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 22:17
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id
If we're all God's children, what was so special about Jesus?
|
Best to avoid throwing questions like that into the thread, I could come up with a ton of them but no point. People will believe what they will believe and nothing you or I can say will change their mind and more to the point it's not our place to.
|
|
|
12-11-2011, 22:36
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
I believe Ignition has stated the rules as I see them at least for the thread quite clearly, let's keep on topic please folks
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 00:10
|
#14
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,056
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
Theist, with doubts and questions - I don't know what I don't know, but I know I don't know (and this is not me trying to be clever, just trying to be honest).
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 00:15
|
#15
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,238
|
Re: All Encompassing Are You Religious and Why Thread
What does 'Jedi' count as
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:17.
|