new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius
04-10-2011, 21:42
|
#16
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
Yes, unless it was so dry I missed the irony 
|
Think about it, if we do less to find work, benefits can be cut. They're proposing we now do more to find work - which in fairness is something all jobseekers should be striving for - so conversely should be we expecting more in the way of benefits? Probably not but it's always fun asking JC staff just to watch them splutter and stammer out an answer.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
04-10-2011, 21:43
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius
I moved closer to my current job, prior to that my commute was over the 90 minute mark, it's now down to about 70.
Previous job varied but was as often 90 minutes as not, just the way things seem to go 
---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Think about it, if we do less to find work, benefits can be cut. They're proposing we now do more to find work - which in fairness is something all jobseekers should be striving for - so conversely should be we expecting more in the way of benefits? Probably not but it's always fun asking JC staff just to watch them splutter and stammer out an answer.
|
It would indeed be most amusing to see how they'd respond to that.
|
|
|
04-10-2011, 21:47
|
#18
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
|
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
It would indeed be most amusing to see how they'd respond to that. 
|
I'd personally sanction him
|
|
|
04-10-2011, 22:01
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
|
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
I repeat, why would a survey by two economists in an Ivy League university in the USA intentionally misreport the situation in the US?
I find it far easier to disbelieve Labour government research suggesting that our jobseekers spend half as much time again looking for work as the unemployment benefits time limited US and twice as long as France than a couple of economists in New Jersey doing a study covering multiple nations.
|
By using selective unemployed you can skew it to favour whoever paid your fee. So if the governemt of UK sanctioned this then I suspect they was very selective of amount/type of unemployed was part of the survey.
Unless every single unemployed is taken you cant believe any survey.
Therefore I find it very strange low considering I know the time it takes to do certain josearch activities. You could argue your on phone longer than 8mins its still jobsearch if you enquiring about position. Its still jobsearching when you write or full applications you telling me that all done in 8 min average for every single unemployed.
Another is it maybe compulsory in those places to do sort jobsearch clubs for so many hours a month. Thats another way it slews the figures unless we know US, France way dealing with unemployed is the same you cant take this serious guide to failings or workshy unemployed.
Thats why find it strange why when people trawl stats out for others thing its deemed to many stats lie. So I am saying stats lie its manipulated to make UK unemployed bad yes there some but bet its not that great. There will be many do more so the rules should be flexable.
|
|
|
04-10-2011, 22:12
|
#20
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,059
|
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius
Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle
By using selective unemployed you can skew it to favour whoever paid your fee. So if the governemt of UK sanctioned this then I suspect they was very selective of amount/type of unemployed was part of the survey.
Unless every single unemployed is taken you cant believe any survey.
Therefore I find it very strange low considering I know the time it takes to do certain josearch activities. You could argue your on phone longer than 8mins its still jobsearch if you enquiring about position. Its still jobsearching when you write or full applications you telling me that all done in 8 min average for every single unemployed.
Another is it maybe compulsory in those places to do sort jobsearch clubs for so many hours a month. Thats another way it slews the figures unless we know US, France way dealing with unemployed is the same you cant take this serious guide to failings or workshy unemployed.
Thats why find it strange why when people trawl stats out for others thing its deemed to many stats lie. So I am saying stats lie its manipulated to make UK unemployed bad yes there some but bet its not that great. There will be many do more so the rules should be flexable.
|
Unfortunately, facts are not your friends......
This research was written over three years ago, and
Quote:
|
Alan Krueger was the Leon Levy member of the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton when the paper was written. Andreas Mueller gratefully acknowledges financial support from the Handelsbanken‟s Research Foundations
|
If you are going to make partisan accusations, at least try to base them on supportable evidence, rather than just biased supposition. 
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
05-10-2011, 22:09
|
#21
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius
if its taking you 90mins to get to work aside from the tiredness and free time lost it would also suggest substantial travel costs are going to be occured as well so I agree that its an unreasonable requirement to put on the unemploued for min wage work.
Thinking of travel times I have had in all of my jobs, some have certianly been around the hour mark, but in all those occasions I had plenty of free cash and the first one was a 4 day week with 4 days off every week so free time was not so much a premium.
how much are petrol costs eg. for 450 minutes of driving? how much is public transport likely to cost for that?
My first job they relocated the premises, initially I was doing hour each way on my push bike, I was getting very knackered and annoyed, started using taxis then got annoyed with the cost as was 3 hours of my wages each day used on taxi fares, the job became viable again when I got a lift of a work friend arranged.
Other jobs I have had high travel times were much better paid so was less an issue.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:45.
|