iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
29-08-2011, 13:45
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, HA0
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
With lack of Flash support and such a locked down o/s, the Ipad 2 is already ancient technology. Not from a hardware perspective, but on a software level. The heavy price tag is another fact from a long list of companies saying "we can make tablets as well... and a whole lot better"
While Android is far superior, it is worth noting that these so called Flash enabled tablets are not always (at least all the Android devices I have used) are what I like to call True Flash enabled. For example newgrounds.com refuses to work on many if not all Android devices. A site built from the ground up with Flash in mind should in my opinion work on a device (or o/s) which merits itself on being compatible with this technology thus making it stand out from iPad. Just now I have tried newgrounds.com on my HTC Desire using Firefox and it fails.
Bring on the Dell Inspiron Duo. Windows 7, fully Flash enabled (which was my reason for buying one) it really does stand out and is more worthy of the iPad like price tag. Even from personal use of an Android tablet and an iPad, they lack the ability to go to any website and download anything :|
If you like the idea of general browsing, email and the novelty of running "Apps" on a big screen they I would advise Android over iPad anyday. Personally I like the idea of a full Flash enabled device, ability to download files. (something with a bit more punch from my device) then I would choose a Duo or at least a Netbook.
Just my 2 cents
|
I checked this out... looks good apart from the processor which looks a bit weak compared to the iPad 2 etc?
Also, how is the battery life on the Dell? (How many hours?)
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 13:54
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
Thanks a lot for that! Need to think carefully... at Home we have an iPhone 3GS (still brand new) and I have been using Android on my HTC Hero.
USB etc would be nice, but I have another laptop and computer and the iPad 2/Tablet would primarily be used for browsing and Skype (by mum). iPad 2 @ £479 is a bit steep, but that is the model I am currently thinking of getting... decisions decisions.......
|
Like I said, try and have a play with one if you can, along with the Tab etc.
I would have also said to consider whether you want 3G or not, but you seem to have already decided against it? [Which, IMO, is probably the best decision - on the rare occasions I don't have WiFi I can simply tether my iPad to my phone... you should be able to do the same, AFAIK. I don't think 3G is worth the extra £100]
Do you definitely need 32GB, or do you think you'd get away with 16GB?
---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
I checked this out... looks good apart from the processor which looks a bit weak compared to the iPad 2 etc?
Also, how is the battery life on the Dell? (How many hours?)
|
https://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-duo/pd
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Dell
Up to 3 hours and 57 minutes6 of battery life
|
That's less than half the battery life of the iPad 2.
It's also bigger and heavier.
iPad 2:
Quote:
Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
Depth: 0.34 inch (8.8 mm)
Weight: 1.33 pounds (601 g)
|
Inspiron Duo:
Quote:
Width: 11.22" (285.0mm)
Depth: 7.66" (194.5mm)
Height: 1.03" (26.2mm) front – 1.13" (28.7mm) back
Starting weight of 3.39 lbs (1.54Kg)8
|
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 13:59
|
#18
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,034
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
An inch thick?
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:09
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
I'm just quoting the Dell site.
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:22
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, HA0
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
I'm just quoting the Dell site.
|
Hmm, battery life rules out Dell.
The tablet is really for my mum only... she won't use it for much apart from Browsing and Skype. I only need Wifi (no need for 3G) and I think I rather have the 32GB memory incase I have a lot of photos and music on it eventually.
It seems the Galaxy Tab is probably my only real option and even for that I have been reading about some problem with the screen (oil slick problem).
Seems it has to be iPad 2 then? I need to be sure what I want as I get 10% off at Comet so will order the Comet vouchers (£480 vouchers for £432) and will reserve through topcashback (getting another £12) so I will potentially be paying £420, otherwise it is £432 max!
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:30
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Thats because its not just a tablet, its a laptop too. Well a netbook/tablet really. Its not far off the same thickness an Ipad or Tab when stacked on top of their keyboards (If you buy one for them).
The big problem with it is it really cant decide what it wants to be and as such its pretty weak on both counts. As has been said above, too small a battery to make it a good tab etc.
---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
I checked this out... looks good apart from the processor which looks a bit weak compared to the iPad 2 etc?
Also, how is the battery life on the Dell? (How many hours?)
|
Actually the CPU is very similar speed to Ipad, Tab etc. Don't let the numbers fool you, as its a netbook grade CPU which are generally faster per MHz than a micro CPU designed for ultra mobile devices.
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:32
|
#22
|
|
Guest
Location: Coventry / Midlands
Services: Superhub 2 60mb
Posts: n/a
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
The Duo is a a remarkable piece of kit and I wont deny I am an ealy adopter. Yes the battery is not on par with an iPad 2 and it is slightly heavier but the Duo does what no other tablet does on the market. Full Flash support, Full Silverlight support, I can even hook this upto my printer via USB and print, scan (all features we are all familiar with. I dont think this is possible with iPad 2 but it defintley wasnt with my Android tablet. There is no reason why these simple features were neglected when in the design process. That being said, as you have already pointed out - tablets at the moment are used for nothing more then browsing and email. Very simple devices in my opinion and has nothing extra then my Desire.
You can get a very nice netbook for the price of an iPad 2 so yes, the features an iPad gives, the price really is not worth the cost. Itunes is just horrid and the O/S is far to much locked down. Luckily some if not all the people who have asked me in recent months have took my advice and dodged a bullet by not opting for the iPad
|
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:36
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, HA0
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
The Duo is a a remarkable piece of kit and I wont deny I am an ealy adopter. Yes the battery is not on par with an iPad 2 and it is slightly heavier but the Duo does what no other tablet does on the market. Full Flash support, Full Silverlight support, I can even hook this upto my printer via USB and print, scan (all features we are all familiar with. I dont think this is possible with iPad 2 but it defintley wasnt with my Android tablet. There is no reason why these simple features were neglected when in the design process. That being said, as you have already pointed out - tablets at the moment are used for nothing more then browsing and email. Very simple devices in my opinion and has nothing extra then my Desire.
You can get a very nice netbook for the price of an iPad 2 so yes, the features an iPad gives, the price really is not worth the cost. Itunes is just horrid and the O/S is far to much locked down. Luckily some if not all the people who have asked me in recent months have took my advice and dodged a bullet by not opting for the iPad
|
So what would you suggest I buy?
The point is, I have a laptop and computer at home already, so I don't need to attach USB etc. But ofcourse, I don't want to be throwing money away at the same time! So confused
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:43
|
#24
|
|
Guest
Location: Coventry / Midlands
Services: Superhub 2 60mb
Posts: n/a
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
So what would you suggest I buy?
The point is, I have a laptop and computer at home already, so I don't need to attach USB etc. But ofcourse, I don't want to be throwing money away at the same time! So confused 
|
If its for your Mum to browse, I would personally go with an Android tablet. If your not familiar with iTunes, it can be a real pain to get to grips with and can be very intrusive. With an Android tablet your going to be able to hook it up directly with your computer, drag and drop your pictures or music to your hearts content without the need of installing rubbish like iTunes.
|
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:47
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, HA0
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
If its for your Mum to browse, I would personally go with an Android tablet. If your not familiar with iTunes, it can be a real pain to get to grips with and can be very intrusive. With an Android tablet your going to be able to hook it up directly with your computer, drag and drop your pictures or music to your hearts content without the need of installing rubbish like iTunes.
|
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I was gifted an iPod for my bday a few years ago and my parents were gifted an iPhone in June 2011, so iTunes is already on the system  ...
I think in a little while I will take my parents to Currys and show them the iPad and other tablets, and let them decide  ... will let them know about the pro's and cons from this thread after so that they can make an informed decision
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:52
|
#26
|
|
Guest
Location: Coventry / Midlands
Services: Superhub 2 60mb
Posts: n/a
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Not a bad idea to be honest. If you havent already, check out some reviews on you tube as well. You have knowlegde on iTunes which will help, but I do think you will get an Android tablet for a better price.
let us know how you get on and which was one decided
|
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 14:59
|
#27
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,034
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Personally, for ease of use (especially if your parents are not particularly IT-literate), the iPad whups most of the Android Tablets (I have an iPad2 and a Xoom, and my wife/daughter/mum-in-law find the iPad2 much easier to use).
I have a fair background in IT (I am an IT Director  ), and whilst I like playing with the Xoom, I prefer using the iPad2.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 15:38
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
The Duo is a a remarkable piece of kit and I wont deny I am an ealy adopter. Yes the battery is not on par with an iPad 2 and it is slightly heavier but the Duo does what no other tablet does on the market. Full Flash support, Full Silverlight support, I can even hook this upto my printer via USB and print, scan (all features we are all familiar with. I dont think this is possible with iPad 2 but it defintley wasnt with my Android tablet. There is no reason why these simple features were neglected when in the design process. That being said, as you have already pointed out - tablets at the moment are used for nothing more then browsing and email. Very simple devices in my opinion and has nothing extra then my Desire.
You can get a very nice netbook for the price of an iPad 2 so yes, the features an iPad gives, the price really is not worth the cost. Itunes is just horrid and the O/S is far to much locked down. Luckily some if not all the people who have asked me in recent months have took my advice and dodged a bullet by not opting for the iPad
|
Size, weight, and battery life are IMO very important factors when it comes to a proper tablet. The Duo loses on all three. Bigger than the iPad 2, two and a half times the weight of the iPad 2, and an awful battery life of less than half that of the iPad 2.
Flash and Silverlight - The majority of tablet consumers obviously don't give a monkey's. They're not needed unless you like Flash games, or regularly visit websites which - for some god-awful reason - are built in Flash.
Scanning - I have a network printer/scanner, so if for some strange reason I want to scan something and have it on my iPad, then the printer can email it to me. I doubt most tablet users would be too bothered about scanning, though. But yes, you can't just plug the iPad into a scanner though.
Printing - My network printer supports AirPrint, so I can wirelessly print to it from my iPad. No need for a cable, no need for drivers. If I didn't have an AirPrint capable printer, though, I'd have to use one of the various Apps which enable printing to other network printers. But again, yes, you can't just plug the iPad into a printer though.
Tablets are not aimed at the same market as netbooks and laptops. They are not productivity devices (although that doesn't stop some people from using them as such - CF's own Chris uses his iPad to help run his business, plus plenty of productivity apps are available). They are primarily aimed at content consumption, not creation.
Web + Email + Games + Videos + Apps.
Netbooks may be good for web, email, and videos, but I doubt they're any good for games. Too underpowered, surely? Also not quite as portable as an iPad or other tablet, due to the weight at least, plus I doubt they have as good a battery life (my wife's Samsung netbook only lasts around half the time my iPad 2 does).
Locked down OS - so what? Again, most people simply do not care. For what it's aimed at, it does not matter and it does the job perfectly. I think most people just want to pick up and play, they don't care about tinkering. If someone wants more customisability, is more of a "power user" then yes they can buy an Android tablet instead. Most don't, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
If its for your Mum to browse, I would personally go with an Android tablet. If your not familiar with iTunes, it can be a real pain to get to grips with and can be very intrusive. With an Android tablet your going to be able to hook it up directly with your computer, drag and drop your pictures or music to your hearts content without the need of installing rubbish like iTunes.
|
iOS is meant to be far easier and simpler to use than Android, and definitely the sort of thing "mums can use". I doubt "most mums" would care about iOS being locked down and less customisable than Android. If anything, that would be a plus point...It makes things simpler...
I do think that iTunes is crap, but it's not that bad. It only needs to be used when syncing. All apps etc. can be downloaded via the iPad itself. Also, once iOS 5 & iCloud launch in the "Fall", you'll be able to perform the initial activation without even using a computer, and will able to keep the iPad synced and up to date wirelessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
I think in a little while I will take my parents to Currys and show them the iPad and other tablets, and let them decide  ... will let them know about the pro's and cons from this thread after so that they can make an informed decision 
|
Exactly - have a play with them all, and then decide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
Not a bad idea to be honest. If you havent already, check out some reviews on you tube as well. You have knowlegde on iTunes which will help, but I do think you will get an Android tablet for a better price.
let us know how you get on and which was one decided 
|
Better price - Unlikely, unless buying a budget tablet, or a reduced Xoom. The top-end tablets, the ones which are trying to compete directly with the iPad, cost the same price...
EDIT: (which is one reason why they'll fail)
---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------
dcclanuk - Have a read of this thread too:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/19...e-pc-over.html
Some comments in there about the iPad and other tablets.
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 16:38
|
#29
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
CF's own Chris uses his iPad to help run his business
|
Indeed I do. But I am not CF's bitch.
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 19:25
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, HA0
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
Not a bad idea to be honest. If you havent already, check out some reviews on you tube as well. You have knowlegde on iTunes which will help, but I do think you will get an Android tablet for a better price.
let us know how you get on and which was one decided 
|
Thanks for all your replies! I visited the links posted etc.
And the winner is............... iPad 2
We went to Currys, mum had a play on a few, but as the iPad 2 is much easier to use and intuitive (as explained by the sales person), my mum wanted an iPad 2 only after that lol.
The most interesting thing is that the sales person had a Samsung Galaxy Tab (two of them) and he said that both were broken. He also said that it seems the Galaxy Tab seems to have been rushed as the back of the Galaxy Tab is cheap plastic and both display models they have been sent do not work (which considering they are meant to entice customers to buy it, it doesn't quite do the job!)
But thanks a lot for all your comments
Now going to buy a Smart Cover from Amazon for about £12 =)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPad-P.../dp/B004U4O31O
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:51.
|