28-08-2011, 15:17
|
#61
|
|
Guest
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
A tablet existed before the iPad? Blasphemy!
How many tablets from this "generation" run Windows? IIRC, MS wouldn't allow the use of WP7 on tablets, and it won't be until Windows 8 that Windows will support ARM (which powers the vast majority of tablets AFAIK). I doubt that there are very many Windows 7 tablets around at the moment.
|
Simple google finds
MSI windpad
Acer aspire iconica
Zoostorm 3310
Panasonic toughbook
Gigabyte S1080
Elite group Elite pad
think all these run windows 7 http://www.engadget.com/tag/windows%207%20tablets/
How many Tablets run IOS?? oh its 2
|
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 15:29
|
#62
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit
How many Tablets run IOS??
|
About 30 million.
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 15:40
|
#63
|
|
Guest
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
fair point
|
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 15:41
|
#64
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Re. "[tablets] are limited to FB style games so come on lets get real"
Real Racing 2 HD on an iPad 2
Real Racing 2 HD on an iPad 2, connected via HDMI to an HDTV
Infinity Blade on an iPad 2
Dead Space HD on an iPad 2
Rage HD on the iPad 2
These all also work on the iPhone (except for Real Racing, which has a separate iPhone-specific version rather than act as a "universal app").
Other tablets/phones... I'm not an Android user, so I don't know what the games are like for that OS, however the high-end Android tablets (e.g. Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1) and phones (e.g. Galaxy S II) have very good tech specs* so should be able to perform similarly.
* For those who like specs: The Xoom and the Tab 10.1 use the Tegra 2 SoC, which has the same ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core CPU as the iPad 2's A5 SoC. Although the Tegra 2's GeForce ULP GPU is not as powerful as the A5's PowerVR SFX543MP2 dual-core GPU, the Xoom and the Tab 10.1 do at least have 1GB of RAM instead of 512MB like the iPad 2. The Galaxy S II uses Samsung's Exynos 4210 SoC, which has an ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core CPU and an ARM Mali-400 MP GPU. All these devices easily outperform the PSP, and I believe also the 3DS. The next Sony handheld, the PlayStation Vita, is going to use quad-core versions of the ARM Cortex-A9 CPU and PowerVRSGX543 GPU... but will raw power be enough for Sony to succeed? The mobile/handheld gaming market is already changing...
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 15:52
|
#65
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,040
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
You have got to be kidding ... "tablet" was verging on mis-selling IMO. That generation of machines would have been better described as "flagstone". Awful, unweildy things, running an OS that was most definitely *not* designed from the ground up to support a Tablet.
|
Oh, I totally agree - it had the response time of a doped-up sloth; but it was a tablet.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 15:59
|
#66
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit
|
I think Chris answered that best
As for those devices... I've never heard of them, and I doubt that many other people have. From a look at that link, they don't sound so great either... Price, weight, ease of use, battery life... None seem to hit the spot with all of those.
For the majority, "tablet" still equals "iPad". Apple owns the tablet market. Android is the only real competitor (webOS is already dead, & the BB Playbook hasn't exactly had very good reviews or sales) but the quality-end of the Android line-up (e.g. Tab 10.1) are too expensive... and lack the name, the brand, the image. Android fanboys, Apple haters, people who really care about Flash (why?), and those who like to tinker or want more customisability or more interface options...they'll buy Android tablets. The rest? iPads...
Windows 7 tablets? Not even worth considering, IMO, from the looks of the above. And by the time MS releases an ARM-compatible version of Windows 8 for running on tablets it will have once again missed the boat.
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 16:08
|
#67
|
|
Guest
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
I agree totally I was simply pointing out that they do exist. As for missed the boat maybe Intel Amd and Microsoft have all felt the pinch with Apples dominance in the tablet market. They do still have time though its a growth market so who knows.
Also who knows what directions Apple will go in now Jobs has gone might knock the wind out of its sales somewhat ( but I doubt it)
|
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 16:21
|
#68
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Much as I love the iPad I do want to see as rich a market as possible for tablets. It's much better for innovation. The dominance Microsoft achieved with its desktop OSes has been very much to the detriment of home and office computing IMO.
I don't want Apple to become the big bad Microsoft of the 21st century, reviled for giving customers whatever is convenient for Apple to give them rather than continuing to innovate.
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 17:06
|
#69
|
|
Guest
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Apple are already there just look at their petty Patent cases at present
|
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 17:26
|
#70
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
That's a sad issue but really has little to do with Apple's dominance of the tablet market. Patent wars are an unfortunate fact of the industry at the moment and all the big players are at it. Google bought Motorola for its patents, not its products.
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 17:50
|
#71
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
I disagree with Apple's current patent lawsuits, and think it's rather stupid of Apple to go after Samsung so much, but as Chris said they are all at it...
http://blog.thomsonreuters.com/index...ic-of-the-day/
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 18:02
|
#72
|
|
nashville
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rutherglen. Glasgow
Services: Virgin Media
Posts: 5,368
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
I prefer my PC. I can,t get used to working without a mouse. So I have to plug the mouse into the laptop. I will stay with my PC
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 18:40
|
#73
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78
Lol the fan boys are out in full on here. I can't believe how you can compare a tablet to a console/handheld or pc makes me laugh they are soooooo far behind. maybe and thats a maybe they just might be the "in thing in a good few years" but at the moment they are limited to FB style games so come on lets get real.
The PS3 and Xbox 360 are stuck in 2006 lets face it easy or not for developers and market share they are stuck in a time warp....I would rather stick with my pc for office ability and gaming.....I would rather go with a fad for now "touch screen" has been out before its the latest "teen thing" pc wont go anywhere. Consumers are feeding off the market because its a new thing
A lot of people are upgrading there own pc's or know someone who can do it for them rather than take it to the likes of pc world who would charge you something daft liek £45 to install memory. I mean I even showed someone how to do it at work and saved them a fortune getting someone like PC world to install memory for them and forcing them to buy it from there shop I saved them like £80
I console is great, easy for developers and better for the consumer because they can pay to play and no stupid pc setup to have to fiddle with to get a game to work....on a gaming front the pc is the KING because even with a graphics card I use Geforce 260 GTX (2008) model I got off ebay for £60 with a AMD 3.4ghz quad core cpu runs 99% of games on a 22" monitor at full screen not come across anything yet that slows it down.
So the cost works out at £190 for me personally total cost of my pc is around £1500 but this is over time 2 years I spent £130 on a tower unit most wouldn't but I reckon you could build something similar to me for around £300 and I'm still well above the specs of a ps3 or xbox.
PS3 lags because newer games are too much for the machine this is were the pc is ahead online gaming its meant for these kinds of machines
|
In your apparent drive to attack Consoles and Tablets, you've actually hit on the problem that the full blown PC will have in future.
Simply put, the average person can do most (if not all) of what they want to do on a PC on tablets and/or consoles. And it'll probably cost them less ultimately to do it.
Another problem that the PC has is Piracy. Whether Piracy does cause lost sales on the PC or not, that is apparently the perception that a lot of software publishers and developers have. As such, they are increasingly moving development to the consoles, and to some extent, tablets.
Now, I am not a console, PC or tablet fanboy. I possess a good PC (which when I have some money, I am looking to upgrade), a MacBook, an Xbox 360 and an iPhone. All of which are heavily used.
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 18:51
|
#74
|
|
Guest
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
There is the rumour that Windows 8 will support playing 360 games which could make a difference
|
|
|
|
28-08-2011, 20:01
|
#75
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: The day of the PC over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit
There is the rumour that Windows 8 will support playing 360 games which could make a difference
|
Highly unlikely In my opinion though I would love it to be true. It could definitely be a factor for upgrading for me when the OS eventually ships. And I find windows 7 perfect for my needs so something that could push me to upgrade is a big deal. Not for the games themselves but for the cross-platform multiplay that it will hopefully open up. Something that was promised when the 360 was first revealed at E3 IIRC.
It always frustrated me massively that though my cousin and myself both owned supreme commander we couldn't multiplay because I owned the PC version and he owned the 360 version.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:12.
|