23-08-2011, 14:03
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Age: 51
Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Posts: 2,462
|
APU
Hi
I am thinking of building an APU system to replace my current quad core, but I'm not exactly sure how the APU works.
Does it mean you dont need a Graphics card? or does it mean the APU works along side the graphics card. I'm assuming its the latter but i wanted to make sure first.
Also, has anyone had any experience with APU systems? Are they any good? Are they smooth?
TY in advance.
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 14:08
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poser
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
|
Re: APU
From reading this they replace the GPU and are mainly for use in Notebooks/Netbooks.
So it seems rather unlikely they will outperform a quad core processor coupled with a dedicated GPU?
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 14:54
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Age: 51
Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Posts: 2,462
|
Re: APU
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
From reading this they replace the GPU and are mainly for use in Notebooks/Netbooks.
So it seems rather unlikely they will outperform a quad core processor coupled with a dedicated GPU?
|
From what ive read and seen on youtube, they are supposed to be for gaming, so I doubt they are solely for notebooks, they are not exactly gaming systems??
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 18:58
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: warrington
Age: 40
Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
Posts: 1,634
|
Re: APU
They can play games but don't expect decent performance at high resolution's or high detail.
I think although I might be wrong but I think they are mainly aimed at low end games, and are not supposed to replace the gaming pc's.
The graphic's chip in them are supposed to help also with video editing etc making it take less time etc.
__________________
 7900X3D, 64Gb Corsair 6000Mhz, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 4080 Super, Samsung 980 Pro 2Tb NVME
Unraid Server, 130TB Supermicro CSE-846, AMD Epyc 7551P 32 Core, 64Gb ECC DDR4, nVidia RTX A2000
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 20:12
|
#5
|
|
Guest
|
Re: APU
You'd be better off waiting until the start of next year and see what Intel will release. I doubt anything will be much better than what you have at the moment until then.
|
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 23:29
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: APU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf
Hi
I am thinking of building an APU system to replace my current quad core, but I'm not exactly sure how the APU works.
Does it mean you dont need a Graphics card? or does it mean the APU works along side the graphics card. I'm assuming its the latter but i wanted to make sure first.
Also, has anyone had any experience with APU systems? Are they any good? Are they smooth?
TY in advance.
|
If you don't use the features of a dedicated graphics card, an APU removes the need for one, yes.
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 08:20
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
|
Re: APU
I recall reading somewhere, but as it is a recollection I could be wrong, that AMD's APU (not the intel one) can in some circumstances enhance the performance of certain dedicated AMD GPUs using a form of crossfire.
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 10:38
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 640
|
Re: APU
Oh Hello! Did you ask for me?
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 11:28
|
#9
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,034
|
Re: APU
Thank you, come again.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 13:04
|
#10
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales UK
Age: 44
Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Posts: 3,480
|
Re: APU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I recall reading somewhere, but as it is a recollection I could be wrong, that AMD's APU (not the intel one) can in some circumstances enhance the performance of certain dedicated AMD GPUs using a form of crossfire.
|
it can enhance dedicated GPUs by upto 30%
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 23:59
|
#11
|
|
Guest
|
Re: APU
The Llano cpu coupled with a F1 motherboard with a discrete card as well should make for a nice machine although personally you should wait for Bulldozer ( End Septmber hopefully)
|
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18.
|