Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hard disk is not detected

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hard disk is not detected
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 00:19   #1
jerryl
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 78
jerryl is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard disk is not detected

Hi, I have recently built my new pc and installed windows xp.
However to install windows xp you have to have a floppy drive right? However my pc uses SATA HDD and CD-ROM. So I somehow bypass'd it by changing my SATA configuration to "disabled".
Then I set the BIOS to boot up from CD-ROM to install windows.
Now whenever I boot up my pc it says breifly "Hard disk not detected" and resumes like nothing has happened!
My Computer is fine and I can run anything and there are no problems. I even installed windows 7 and same thing with the "Hard disk not detected".
I changed the SATA configuration back to normal, which is "ACHI" mode and I've changed the BIOS to boot up from HDD.
Everything seems to run smoothly. Is there anything I need to be cautious about? Or shall I just leave it?

thanks!

Jerry
jerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2011, 10:20   #2
tizmeinnit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hard disk is not detected

there is probably more than one sata controller on your board and its not finding a disk on ther other one
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:55   #3
Welshchris
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales UK
Age: 44
Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Posts: 3,480
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one
Re: Hard disk is not detected

Well if you have a SATA hard disk and you have disabled the sata configuration then thats proberbly the problem.

JUst leave it set at ACHI u should be ok.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07   #4
jerryl
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 78
jerryl is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Hard disk is not detected

I have changed my SATA configuration to ACHI and it's still the same.

Yeah I have 4 SATA plug-ins on my motherboard. Each SATA plugin has two ports. The first SATA plug-in is for MARVELL 6.0gb/s and the second is for INTEL 6.0gb/s.
The third and second is INTEL 3.0gb/s.
I plugged my HDD into the INTEL 6.0gb/s (since it uses SATA6.0gb/s).
I plugged my CD-ROM into the third INTEL 3.0gb/s.
Should I try the other SATA plugs?
Or shall I just leave it as it seems my pc is running smoothly.
jerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:37   #5
tizmeinnit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Hard disk is not detected

just leave it alone. If you enable AHCI and you have not installed windows using that method then your system will not boot unless you enable AHCI in the registry.

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

  Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum