28-07-2011, 12:55
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
I have the same problem 30MB with modem (was on 50MB)
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
28-07-2011, 18:28
|
#17
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Hurrah for VM having the highest packet loss of any major ISP.
|
|
|
29-07-2011, 11:25
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 317
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Ive stopped even trying to watch streaming media with Virgin in "peak hours"
Everytime i want to use my connection i firstly check packetloss then take it from there... its terrible.
|
|
|
29-07-2011, 11:28
|
#19
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efour
Ive stopped even trying to watch streaming media with Virgin in "peak hours"
Everytime i want to use my connection i firstly check packetloss then take it from there... its terrible.
|
I had Tivo installed and have tried the youtube app, That does not stream well at all. It stops and starts just like it does on my PC
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
29-07-2011, 15:39
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Swindon
Age: 54
Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
Posts: 810
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Had the same problem with Youtube when I was with VM on my 10Mb connection, even switching to 240p wouldn't help some time with buffering or even non-starting videos.
Since I've been with Talk Talk at the beginning of May, Youtube has been fine, can now watch HD videos, they never played more than a few seconds before constant buffering on VM.
|
|
|
31-07-2011, 11:50
|
#21
|
|
©Beam Software
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Teesside
Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Posts: 1,411
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Youtube has ALWAYS been bad at peak, since I've experienced the same problems on othe ISP's I don't think VM can do a great deal about it unless it's down to which providers are used to route to the US. If you use an ipad as I do it gets even worse because the built in app automatically selects the highest quality stream.
The only solution I've found is to use a downloader, YourTube on IOS or an addon for Firefox.
__________________
"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises." - Ken Clarke.
|
|
|
31-07-2011, 15:26
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2004
Services: VM 50Mb
Posts: 1,665
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Interesting that my mother's freebie Sky ADSL broadband can stream high def from youtube, but not my £45 a month 100mb Virgin cable broadband, lol :P
|
|
|
31-07-2011, 15:30
|
#23
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Bad peering FTL.
That said unless you're comparing the same video from the same CDN server at the same time, it's hard to rule out the hundred other factors that might be involved.
I've had issues with Youtube in the evenings on a gigabit JANET connection, it really doesn't say much.
|
|
|
01-08-2011, 20:12
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 556
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
I have the same issue, Vodafone 3G works fine but Virgin doesn't in the evenings. Talk about a joke.
|
|
|
01-08-2011, 20:19
|
#25
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 352
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
I don't know if this is acceptable to a lot of you with these issues but..
I had the same issues, I upgraded to 100Mb ,still had issues, had a VMNG300 sent out still the same issues.
My solution....I had a ADSL2+ Line installed and use it for online gaming,VoIP etc. I'm sure VM must be working to sort these problems out. But unfortunately as they won't let me out the contract I have to pay for a VM line and a ADSL line.
|
|
|
02-08-2011, 19:11
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 556
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable
My solution....I had a ADSL2+ Line installed and use it for online gaming,VoIP etc. I'm sure VM must be working to sort these problems out. But unfortunately as they won't let me out the contract I have to pay for a VM line and a ADSL line.
|
Just cancel your direct debit until they fix it. I did that when T-Mobile stopped covering my house and I had constant no-signal problems. They had several opportunities to fix it but didn't, so in the end I stopped paying since they were no longer supplying the service. They sent a couple of nasty letters, I sent a couple back clearly stating that I would be happy to resume payment once the problem was resolved, and after a while they gave up and went silent.
|
|
|
06-08-2011, 09:25
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maidstone
Services: VIP;
BB XL;
TiVo 1TB;
V+HD
Posts: 674
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Yup, I get the same issues. I am not a big downloader, I just use my connection for internet and gaming. The only reason I have 50mb is so I when I do want something downloaded I do not have to wait ages! However Virgins youtube connection is nothing short of shocking.
|
|
|
06-08-2011, 10:24
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North West London
Age: 37
Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Posts: 2,962
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Sky connection able to stream YouTube 1080p videos, day or night perfectly but not VM 30Mb service, what a joke.
|
|
|
14-08-2011, 00:15
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North West London
Age: 37
Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Posts: 2,962
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
VM has posted a thread regarding the issues with YouTube and other streaming sites. It would be nice if people experiencing issues also reply to the thread with the information requested so the issue can be fixed as soon as possible.
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ue/td-p/655227
|
|
|
02-09-2011, 20:53
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2004
Services: VM 50Mb
Posts: 1,665
|
Re: Youtube an absolute joke
Since switching to Sky's unlimited package, I've had no problems at all with Youtube, at any time of the day.
I still have a live Virgin line till the 8th of September and as a test, I switched back to it, cleared my browsers cache and low and behold, the same stuttering/buffering video problems came back, mostly in the evenings again.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:36.
|