Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mac OS X Lion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mac OS X Lion
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2011, 18:12   #61
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,583
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Mac OS X Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver View Post

I have "Mail" "Calendar" "Safari" and "Contacts" all running permanently in full screen, swiping between them is seamless, so easy

I suppose you have to understand a Mac to fully appreciate this new upgrade it is a major one, I work all day on Documents of various kinds
I have been a home Mac user for about 10 or 11 years now, and using one for work for 3 or 4 years. That's more than enough time to understand that Apple's upgrades are sometimes about forced obsolescence rather than new features. My iMac - barely 6 years old and running like greased lightning on Snow Leopard - can't run Lion because its processor is one generation too old.

That appears to be an arbitrary decision on Apple's part, as a number of Lion beta testers managed to hack Lion into working perfectly well on Core Duo hardware, simply by removing a single file whose purpose was to do nothing more than check what processor was on board.

Lion may turn out to be more features for less money than earlier announcements suggested, but for me, it's going to cost a smeg-load more than £20.99. As I, like you, swap constantly between Mail and Calendar on the Mac and an iPad, via the soon-to-be-defunct MobileMe, and because I need to run Lion on the Mac after next June if I want to maintain both that functionality and my me.com email addresses, via it's successor, iCloud, I am going to have to invest in new hardware.

I wouldn't bother, but as we took the decision to build the bookings system for our B&B around the Mac's calendar and have invested in advertising with a me.com emai address, we have little choice.

At the moment, I find the mere mention of Lion rather irritating.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-07-2011, 21:48   #62
TJS
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
Posts: 485
TJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really niceTJS is just really nice
Re: Mac OS X Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have been a home Mac user for about 10 or 11 years now, and using one for work for 3 or 4 years. That's more than enough time to understand that Apple's upgrades are sometimes about forced obsolescence rather than new features. My iMac - barely 6 years old and running like greased lightning on Snow Leopard - can't run Lion because its processor is one generation too old.

That appears to be an arbitrary decision on Apple's part, as a number of Lion beta testers managed to hack Lion into working perfectly well on Core Duo hardware, simply by removing a single file whose purpose was to do nothing more than check what processor was on board.

Lion may turn out to be more features for less money than earlier announcements suggested, but for me, it's going to cost a smeg-load more than £20.99. As I, like you, swap constantly between Mail and Calendar on the Mac and an iPad, via the soon-to-be-defunct MobileMe, and because I need to run Lion on the Mac after next June if I want to maintain both that functionality and my me.com email addresses, via it's successor, iCloud, I am going to have to invest in new hardware.

I wouldn't bother, but as we took the decision to build the bookings system for our B&B around the Mac's calendar and have invested in advertising with a me.com emai address, we have little choice.

At the moment, I find the mere mention of Lion rather irritating.
I think the reason it doesn't work on your iMac is not just because they have decided to rule it out to force people to upgrade, But because the kernel is now defaulted to 64-bit

TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 21:57   #63
kenoliver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mac OS X Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have been a home Mac user for about 10 or 11 years now, and using one for work for 3 or 4 years. That's more than enough time to understand that Apple's upgrades are sometimes about forced obsolescence rather than new features. My iMac - barely 6 years old and running like greased lightning on Snow Leopard - can't run Lion because its processor is one generation too old.

That appears to be an arbitrary decision on Apple's part, as a number of Lion beta testers managed to hack Lion into working perfectly well on Core Duo hardware, simply by removing a single file whose purpose was to do nothing more than check what processor was on board.

Lion may turn out to be more features for less money than earlier announcements suggested, but for me, it's going to cost a smeg-load more than £20.99. As I, like you, swap constantly between Mail and Calendar on the Mac and an iPad, via the soon-to-be-defunct MobileMe, and because I need to run Lion on the Mac after next June if I want to maintain both that functionality and my me.com email addresses, via it's successor, iCloud, I am going to have to invest in new hardware.

I wouldn't bother, but as we took the decision to build the bookings system for our B&B around the Mac's calendar and have invested in advertising with a me.com emai address, we have little choice.

At the moment, I find the mere mention of Lion rather irritating.

I would have thought you would be better of not upgrading to Lion with your current hardware configuration

I too have a MobileMe account and a .me email address, I understand all the functionality of Mail, Calendar, and Contacts, will transfer over to iCloud when its launched

I didn't think you would need to upgrade to Lion to achieve this upgrade from Mobleme to iCloud

Can't you just stay with Snow Leopard? until and if you decide to replace your Hardware?
  Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 23:08   #64
pythagoras
cf.addict
 
pythagoras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age
Re: Mac OS X Lion

Now the display sleeps correctly I didn't do a thing Very strange.

Regards

John.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 07:09   #65
kenoliver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mac OS X Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
Now the display sleeps correctly I didn't do a thing Very strange.

Regards

John.
I fixed it while you were down the Pub John
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 08:24   #66
Lew
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Age: 54
Services: VIP50, TiVo
Posts: 2,869
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Re: Mac OS X Lion

I was surprised at how quickly I got used to the iOS-style scroll behaviour. So quickly in fact that I'm having trouble at work on my Windows 7 machine.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 08:34   #67
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,583
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Mac OS X Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver View Post
I didn't think you would need to upgrade to Lion to achieve this upgrade from Mobleme to iCloud

Can't you just stay with Snow Leopard? until and if you decide to replace your Hardware?
Apple's published information about iCloud that says you need Lion. Which is a totally arbitrary decision on their part, so far as I'm concerned, unless someone can prove otherwise.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 08:44   #68
kenoliver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mac OS X Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
I was surprised at how quickly I got used to the iOS-style scroll behaviour. So quickly in fact that I'm having trouble at work on my Windows 7 machine.
I Know same for me

It took a while to get used to scrolling the natural way after years of doing it the opposite way,

Seems daft now why would you want to scroll up when in fact you wanted to move the page down

Now you just push the your fingers in the direction you want the page to go

---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Apple's published information about iCloud that says you need Lion. Which is a totally arbitrary decision on their part, so far as I'm concerned, unless someone can prove otherwise.
I didn't realise that Chris

And I can see your point as that just makes no sense at all, as by June 2012 your MM account will disappear, and I can see the problems that will cause for your buisiness

Think I can understand your frustration now
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 12:12   #69
pythagoras
cf.addict
 
pythagoras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age
Re: Mac OS X Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver View Post
I fixed it while you were down the Pub John
Thanks Ken
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum