21-07-2011, 09:01
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Which graphic card?
Hi,
I am thinking about upgrading my graphic card.
GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe
XFX ATI Radeon 6870 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe
What graphic card should I get?
I currently got a Saphire ATI 4870 1024MB PCIe.
My screen res is 1920x1080
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
21-07-2011, 09:12
|
#2
|
|
common as muck
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dirty Old Town
Posts: 3,564
|
Re: Which graphic card?
I've had the GTX 480 since it first came out. But before I decided on that, I was thinking of getting 2 of the 460's, of which I read some very good reviews.
This might help? http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ing-study.html
__________________
|
|
|
21-07-2011, 10:00
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Re: Which graphic card?
I am upgrading my CPU (i5 2500k), motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 INTEL Z68) and ram (G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB 1333Mhz DDR3) and have been told my current graphic card (ATI saphine 4870HD 1GB) will be a bottleneck, in preformace.
I am hoping to take gaming back up on the PC, (Call of Duty Black Ops onwards, F1 2011 (when it comes out) and some other), as well as general tasks. I am also hoping to future proof my PC for the next few years.
System will be running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, at a res of 1920x1080
But only have about £130 (maybe able to push to £150) to spend, on a graphic card.
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
21-07-2011, 10:11
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: warrington
Age: 40
Posts: 1,641
|
Re: Which graphic card?
I would have to say the ATI/AMD would be your best bet unless you can get a extra £50 - £60 together and get a GTX 560ti.
It is a tough choice to make but if you can wait and save some extra money up the 4870 will be fine for now, to put you on until you get enough for a better card.
Although it may not be able to play some of the latest games at that resolution with high detail setting's, it will play them at about 1680 x 1050 I think it is with decent detail setting's to put you on.
If you cannot wait or cannot save the extra cash then the 6870 is the card to get.
__________________
 7900X3D, 64Gb Corsair 6000Mhz, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 4080 Super, Samsung 980 Pro 2Tb NVME
Unraid Server, 130TB Supermicro CSE-846, AMD Epyc 7551P 32 Core, 64Gb ECC DDR4, nVidia RTX A2000
|
|
|
21-07-2011, 10:16
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Re: Which graphic card?
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c
I would have to say the ATI/AMD would be your best bet unless you can get a extra £50 - £60 together and get a GTX 560ti.
It is a tough choice to make but if you can wait and save some extra money up the 4870 will be fine for now, to put you on until you get enough for a better card.
Although it may not be able to play some of the latest games at that resolution with high detail setting's, it will play them at about 1680 x 1050 I think it is with decent detail setting's to put you on.
If you cannot wait or cannot save the extra cash then the 6870 is the card to get.
|
If I was to get the extra money, what make would you recommend?
I normally shop at Novatech here is a list of the 560: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...tifermiseries/
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
21-07-2011, 14:40
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: warrington
Age: 40
Posts: 1,641
|
Re: Which graphic card?
I am biased really when it comes to graphic's card's because I won't touch ATI/AMD because of, what I consider poor performance for the price and also issue's I have had with drivers from them, but never had issue's really with Nvidia card's other than overheating because of buying them almost the day they got released, or faulty card's which is rare.
It is up to you really on how long you want to wait before you buy the card really, if you can wait 3 month's and save as much as possible and then get the best you can then you will get a decent card, if you cannot wait and need to buy now then it has to be the 6870.
Best single card on the market for sheer performance forgetting the price is a GTX 580, Dual GPU card is the ATI/AMD 6990.
Best card for a decent price has to be the GTX 560ti, or the 6870 but the 560ti is a better performer overall although it is about £50 - £60 dearer.
__________________
 7900X3D, 64Gb Corsair 6000Mhz, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 4080 Super, Samsung 980 Pro 2Tb NVME
Unraid Server, 130TB Supermicro CSE-846, AMD Epyc 7551P 32 Core, 64Gb ECC DDR4, nVidia RTX A2000
|
|
|
21-07-2011, 16:49
|
#8
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Which graphic card?
I wouldn't buy a 2500K unless you really can't wait until just after Xmas for the Ivy Bridge's.
If you really want one I can sell you one (and/or mobo).
|
|
|
|
21-07-2011, 19:49
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sutton-in-Ashfield
Age: 56
Services: Freeview HD
Posts: 1,661
|
Re: Which graphic card?
I love my XFX 6870
|
|
|
21-07-2011, 20:20
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sutton-In-Ashfield
Age: 48
Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
Posts: 3,580
|
Re: Which graphic card?
I've got a GTX460 1Gb OC (GigaByte, factory over-clocked slightly) and it plays Bad Company 2 in DX11 in pretty high settings, but CycoSymz's 6870 does slightly out-perform it.
|
|
|
22-07-2011, 08:49
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Re: Which graphic card?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh
I wouldn't buy a 2500K unless you really can't wait until just after Xmas for the Ivy Bridge's.
If you really want one I can sell you one (and/or mobo).
|
I have been waiting for a upgrade to my PC for 2 years now, and I have already got the parts and fitted.
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
22-07-2011, 11:40
|
#12
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: warrington
Age: 40
Posts: 1,641
|
Re: Which graphic card?
The Ivy Bridge CPU's will fit in the LGA 1155 motherboard's according to Intel but may need a Bios update so you should be fine.
__________________
 7900X3D, 64Gb Corsair 6000Mhz, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 4080 Super, Samsung 980 Pro 2Tb NVME
Unraid Server, 130TB Supermicro CSE-846, AMD Epyc 7551P 32 Core, 64Gb ECC DDR4, nVidia RTX A2000
|
|
|
22-07-2011, 13:55
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Re: Which graphic card?
Thats good to hear 
I wasn't aware of the Ivy Bridge CPU.
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
22-07-2011, 13:57
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
|
Re: Which graphic card?
Buy the best you can afford and justify now. By the time Ivy Bridge, or whatever is out there will be something else to drool over on the horizon. IT stuff is continually developing you just have to decide when your PC is sufficiently outdated that it is time to upgrade.
|
|
|
22-07-2011, 14:05
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Re: Which graphic card?
Thanks all the replies
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:44.
|