06-07-2011, 15:09
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Age: 51
Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Posts: 2,462
|
Storing Vegetables
I was wondering how I could keep my Crops for Winter when I harvest them.
I've heard that storing your potatoes and carrots in a box layered with compost helps them keep for longer. I dont know if this is true though.
This year I will be harvesting a lot, but my main ones that I want to store are...
Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onion
Any Tips?
|
|
|
06-07-2011, 15:15
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
Hessian sacks are one of the best ways of storing root veg..
|
|
|
06-07-2011, 15:33
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Blackpool
Services: Broadband XL
TV XL
Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
Posts: 929
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf
I was wondering how I could keep my Crops for Winter when I harvest them.
I've heard that storing your potatoes and carrots in a box layered with compost helps them keep for longer. I dont know if this is true though.
This year I will be harvesting a lot, but my main ones that I want to store are...
Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onion
Any Tips?
|
Have a butcher's at this:
http://www.gardenwiseonline.ca/gw/ho...-crops-storage
Si thee
|
|
|
06-07-2011, 16:44
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,539
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
My onions are already hanging upside down for their final drying before stringing them up for the winter.
Spuds I leave in dry compost until needed (must keep dry and dark).
Carrots I leave in the ground as long as possible (slugs notwithstanding), leeks too.
Celery doesn't store well AFAIK.
|
|
|
06-07-2011, 18:39
|
#5
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
May sound silly but won't freezing what you can be an option?
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
06-07-2011, 18:44
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r
May sound silly but won't freezing what you can be an option?
|
Freezing destroys texture and flavour of a lot of veg. You can freeze cooked items well but even with a blast chiller stuff may end up as mush
|
|
|
06-07-2011, 20:27
|
#7
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
06-07-2011, 21:41
|
#8
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
Potatoes are good in a dry box with hay and covered so no light can get to them.
If light gets to them they will start to sprout which is not good.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 08:03
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Age: 51
Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Posts: 2,462
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
About the freezing - I made this mistake last year and chopped up my carrots, however, they kept for a few weeks before i noticed the flavour changed, so i'm not doing this again.
thanks for all the advice, ill be sure to take it on board for this years harvest.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 15:22
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 2nd CPU to the right & past the cache
Posts: 1,949
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
Not veggies on your list, but
Runner Beans freeze quite well. I freeze them individually on trays then transfer to plastic bags.
Marrows, grab a pair of your wife's/gf's tights and stuff the marrows in there, knot, stuff in next marrow etc. Hang from wooden beam in your shed. Stops them from bruising.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 17:53
|
#11
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
And don't forget you can make wine from ANY fruit or vegetable.Potato wine has a hell of a kick.
Mind I've never heard of onion wine but there is pickles to consider or even chutney.Roast onion chutney
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 20:57
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Storing Vegetables
Our excess tomatoes, onions, gherkins and some fruit always go into a nice spicy chutney..
The soft fruit gets jammed but most hard veg will keep... still got some pumpkins and squash from last year..
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:53.
|