This is what is wrong with this country ?
12-03-2011, 17:57
|
#16
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cambridgeshire
Age: 64
Posts: 4,232
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I see Art has done his usual trick, thrown a verbal hand grenade at the forum and then run away before anyone has had a chance to challenge his somewhat simplistic Tabloid worldview ...
|
Same crap, Different day mate... As always with Arthur.
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 18:51
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,798
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
I don't run away from anything, Supermarket is the worst job in the employment trade, when l left school, l worked for Homefare, International supermarkets, before going into a better paid job.
When you get a job you get it for what is on offer, pay, hours etc, I worked nights for twelve years, YOU get a job for the money to live on. I have also done price work.
The unemployed WANT to work, but not for a pittance of a wage, and this isn't an Arth rant, this is a fact.
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 18:54
|
#18
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,040
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
So are you saying the minimum wage isn't sufficient, Arthur?
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 19:03
|
#19
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cambridgeshire
Age: 64
Posts: 4,232
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu
I don't run away from anything, Supermarket is the worst job in the employment trade, when l left school, l worked for Homefare, International supermarkets, before going into a better paid job.
When you get a job you get it for what is on offer, pay, hours etc, I worked nights for twelve years, YOU get a job for the money to live on. I have also done price work.
The unemployed WANT to work, but not for a pittance of a wage, and this isn't an Arth rant, this is a fact.
|
Arthur, ALDI in Cambridge pay £8.00 PER HOUR thats got to be better than minimum wage mate?
If i was unemployed, i`d work for that wage.!"
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 19:08
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cambridge
Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
Posts: 4,349
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwieser
...minimum wage...
|
Just for the record:
Quote:
The National Minimum Wage (NMW) is a minimum amount per hour that most workers in the UK are entitled to be paid. If you are being paid below the NMW you can contact the Pay and Work Rights Helpline for confidential help.
Current NMW rates
There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates are:- £5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
- £4.92 - the 18-20 rate
- £3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
- £2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship
The age at which you become entitled to the main rate was reduced from 22 to 21 on 1 October 2010. The apprentice rate was introduced on the same date.
|
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ay/DG_10027201
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 19:26
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mansfield, Notts
Age: 46
Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Posts: 1,994
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu
The unemployed WANT to work, but not for a pittance of a wage, and this isn't an Arth rant, this is a fact.
|
Sorry Arthur, but this isn't true, some do and some don't. There's a lot of jobless people out there who just don't want to work for the minimum wage believing for some reason that they're worth more. Then there's a lot that don't want to work at all.
Round here, as a result of children being born into workless households for at least the last two generations, relying on benefits has become a way of life. It's not the amount of money a job would pay that will change this attitude, as it's the thought of having to do a job that is objected to.
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 19:35
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
about time we got government fine companies excessive profiteering.
Also stop helping companies get away with rubbish wage structure by forcing government to give tax credits.
I think there needs to be whip given out to private sector to sort this sorry mess out.
Better wages and job creation.
Make companies prove they cant pay bigger wages if they are deemed they cant then staff wages are given tax credit.
We should not help these rich companies get away with garbage wages forcing tax credit top ups.
I would also ban the 12 hour working practise this done massive damage to amount of jobs available out there.
I had brother in law work in chemical company 600+ workers then after 12 hour shift introduced less than 200.
About time we had government with bottle to take industry on.
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 19:43
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cambridge
Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
Posts: 4,349
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle
...Also stop helping companies get away with rubbish wage structure ....
|
If TESCO staff were paid 10% more, TESCO goods would cost 10% more. So fewer people would shop at TESCO.
Eventually, TESCO might go out of business. How would that help the workers?
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 19:50
|
#24
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle
about time we got government fine companies excessive profiteering.
Also stop helping companies get away with rubbish wage structure by forcing government to give tax credits.
I think there needs to be whip given out to private sector to sort this sorry mess out.
Better wages and job creation.
Make companies prove they cant pay bigger wages if they are deemed they cant then staff wages are given tax credit.
We should not help these rich companies get away with garbage wages forcing tax credit top ups.
I would also ban the 12 hour working practise this done massive damage to amount of jobs available out there.
I had brother in law work in chemical company 600+ workers then after 12 hour shift introduced less than 200.
About time we had government with bottle to take industry on.
|
whats wrong with companies earning money ? a fair wage is all a worker is entitled to ,he/she is not entitled to wages way beyond their skill level just so they can afford nice cars and big tellys, otherwise you wouldn't have any incentive to better yourself
As for your brother inlaw i would imagine that his 12 hr shift wouldn't be for 5 days a week ,it would also enable the company to cut overheads and stay competetive ,if they didn't the company could go out of buisness and then no-one's got a job
|
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 20:00
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
TheNorm It would not if they brought to task on profiteering.
If they cant afford proper wage then tax credit is the safety for that business.
The problem with it at the moment is the government topping up way too many wages while these companies just make obscene profits.
It has to stop greed is big issue why we in mess.
They want too much profits to pay idle rich but want the country bail them out for pay rubbish wages.
The alternative is to devalue the country so house prices/goods/food is less expensive. Make it so lower wages supports a standard of living.
We spiralling out of control something goto change either in mentality and actions.
I read the top rich in the world are better off. Seems the billionaires did not get effected by credit crunch.
Yet these people who own these rich companies telling bottom feeders to take less pay. However all whats going to happen is it forces government pay more tax credit relief to workers who struggling to live.
Something goto to change.
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 20:10
|
#26
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
I remember working for a supermarket, about 12 years ago. Earning a majestic 4.27 per hour with no uplift for the evenings I had to work.
Prior to that I worked in a warehouse freezer.
Then off to a call centre for a whole 4.75.
Then into IT. 12 years, and some ridiculously long hours later I make enough to be thoroughly irate at the amount of tax I pay.
It was good enough for me, and I am now doing well, what makes these people so special that they're too good for those wages?
|
I did a similar sort of thing.
Prior to doing my degree, I had some crap jobs. My first barely paid enough to cover my travel costs and expenses involved at work (eating at lunch etc). Thankfully, I was still living at home so did not not need to worry about other expenses. Having almost no money for a social life was a bummer though.
I stuck with the job because I thought it important to get experience, even though it was a crap job in a company who I thought (frankly) were a bunch of people the word I would use to describe is a little to impolite for family use.
After that, i had a succession of jobs that while they were not as badly paid, they were still too badly paid for the amount of responsibility required.
Then I did my degree. While I was doing that , I have to admit, I think I strike lucky with jobs. For the first few months, I was a shelf stacker in Sainsburys. It was a crap job, and paid miniumum wage, for which I had to work 4 hours a night from 8pm weekends. It was physically demanding (due to the amount of stock we had to put on the shelves) and boring. The manager also actively discouraged any banter, or communication between the workers of any kind.
The other job I had was the one I kept for most of my degree. Renting out videos at Blockbuster. The job itself was hard, badly paid (minimum wage again) and sometimes involved both long shifts and late nights. Stock taking was done once a month and couldn't be done while the shop was open (the in store computer system would not process anything else while a stocktake was going on). But, we did have a good excuse to watch all the latest films (the company didn't like it, but customers expected us to know all about the latest films, so we had to see them) and I did make a few friends there.
My current job is paid quite well (although I could earn a lot more if I wasn't happy to stick with it), frequently inolves late nights and unpaid overtime. But, I feel all the hard work is worth it.
My has been lost a little in all that rambling, so I'll explain it more clearly.
If I had looked at any of my jobs and decided to go on benefits rather than work for a pittance that barely covered my expenses in working, I could well still be on benefits, and earning a lot less than I do now.
Arthur, there is one reason that people born in the UK don't get these jobs. They aren't applying for them.
Despite appearances to the contrary, I actually don't agree with a lot of what the coalition say, but I do agree with one thing. There is a whole benefits culture in the UK where entire families have been claiming benefits for several generations. This needs to stop.
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 20:29
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mansfield
Age: 60
Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
Posts: 5,532
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Arthur STFU! You talk twaddle, your ring must be sore with all the effluent that emanates from it.
Nothing that you have said of late is worth commenting on (but I have to here at least)
I dont even think you think before you write something.
Get a life, because if you dont you'll end up having a heart attack with all the stress you seem to bring upon yourself.
__________________
Music is life - Live a fun one - listen to SKA!
I'm super lazy today!! Which is like normal lazy, but I'm also wearing a cape......
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 20:30
|
#28
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu
I don't run away from anything, Supermarket is the worst job in the employment trade, when l left school, l worked for Homefare, International supermarkets, before going into a better paid job.
When you get a job you get it for what is on offer, pay, hours etc, I worked nights for twelve years, YOU get a job for the money to live on. I have also done price work.
The unemployed WANT to work, but not for a pittance of a wage, and this isn't an Arth rant, this is a fact.
|
Arthur, it is not a fact, it's an opinion, and one that assumes everyone feels essentially the same as you do.
Plenty of unemployed people want to work. However the PROOF from the story you referred to is that plenty more do not. Otherwise, where were the queues of local people applying for the job?
The FACT is, Tesco or whoever will not go to the hassle of recruiting abroad if there are people locally because it is easier and cheaper to recruit locally - no language or training issues, cheaper job advertising - but they will go abroad if they HAVE TO. The FACT is, in this case, they had to.
Ask yourself why they had no choice but to recruit from overseas Arthur. Where were all these willing unemployed Brits you speak of?
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 20:52
|
#29
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Arthur, it is not a fact, it's an opinion, and one that assumes everyone feels essentially the same as you do.
Plenty of unemployed people want to work. However the PROOF from the story you referred to is that plenty more do not. Otherwise, where were the queues of local people applying for the job?
The FACT is, Tesco or whoever will not go to the hassle of recruiting abroad if there are people locally because it is easier and cheaper to recruit locally - no language or training issues, cheaper job advertising - but they will go abroad if they HAVE TO. The FACT is, in this case, they had to.
Ask yourself why they had no choice but to recruit from overseas Arthur. Where were all these willing unemployed Brits you speak of?
|
Indeed, it costs a *lot* more to recruit people from other countries. The likes of Tesco will be willing to pay a lot of money to employ people with good qualifications in high up jobs (executives etc), and, indeed, probably do. They won't be willing to do the same for any of the in store staff, who, with due respect, will not be that highly qualified. Why would they, when there are thousands of people local to each store who are equally qualified to do those jobs?
Your last sentance is just logic. Why would any company pay a lot of money to recruit anyone when they can get someone equally qualified for the job just by sticking an ad in the local paper?
|
|
|
12-03-2011, 21:09
|
#30
|
|
common as muck
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dirty Old Town
Posts: 3,564
|
Re: This is what is wrong with this country ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret
Arthur STFU! You talk twaddle, your ring must be sore with all the effluent that emanates from it.
Nothing that you have said of late is worth commenting on (but I have to here at least)
I dont even think you think before you write something.
Get a life, because if you dont you'll end up having a heart attack with all the stress you seem to bring upon yourself.
|
Calm down alferret... You might have a heart attack!
__________________
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:10.
|