04-01-2011, 16:49
|
#1
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 55
|
V+ unusable 12am-1am
This is really starting to p*** me off. Whenever I try and use the remote between midnight and 1am it's often totally unresponsive. If you fast forward a recorded programme then often you can't stop until it's at the end (so you have to try and rewind, again very hit and miss).
From reading old posts on here it's probably something to do with the programme guide updating. If that's the case, why the **** don't they do this at a sensible time (e.g. 4am) when there will be about 95% fewer users.
|
|
|
04-01-2011, 16:55
|
#2
|
|
Virgin Media Employee
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Winchester
Services: Staff MyRates
BB: VM 1Gb
TV: VM XL
Phone : VM XL
Posts: 3,388
|
re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Affects me too (SO22) but my folks (B91) are less affected. I have one of the older SA boxes and they the Sammy.
I think I'll go for the TiVo when the staff offer comes through. I'll loose one tuner for a while but it will get activated later so can record 2 programmes and watch 3rd as with V+.
__________________
I work for VMO2 but reply here in my own right. Any help or advice is made on a best-effort basis. No comments construe any obligation on VMO2 or its employees.
|
|
|
04-01-2011, 16:57
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Nuneaton
Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
Posts: 1,057
|
re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Same problem here in CV11 but starts earlier
|
|
|
04-01-2011, 17:42
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Quote:
Originally Posted by stann0
If that's the case, why the **** don't they do this at a sensible time (e.g. 4am) when there will be about 95% fewer users.
|
It's just the way it works. If it was done at 4am you'd have incorrect or no guide data for 4 hours. Search my old posts if you want a more detailed explanation.
|
|
|
04-01-2011, 17:50
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
I'll jump in on this thread as it remains my pet hate. I know the update is needed and that it does need to be at or close to midnight to keep things in sync. However the STB really shouldn't get overloaded to the point of unresponsiveness to the user during the process. I just hope that this issue has been properly tested and removed from the TiVo.
|
|
|
04-01-2011, 18:37
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
However the STB really shouldn't get overloaded to the point of unresponsiveness to the user during the process.
|
I agree. The priorities are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I just hope that this issue has been properly tested and removed from the TiVo.
|
Fear not, the TiVo EPG works in a totally different way. It doesn't use the DVB mechanisms.
|
|
|
04-01-2011, 19:02
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Posts: 8,384
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
I agree. The priorities are wrong.
Fear not, the TiVo EPG works in a totally different way. It doesn't use the DVB mechanisms.
|
The TiVo EPG is fab.
|
|
|
04-01-2011, 19:21
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wirral
Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
Posts: 1,485
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic
The TiVo EPG is fab. 
|
Can you confirm that it is indeed dynamic?
|
|
|
04-01-2011, 22:54
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2007
Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
Posts: 4,143
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I'll jump in on this thread as it remains my pet hate. I know the update is needed and that it does need to be at or close to midnight to keep things in sync. However the STB really shouldn't get overloaded to the point of unresponsiveness to the user during the process. I just hope that this issue has been properly tested and removed from the TiVo.
|
I think it's down to individual boxes. I've 2 V+ boxes and one has difficulty at midnight the other responds no problem. The irony is that it's the older, silver, Telewest TV drive box that responds well. The sluggish one is only 6 months old. I only noticed the difference because SWMBO wanted the black box in the living room because we got a new TV, stand etc.
|
|
|
05-01-2011, 11:21
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: cambs
Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
Posts: 780
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
My Samsung does exactly the same, i do think it's ridiculous that updating the tv guide should almost make your box unusable for an hour. I really want this Tivo or at least a far long awaited upgrade to the software on the existing boxes, Sky EPG has been better than Virgin for years this will be a very welcome upgrade for anyone
|
|
|
05-01-2011, 11:41
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Posts: 8,384
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70
Can you confirm that it is indeed dynamic?
|
I'm not allowed to talk about specifics, sorry Mersey.
|
|
|
10-01-2011, 12:54
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
I'll add my complaint as well --- really annoys me. When the clocks change for the summer, at least it's an hour later... The proper reason for British summer time all year round?
Roll on TIVO...
---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic
I'm not allowed to talk about specifics, sorry Mersey.
|
Because TIVO is a box that's launched, but not launched; a concept known only to Virgin 
|
|
|
10-01-2011, 14:56
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wirral
Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
Posts: 1,485
|
Re: V+ unusable 12am-1am
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I'll add my complaint as well --- really annoys me. When the clocks change for the summer, at least it's an hour later... The proper reason for British summer time all year round?
Roll on TIVO...
---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------
Because TIVO is a box that's launched, but not launched; a concept known only to Virgin  
|
It was probably a silly question by me to start with anyway, of course it will have a dynamic EPG. It would be ludicrous if it didn't.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22.
|