21-11-2010, 23:01
|
#1
|
|
Guest
Location: Cleethorpes
Services: Virgin XL
Posts: n/a
|
Tablet Style devices
I thought about starting a thread regarding a particular tablet style device, but wondered whether a more general one would be more useful?
If the mods disagree then please advise?
The idea is that there are so many of these kind of devices becoming available this thread will be an opportunity to discuss them without having a separate thread for each one?
I'm thinking about kit like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, Dell Streak, Linx N700 & the Archos 101...
For example I was looking at the Linx N700 in Tesco, today for £299 & wondered, would it work with my bog standard tesco mobile 'value' payg sim card from my Nokia 3310?
|
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 00:01
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,199
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
What is a tablet style device?
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 00:24
|
#3
|
|
Guest
Location: Cleethorpes
Services: Virgin XL
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by defirish
What is a tablet style device?
|
A device with a touch screen rather than a keyboard that can connect to the internet, play media, etc
- the Apple i-pad is one example.
- not quite correct, but one definition might be a smart phone with a bigger screen.
|
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 00:27
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,199
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Ah right. Thanks for that explaination. If you can any chance of a link please so I can get the full picture of what it is if you dont mind?
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 00:37
|
#5
|
|
Guest
Location: Cleethorpes
Services: Virgin XL
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by defirish
Ah right. Thanks for that explaination. If you can any chance of a link please so I can get the full picture of what it is if you dont mind?
|
ok here is a link for the Linx N700
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-2534.aspx
|
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 00:41
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,199
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
That looks really good. Wouldn't mind one of them myself
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 05:22
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex innit
Age: 52
Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL
BT Telephone
Posts: 15,735
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
In theory I would expect it to work with a sim that has a data tariff and a data service available to it. I would be surprised if tesco were selling items that they couldn't bundle together to make even more money from customers lol
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 05:47
|
#8
|
|
Guest
Location: Cleethorpes
Services: Virgin XL
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
In theory I would expect it to work with a sim that has a data tariff and a data service available to it. I would be surprised if tesco were selling items that they couldn't bundle together to make even more money from customers lol
|
LOL yes, good point
|
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 06:36
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
I've got my hands on the Galaxy yesterday. Its size makes it a very expensive media player. Handy for the planes and video conferencing with Mrs Gaz when you're away.
If you are happy with the 7" size then the Linx looks good value with similar specs to the Galaxy but almost half the price.
For me though I think size does matter and so i'd go for the 10" Archos.
There are loads more coming so you might want to hang back and see what happens.
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 08:43
|
#10
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
I must admit I also like the look of the Archos 101.
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 10:54
|
#11
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
I will be buying the Archos 101 but they are a little like rocking horse poop in the UK. The Dixons group had them listed in stock but then the website took them down. Everyone else is saying stock by the end of the month. I will be using my Galaxy S in wireless router mode when mobile so no need for a data package either which is cool
|
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 11:22
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
I've got a slightly eaarlier version Archos - the Internet Tablet 5. It does what it says on the tin  500GB storage means you are never going to run out of stuff to watch, and it's a plenty big enough screen to view when your crammed into that aircraft seat, whilst still being able to fit in your pocket. Battery life does not get to the 7 hours video claimed even with the add on battery thing that is supposed to give 1.5 times the lifespan. Once I'd paid the extra for the add on codecs, I've not had a problem with playback of any content that I've acquired. Perhaps the only thing missing was the 3G support, but then most places you stay these days have wi-fi, so why do I need more mobility?
Personally, I want want of these things to have a decent level of storage for media. Most of these tablets are just not going to be big enough.
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 11:25
|
#13
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
the Archos 101 has full USB support so if you were going somewhere you need more than its 8/16 gig internal and upto 32 gig microsdhc you could take a 2.5 inch external drive and use that
|
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 11:30
|
#14
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogemaflop
the Archos 101 has full USB support so if you were going somewhere you need more than its 8/16 gig internal and upto 32 gig microsdhc you could take a 2.5 inch external drive and use that
|
I just watched a couple of youtube videos and it does look nice it must be said - and I like the hdmi connection
I did chuckle at the spelling mistake on the front of the first units though  the archos 101 internet table
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 11:57
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
I didn't know Android handled external drives. That is smart.
BTW Advent (PC World own brand) are also doing their own tablet. 10" and around the £250 mark.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:17.
|