2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
11-11-2010, 08:29
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
A good article about the Unknown soldier for those that don't know what he represents..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11710660
Also I'll be observing the two minutes silence (including keyboard silence)..anyone else??
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 08:34
|
#2
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,378
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 08:57
|
#3
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,059
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 09:16
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: S*it Creek, Salford.
Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
Posts: 1,523
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
 Lest we Forget.
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 09:37
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Abertawe
Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Posts: 2,859
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 09:57
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
I doubt the thugs who rioted yesterday (and their ilk) know or care anything about all the sacrifice which went into confering on them the rights they so abused.
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 10:12
|
#7
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,378
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem
I doubt the thugs who rioted yesterday (and their ilk) know or care anything about all the sacrifice which went into confering on them the rights they so abused.
|
Maybe not but I think my father who did take part in WW2 would have taken heart that the majority of those who protested yesterday weren't violent and will probably have bought a poppy and are wearing it because freedom of choice is what it is all about.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 10:20
|
#8
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
I have a poppy on my phone again this year (£5) which is fine, although I did keep being asked while I was at my group yesterday why I didn't have one. So I ended up getting a physical one too.
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 11:26
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
2 minutes' silence was perfectly observed here in the centre of Leicester by people of all colours and faiths.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 11:31
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
Maybe not but I think my father who did take part in WW2 would have taken heart that the majority of those who protested yesterday weren't violent and will probably have bought a poppy and are wearing it because freedom of choice is what it is all about.
|
Yes mine too. Let's hope that the **** who indulge in such behaviour remain a small minority.
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 11:36
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Doncaster
Services: Virgin: XL TV inc V+ Box - M Phone - L Broadband.
Posts: 105
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
2 minutes' silence was perfectly observed here in the centre of Leicester by people of all colours and faiths.
|
Unfortunately it wasn't here though - http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/ne..._armistice_day
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 14:17
|
#12
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,059
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
They fought and fell to allow idiots like those to have the freedom to be idiots - let us focus on those who have fallen, not those who would sully their sacrifice, please.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 14:25
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,785
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
2 minutes' silence was perfectly observed here in the centre of Leicester by people of all colours and faiths.
|
Here, too, in Coventry city centre. Sadness and strength.
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 17:04
|
#14
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,924
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
I was driving home after being delayed at an appointment. I pulled over to the side of the road and was pleasantly surprised to see several other drivers had done the same.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
11-11-2010, 17:28
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sutton-In-Ashfield
Age: 48
Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
Posts: 3,580
|
Re: 2 minutes silence & unknown soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
Also I'll be observing the two minutes silence (including keyboard silence)..anyone else??
|
Yep, I most certainly did (don't let my username fool you! lol)
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:33.
|