03-11-2010, 02:52
|
#31
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
No doubt you will find out and report back here. Hopefully you will prove me wrong.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 02:56
|
#32
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
I am going bed, but what I have learned from reading VM's own forums.
Unclassified traffic appears to be shaped down, this obviously will void VM's claim only nntp and p2p is throttled. Ignition's own post on there showing a speedtest done on port 8095 showed this.
Few complaints of games been affected.
Few complaints of http been affected ranging from slow http downloads to missing images and pages timing out.
and of course the mtu issue reported.
its worth noting although shaping is disabled at midnight (after STM peak stops) traffic is still probably been routed through the equipment.
I am curious what the name of the equipment is VM are using. If its ellocoya's or something else.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 06:14
|
#33
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,105
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Welcome to the new Virginmedia ADSL emulation mode.
This is a free upgrade for all VM's customers at no cost and will show you what ADSL users having been getting for over a year now
Welcome to
You buy one you get less free
.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 06:51
|
#34
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunderland,UK
Services: VM Retail Rates deal
Posts: 260
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ
I had a similar problem on Astraweb yesterday evening and changing the port fixed it.
|
Same here.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 07:34
|
#35
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 113
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney
Same here.
|
+ 1
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 09:45
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I am curious what the name of the equipment is VM are using. If its ellocoya's or something else.
|
http://www.allot.com/Service_Gateway_Sigma.html
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:24
|
#37
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 44
Services: XL 2x v+, 1 stb, 50mb, phone
Posts: 514
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
how the have the gaul to charge just under 50 quid for that, is a damn right joke.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 10:31
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
They don't.. Some of that charge is the phone line
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 11:17
|
#39
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 113
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
I guess VM have thought this through and are quite happy to risk losing the '1%' of their customers that use Newsgroups/p2p
I was thinking of a move to BT Infinity, but it looks they have the same sort of throttling with this kind of traffic.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 11:41
|
#40
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 44
Services: XL 2x v+, 1 stb, 50mb, phone
Posts: 514
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
its not just that its online gaming as well
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 12:18
|
#41
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: TV XL/Phone XL/BB XL
Posts: 125
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
If you use SSL does it get round the traffic shaping? Comments I've read seem to suggest that that's the case.
Why couldn't they just leave the system as it is? I thought that the traffic management was there to deal with the "5%" of people downloading/uploading large amounts. Now my connection is being crippled with traffic shaping as well as traffic management and I'm losing anywhere from 60% to 95% of my connection speed for up to 12 hours a day. I'm not buying the "it's not financially viable not to have it" thing at all, considering Virgin Media's profits are on the up.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 12:43
|
#42
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the green box at the end of the road to hell
Services: VM 10Meg + Epic life skillz
Posts: 88
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma
If you use SSL does it get round the traffic shaping? Comments I've read seem to suggest that that's the case.
Why couldn't they just leave the system as it is? I thought that the traffic management was there to deal with the "5%" of people downloading/uploading large amounts. Now my connection is being crippled with traffic shaping as well as traffic management and I'm losing anywhere from 60% to 95% of my connection speed for up to 12 hours a day. I'm not buying the "it's not financially viable not to have it" thing at all, considering Virgin Media's profits are on the up.
|
Moving to SSL fixed the issue for me but not sure I have gone over fair usage as I have been in Bali for 3 weeks and the modem was powered off. Oh and I wasnt traffic managed
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 15:24
|
#43
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
ok I have tested. and will pass this on oto VM.
mtu 900 5 speedtest.net london tests in a row.
18.34
18.66
18.29
19.01
18.10
mtu 1500 repeated
6.26
1.27
12.09
6.06
10.69
tbb speedtest, port 8095 was ok port 80 slow. (mtu 900)
port 8095 15.66 meg
port 80 6.66meg.
repeated with similiar results.
I have not tested yet if normal browsing and youtube etc. improve with lower mtu as still not using VM for that.
single stream ftp downloads remain flaky even with mtu 900.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 15:55
|
#44
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheryl Cole's pants / Derby
Services: 100MB, M Phone and XL TV (1x Tivo, 1x Samsung V+)
Posts: 518
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
i'm on 50mb just downloaded 5.6gb file at16:45 @5.92mbps, no capping/throttling here.
Location: Derby
Provider: NewsDemon
Port: 80
SSL: YES
Client: SABnzbd+ 0.5.4
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 15:58
|
#45
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 113
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *sloman*
i'm on 50mb just downloaded 5.6gb file at16:45 @5.92mbps, no capping/throttling here.
Location: Derby
Provider: NewsDemon
Port: 80
SSL: YES
Client: SABnzbd+ 0.5.4
|
try it again past 5pm - I think that's when the throttling kicks in
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:20.
|