2g simcard to 3g simcard (Orange)
06-10-2010, 22:47
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: One of the 'shires.
Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
Posts: 1,484
|
2g simcard to 3g simcard (Orange)
Tonight I decided to treat myself to a new android phone from the Orange shop, it comes with a 3G simcard. In my current Orange phone I have a 2G simcard, the 3G coverage in my area (especially in the house) is pretty much non-existent.
Can I put my current simcard in the phone and still use all the same functions?(obviously at slower speeds)
And if I have to use the 3G sim, can I keep the same number at all?
|
|
|
07-10-2010, 01:21
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NW UK
Posts: 3,546
|
Re: 2g simcard to 3g simcard (Orange)
sort of and yes.
Any functions requiring 3g will not work on a 2g card, and if you upgrade to the 3g card then yes you can keep the number.
|
|
|
07-10-2010, 15:03
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: One of the 'shires.
Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
Posts: 1,484
|
Re: 2g simcard to 3g simcard (Orange)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon
sort of and yes.
Any functions requiring 3g will not work on a 2g card, and if you upgrade to the 3g card then yes you can keep the number.
|
Thank you.
|
|
|
07-10-2010, 15:30
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Guildford, Surrey
Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Posts: 982
|
Re: 2g simcard to 3g simcard (Orange)
Perhaps I can ask a follow-up question. I'm using an old (I assume 2g) PAYG SIM in a t-mobile Nokia 5230, which often displays "3.5G" connection. What sort of 3G functions am I likely to be missing out on (if any)?
|
|
|
07-10-2010, 17:09
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: peterborough
Services: VM VIP50
Posts: 2,043
|
Re: 2g simcard to 3g simcard (Orange)
3.5G is HSDPA, which is faster than normal 3G. This means you must have a 3G simcard. For more info on HSDPA try this link
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hsdpa.htm
|
|
|
08-10-2010, 13:16
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Guildford, Surrey
Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Posts: 982
|
Re: 2g simcard to 3g simcard (Orange)
Thanks for that jellybaby. I'll stop worrying about my SIM card now
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:07.
|