04-10-2010, 08:40
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Age: 51
Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Posts: 2,462
|
Dell Streak - Flaw
I have to have a rant about this…..
I signed up with 02 2 Months back and got a Dell Streak, great phone I admit, it's a cross between a small Ipad and a Mobile phone, wicked MP3 player.
My trouble was that I broke it accidently, so I took it back and they replaced the phone, they thought the phone just stopped working.
That very same day (5 weeks ago) I sat down and my Dell Streak was in my pocket, the screen under the glass broke. Obviously I was a little peed off to say the least.
I took the phone back to 02 and told them the dog jumped up and it broke, the dog gets blamed for everything. They flat refused to replace the phone.
So having no where else to turn, I contacted Dell, and apparently they told me it would cost £180 to replace the display, and it would be easier just to buy a new phone. They don’t cover insurance for the screens apparently.
So I'm left with a brand new Dell Streak, and if I want to use it I have to shell out £180. I think it's outrageous.
If you're thinking of buying one, DON’T, they are good phones but the display is flawed, one slight knock and you've had it.
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 08:49
|
#2
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Erm, its an LCD and glass screen, same thing would happen with any large lcd panel.
Friend dropped his HTC Desire and cracked the screen. He got the same response regarding paying for the repair himself.
I had my digtal camera in my back pocket and sat on it. Front lcd was trashed and its costing me £90 to get it repaired as they have to replace the glass and lcd panel due to them being glued together.
I guess the Streak screen will be the same.
How on earth did you fit that thing in your pocket? The Streak is huge!!
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 08:50
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,354
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Keep on at them. I would probably have told the truth rather than some story about the dog but from reports on the web this seems to be a common issue.
Gather evidence of other people's stories and write to them stating that you expect them to repair this and that you want to see evidence of investigation.
Companies will fob you off as much as you can but you might as well keep bothering them (O2 and Dell) as you will eventually win.
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 08:56
|
#4
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 30
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Dell after service is great, we had inspiron laptop, and had it repaired 3 times; but albeit grand service, i'll go for one next time that will last more than a year, not Dell.
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 09:03
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Posts: 923
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Threads all over the place saying the screen cracks easy, but then again there are threads all over the place for every smart phone saying the screen cracks easy.
Bit pointless now but why didn't you take out insurance, or use your house insurance..
http://www.rwsnextg.co.uk/dell-streak-repair.php
They may be able to help ya a bit cheaper.
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 09:06
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire
Age: 51
Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Posts: 2,462
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Cant claim on the house insurance unless i pay extra £7 a month, im screwed either way but i will definately take your advice.
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 09:25
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,354
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Home Insurance @ £7 a month: £84 (a year)
Dell cost to replace: £180
So unless you are prepared for a fight with them - go the Home Insurance route!
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 09:42
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doncaster, S. Yorks.
Age: 43
Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
Posts: 2,320
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
The thing is, it seems these new smart phones etc aren't designed to be in trouser pockets etc.
It wouldn't have made a difference with O2 if he'd told the truth (although I would have). I had an O2 Cocoon flip phone ages ago, and while it was closed in my pocket, somehow the inside screen cracked, and though it was a flaw with the phone, O2 class it as user damage so wouldn't replace the phone...I was REALLY annoyed because it was the best phone I'd ever had!
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 12:17
|
#9
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 30
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
why are half the answers talking about insurance, its time these things were made fit for the job and lasted a decent length of time, insurance? these companies see you coming.
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 12:29
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doncaster, S. Yorks.
Age: 43
Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
Posts: 2,320
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammac
why are half the answers talking about insurance, its time these things were made fit for the job and lasted a decent length of time, insurance? these companies see you coming.
|
Yes thats true, but the fact still stands that if you ever need to claim, the claims are relatively hassle-free, I know, as I've previously claimed on my iPhone insurance...
Household policies sometimes cover mobile phones, so the only thing to pay for is the excess...
Apart from the sometimes excessive cost, they do what they are meant to do.
Unfortunately, we as consumers, don't control the quality of products released for sale in the UK, so no matter how much you whine/moan about them, its not going to make manufacturers listen, as all devices are made to a price-point...
|
|
|
04-10-2010, 14:45
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mansfield
Age: 60
Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
Posts: 5,532
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Easy answer to this is put it down to your own carelessness and sort it out of your own pocket. You broke it by... A, having it in your back pocket & B, sitting on it. Smartphones are not made to be sat on and blaming the dog to make a claim is fraudulent which is probably why we pay £7pm and not £5pm. Probably not the kind of response your after but hey ho.
My smartphone never goes in my back pocket, its looked after and in mint condition with heavy use at home and work.
---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf
I have to have a rant about this…..
I signed up with 02 2 Months back and got a Dell Streak, great phone I admit, it's a cross between a small Ipad and a Mobile phone, wicked MP3 player.
My trouble was that I broke it accidently, so I took it back and they replaced the phone, they thought the phone just stopped working.
That very same day (5 weeks ago) I sat down and my Dell Streak was in my pocket, the screen under the glass broke. Obviously I was a little peed off to say the .
I took the phone back to 02 and told them the dog jumped up and it broke, the dog gets blamed for everything. They flat refused to replace the phone.
So having no where else to turn, I contacted Dell, and apparently they told me it would cost £180 to replace the display, and it would be easier just to buy a new phone. They don’t cover insurance for the screens apparently.
So I'm left with a brand new Dell Streak, and if I want to use it I have to shell out £180. I think it's outrageous.
If you're thinking of buying one, DON’T, they are good phones but the display is flawed, one slight knock and you've had it.
|
How can you have a rant when you were stupid enough to break it lol, you either have insurance or you don't and if the latter its you're problem.
__________________
Music is life - Live a fun one - listen to SKA!
I'm super lazy today!! Which is like normal lazy, but I'm also wearing a cape......
|
|
|
05-10-2010, 11:59
|
#12
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 30
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker
Yes thats true, but the fact still stands that if you ever need to claim, the claims are relatively hassle-free, I know, as I've previously claimed on my iPhone insurance...
Household policies sometimes cover mobile phones, so the only thing to pay for is the excess...
Apart from the sometimes excessive cost, they do what they are meant to do.
Unfortunately, we as consumers, don't control the quality of products released for sale in the UK, so no matter how much you whine/moan about them, its not going to make manufacturers listen, as all devices are made to a price-point...
|
---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------
thats ajoke, your inferring manufacturers can sell all sorts of rubbish as lon as we (the mugs) have insurance, what planet you from, or as mos t likely, what manufacturer, or insurance company do you work for? I repeat, i want something that will last, at least as long as the warranty, you think we should by the equipment AND test it. Vested interest.
|
|
|
05-10-2010, 12:16
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Huntingdon, Cambs
Age: 60
Services: SKY HD+, BT BB
Posts: 586
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammac
---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------
thats ajoke, your inferring manufacturers can sell all sorts of rubbish as lon as we (the mugs) have insurance, what planet you from, or as mos t likely, what manufacturer, or insurance company do you work for? I repeat, i want something that will last, at least as long as the warranty, you think we should by the equipment AND test it. Vested interest.
|
That's not what he's infering IMHO, he is saying that manufacturers will produce a product of a quality to meet a price point. If there was a market for a robust phone that withstands being sat on, runover or dropped in the toilet then it would cost a lot more to manufacture and for us to purchase.
If a product fails thru no fault of the owner within a warranty period it will be replaced - that's a differant thing from accidental damage BY the owner (or their pets)
|
|
|
05-10-2010, 12:56
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doncaster, S. Yorks.
Age: 43
Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
Posts: 2,320
|
Re: Dell Streak - Flaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog66
That's not what he's infering IMHO, he is saying that manufacturers will produce a product of a quality to meet a price point. If there was a market for a robust phone that withstands being sat on, runover or dropped in the toilet then it would cost a lot more to manufacture and for us to purchase.
If a product fails thru no fault of the owner within a warranty period it will be replaced - that's a differant thing from accidental damage BY the owner (or their pets)
|
Thanks for that.... That was EXACTLY my point!
If you want to pay £1000 for a super-robust mobile phone, then I'm sure you can. But it seems, you want Manufacturers to lose out on cash, to use higher quality materials so it doesn't break.
Bear in mind here, it isn't the manufacturers that gobble your cash, but the retailers by putting 100/200% markups on them
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:42.
|