08-07-2010, 20:17
|
#121
|
|
Guest
|
Re: 3d tv
Alice is number 19 all time American takings with 334 million higher than Forest Gump,Lion King, Transformers
And number 5 globally with over a billion above dark knight and all the harry potters
|
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 20:29
|
#122
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: 3d tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zing
Alice is number 19 all time American takings with 334 million higher than Forest Gump,Lion King, Transformers
|
Yet with all the hype, the top 20 only contains two 3d movies..
http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/.../domestic/data
I think where 3d is probably suffering at the moment is it's being used to bolster up films that would otherwise not get the publicity and not do so well. This means it is being added to films that were not made for 3d and I think unless Hollywood stops doing that, 3d will suffer because people will associate it with bad images.
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 20:39
|
#123
|
|
Guest
|
Re: 3d tv
I think you will find its a lack of screens. It took ages for my local cinema to upgrade and now it has 2. Cost of this update has been prohibited.
At one stage 3 films were being shown on only 1 screen its never gonna work that way is it?
I still think 3D cinema is the future
Look at the current US top 10 Last Air Bender , Shrek forever after , Toy Story 3D
Toy story 3 is close to top 20 and not even full released yet it will imo hit top 10
What do you class a box office hit? Was Star Trek 2009 a box office hit? 127th Shrek forever after has almost caught up with it. Loads of 3d films above it( imdb global listing)
|
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 21:14
|
#124
|
|
NUTS !!
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,323
|
Re: 3d tv
The films I have seen in 3D was because they were in 3D, as it was all new. But the novelty has now worn off for me, in future I'll probably stick to 2D.
At a push I might see Shrek or Toy Story in 3D, films like those, but for films like Saw etc I won't watch them in 3D as you tend to lose too much of what's going on.
__________________
Oh what fun it is
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 21:20
|
#125
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hove
Age: 51
Services: XL Tv,100MB,M Phone.
Posts: 1,287
|
Re: 3d tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
Avatar did well. The others have not necessarily. I suspect that's the reason behind Disney rushing Alice in Wonderland to Blu Ray.
|
Avatar has doen 'well'??? Come on Stuart,Avatar was an absolute bombshell...
and yes,the others HAVE done well! Please check BO numbers if you don't believe me.
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 21:21
|
#126
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north west
Age: 45
Services: VM phone TV 50Mbps BB
Posts: 1,252
|
Re: 3d tv
Do what I do. Dont go and see any 3D films. That way you dont know what (if anything) you're missing and its one less novelty expensive item to go out and spunk your hard earned on
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 22:24
|
#127
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: 3d tv
I do believe the point of the article in The Register is to question the value people place on 3d. It's all very well stating that Shrek, Harry Potter, Alice et al have or are expected to do well, but is that because of 3d? Also, is it well enough? If Wikipedia is to be believed, the sequel to Superman Returns was cancelled despite S.R. doing quite well at the box office. The sequel was cancelled because it did not do well enough.
---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st
Avatar has doen 'well'??? Come on Stuart,Avatar was an absolute bombshell...
|
I said it's done well.. It has. Unless you are using a different definition of well to me?
Quote:
|
and yes,the others HAVE done well! Please check BO numbers if you don't believe me.
|
I have checked BO numbers. See my post above. Some have done well. A lot haven't..
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 23:00
|
#128
|
|
Guest
|
Re: 3d tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
I do believe the point of the article in The Register is to question the value people place on 3d. It's all very well stating that Shrek, Harry Potter, Alice et al have or are expected to do well, but is that because of 3d? Also, is it well enough? If Wikipedia is to be believed, the sequel to Superman Returns was cancelled despite S.R. doing quite well at the box office. The sequel was cancelled because it did not do well enough.
---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------
I said it's done well.. It has. Unless you are using a different definition of well to me?
The movie studios making these in 3d must see some value in it seeing as it costs a fortune
I have checked BO numbers. See my post above. Some have done well. A lot haven't..
|
there have been plenty of turkeys that aint been 3d too
|
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 23:46
|
#129
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Woking
Age: 56
Posts: 2,266
|
Re: 3d tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zing
and still plenty for 2010.
Harry Potter ,Resident Evil,Last Airbender, cats and dogs the revenge of kitty galore,Jackass 3d,Saw VII, Pirana 3d,Alpha and Omega, Step up 3d,Tron, Yogi Bear, plus others
http://www.film-releases.com/film-re...chedule-3D.php here is a nice little list
|
..and from that list I would pay to watch... none of them!
|
|
|
08-07-2010, 23:57
|
#130
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: 3d tv
Well I'm going to see piranha 3d to see Kelly brooks' boobs in 3d
|
|
|
09-07-2010, 00:21
|
#131
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: 3d tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by zing
there have been plenty of turkeys that aint been 3d too 
|
Not denying that.. But a turd with bling is still a turd.
I'll ask this. Apart from Avatar, which earned almost 2/3rds of it's income from 3d showings, how many films have done well based purely on their 3d showings?
---------- Post added at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 ----------
Anyway, it may appear I am attacking 3d. I am not. I like 3d films. I just think that if hollywood keeps using it as a gimmick to bolster films they don't think will do well by converting them at the last minute, it will ultimately fail because people will be disillusioned with the films produced.
James Cameron would seem to agree.
From http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/mich...e-jury-is-out/
Quote:
|
“After Toy Story, there were 10 really bad CG movies because everybody thought the success of that film was CG and not great characters that were beautifully designed and heartwarming,” Avatar’s James Cameron told me recently. "Now, you’ve got people quickly converting movies from 2D to 3D, which is not what we did. They’re expecting the same result, when in fact they will probably work against the adoption of 3D because they’ll be putting out an inferior product.”
|
|
|
|
09-07-2010, 08:48
|
#132
|
|
Guest
|
Re: 3d tv
oh I totally agree that they should not convert
|
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:27.
|