Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
05-06-2010, 19:10
|
#166
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bournemouth (where the sun never stops shining - lol)
Services: VM. VIP pack 152meg BB, TiVo & V+HD box on XL tv pack with Sky Sports BT Sports & Movies HD. XL Phon
Posts: 221
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveetwo
Worked for me okay and got an email response as well.
|
Oh ok, I'll give it another go. I take it you have a "@ntlworld.com" address extention?
---------- Post added at 20:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveetwo
Worked for me okay and got an email response as well.
|
No, tried again, it doesn't reconise my e-mail address.
Hopefully I'll get some feedback later, thanks anyway.
|
|
|
05-06-2010, 19:59
|
#167
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Teesside
Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
Posts: 159
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHM
Same for me, has anyone with an ntlworld email address suceeded in registering? Or is it just not accepting ntlworld addresses?
--John
|
I have an ntl email address and had no problems. I live in Teesside.
|
|
|
05-06-2010, 20:01
|
#168
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 352
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
Be under no allusion, Sky really wanted the Virgin 1 Freeview slot 
|
They already have Freeview slots and do virtually nothing with them. An ultra niche sports news channel, a far right wing regular 'news' channel, and a channel full of lowest common denominator brain dead trash so bad it would make a Bravo viewer ashamed.
Freeview is a total mess (can someone tell me why on earth there is a Russian news channel on Freeview?!), and Sky aren't helping.
|
|
|
05-06-2010, 20:07
|
#169
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboshi
can someone tell me why on earth there is a Russian news channel on Freeview?!.
|
It's for Chelsea supporters, obvious
|
|
|
05-06-2010, 21:05
|
#170
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West London
Services: V.I.P
Posts: 1,271
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboshi
They already have Freeview slots and do virtually nothing with them. An ultra niche sports news channel, a far right wing regular 'news' channel, and a channel full of lowest common denominator brain dead trash so bad it would make a Bravo viewer ashamed.
Freeview is a total mess (can someone tell me why on earth there is a Russian news channel on Freeview?!), and Sky aren't helping.
|
They have slots so that other broadcasters can't buy and use them. OFCOM has recently given Sky the go ahead to launch a premium service using their slots, the more slots they have the more channels the can offer.
|
|
|
05-06-2010, 21:20
|
#171
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenwich, SE10
Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
Posts: 865
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1981
Comedy Central HD would be great but there is very little HD content on there(Scrubs season 8 only, 30 Rock, Two & a Half, South Park, Rules of Engagement and Sam Who & The Office), other shows Raymond, King of Queens, Frasier etc are all SD only.
|
I'd be happy if Comedy Central went widescreen, let alone HD - have you watched season 4 of 30 Rock? Ridiculous...and that massive DOG in the corner doesn't help :
|
|
|
05-06-2010, 21:54
|
#172
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Location: W Mids
Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
Posts: 2,081
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
will the recent sky/vm deal affect the vod side of thnigs at all for us?
|
|
|
05-06-2010, 22:47
|
#173
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West London
Services: V.I.P
Posts: 1,271
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Yes, it should mean more content. In the press release it says that not only will VM continue to offer VOD content from the former VMtv channels but also Sky basic and premium content.
Now there have been a few posts about VM betting on VoD being the future, well think again, 9 probably isn't really enough time for things to change that dramatically but if they do VM will still be stuck. Currently when Sky buy a show they buy the Free to air rights, pay TV rights and the VOD rights.
Not being content owners anymore means that they are now reliant on Sky for more then just TV channels.
You can hark on all you want about Catch up TV but that is just a glorified PVR service. HBO and Warner TV as good as they are have the same shows over and over again and it can be frustrating to follow a show. Although it will be nice to get Sky stuff on demand now.
+1 for another Comedy Central HD channel, I watch this channel a lot and would love to see all the newer shows in HD.
|
|
|
06-06-2010, 00:36
|
#174
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Posts: 8,384
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by piquet41
Hi. Ben B; BenMcr; DF..... could one of you please tell us why those of us with an ntl: e-mail address can't register?
Has anyone with an ntl: e-mail address had any success??
VMT.
|
It should work.. Anyone else having a problem?
---------- Post added at 01:36 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70
I am not talking about the technology I am talking about who owns and controls VM and you can say what you like but it's NTL.
|
You are very wrong, mersey70... the company is most definately not NTL (or Telewest) in any way... even from the inside, that's seems so long ago now.
|
|
|
06-06-2010, 00:53
|
#175
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic
It should work.. Anyone else having a problem?
---------- Post added at 01:36 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------
You are very wrong, mersey70... the company is most definately not NTL (or Telewest) in any way... even from the inside, that's seems so long ago now.
|
I do it dosnt recognise my blueyonder email address.
|
|
|
06-06-2010, 01:06
|
#176
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Posts: 8,384
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras
I do it dosnt recognise my blueyonder email address.
|
I've just registered with my blueyonder address and worked ok.... do you get an error message?
Have you tried with a hotmail address or similar?
|
|
|
06-06-2010, 01:18
|
#177
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,499
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
I have gotten so bored with the whole "will they/won't they" rubbish about red button and HD that I couldn't care less if they do or they don't, none of it interests me.
In 2002 I worked for ntl, the red button services were "coming soon" back then. They still aren't here, just like caller display. Does anyone actually care any more? I don't! I use the TV service because overall I prefer it to Sky and I have a long-term affection for the cable platform, but that's a loyalty VM do not deserve.
|
|
|
06-06-2010, 05:45
|
#178
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: area 14
Services: SkyQ silver 2TB
SkyQ mini multiroom
Boxset
skysports HD
skymovies HD
Virgin vivid 350meg
Posts: 281
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1981
Sorry Chuck was on the bubble and was going to be cancelled they filmed two different season 3 endings because of this, I am a fan of the show. Regardless of Bravo's recent deal the channel has a new owner I would be suprised if they conitune to show after this deal goes through, I hope not on extreme as the sd picture quality is awful.
|
Chuck was a fav to get axed they are near the season end in the US or have just ended but they got a reprieve about 6 weeks ago and are to make 1 more season i wouldn't expect it to go past the next season.
|
|
|
06-06-2010, 05:56
|
#179
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West London
Services: V.I.P
Posts: 1,271
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
People were saying that about season three and that the 13 episode order would be the last bit if Chuck we got. Chuck certainly seems to be the little show that could.
|
|
|
06-06-2010, 07:50
|
#180
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
Services: Virgin Media VIP 2 V+HD boxes , XL BB, XL Phone and Mobiles x2
Posts: 180
|
Re: Acquisition by Sky of Virgin Media Television
Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli
I'd be happy if Comedy Central went widescreen, let alone HD - have you watched season 4 of 30 Rock? Ridiculous...and that massive DOG in the corner doesn't help : 
|
Best Comedy on tv right now, I agree looks silly in 4.3 as it was made in 16.9 the Office is like this too, glad CC are showing it and bringing it upto date as Five was years behind and put it on at all hours, but at least it was widescreen on Five.
---------- Post added at 08:41 ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous
People were saying that about season three and that the 13 episode order would be the last bit if Chuck we got. Chuck certainly seems to be the little show that could.
|
Season 4 will be the end I am sure, just gotta hope Yvonne Starhovski gets some more roles when the inevitable happens.
---------- Post added at 08:50 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------
I have emailed Comedy Central to ask about 16.9 or HD, will post reply on Coming Soon thread when it arrives.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:14.
|