Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wired up PC / connect laptop ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wired up PC / connect laptop ?

Old 05-02-2010, 09:52   #1
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Question wired up PC / connect laptop ?

Sorry I really am not sure how to put over what I hope to do.

I have a PC with modem . My granddaughter has now got herself a lap top with wireless internet. what is the simplest way she could get on the net via my PC, I connect my Wii with a dongle(?) . Any like that for a lap top?
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2010, 09:56   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: wired up PC / connect laptop ?

Most modern laptops will have wireless network cards in built.

If you are connecting your Wii using a dongle then presumably you have a wireless router in your house.

The laptop should have wizards to enable you to set up the wireless on it. You'll need to know the name of your wireless network, and the passkey (password) for your router's connection.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:38   #3
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

It's actually ar$e for elbow with the wii. The Wii doesn't need a dongle to connect wirelessly but it does need a dongle (usb network adaptor) to connect by cable.

Do you plug your Wii into a router, or is it permanently plugged into a router?

What make/model of router is it you have?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:08   #4
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
It's actually ar$e for elbow with the wii. The Wii doesn't need a dongle to connect wirelessly but it does need a dongle (usb network adaptor) to connect by cable.

Do you plug your Wii into a router, or is it permanently plugged into a router?

What make/model of router is it you have?
Sorry if the name is wrong ( it looks like a dongle) but what I use is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Access-Point-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000BVAPFI/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1265370317&sr =8-15

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Most modern laptops will have wireless network cards in built.

If you are connecting your Wii using a dongle then presumably you have a wireless router in your house.
Sorry just noticed this the short answeris No I don t it, "plugs" in to a usb point.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:23   #5
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

I haven't came across one of these before but a quick google suggests that it utilises a proprietary authentication system, so you're unlikely to be able to connect anything but ds' or wiis.

Presumably you purchased one of these because you haven't got wireless router.

There are suggestions that there are ways of modifying drivers so that it acts as a standard adaptor but even if this is the case you would only be able to connect one device at a time.

You might be better investing in a wireless router and recouping some/most of the money on ebay as the adaptor you have is now discontinued.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:26   #6
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

If you don't mind sharing the connection through your PC - as the Wii does - you could get a USB Wireless adapter and get her connected in 'Ad-Hoc' computer-computer mode. It would mean enabling Internet Connection Sharing on you PC and it's not a great solution but it only requires a small bit of hardware.
Much better would be buying a Wireless Cable Router - easier to setup, more reliable but more expensive.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:58   #7
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
If you don't mind sharing the connection through your PC - as the Wii does - you could get a USB Wireless adapter and get her connected in 'Ad-Hoc' computer-computer mode. It would mean enabling Internet Connection Sharing on you PC and it's not a great solution but it only requires a small bit of hardware.
Thank you for the odd times it would be required that should fit the bill. Tried googling but ended up as puzzled as before. Could you please point me in the right direction. many thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 14:02   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

The wireless adaptor suggested by Aragorn is a possibility but may be a fiddle to set up. As you will potentiall have three different devices in your house, your computer, Wii and the new laptop, it makes sense to do this properly. Get a wireless router. They aren't especially expensive, and can be set up fairly simply. Best advantage is if you just want to use the Wii, or the laptop, your computer would not have to be on. You'd be able to use the inbuilt wireless adaptor on your Wii too, ditching that USB dongle.

Virgin Media will supply a router, or alternatively they can be bought from any decent computer store. You need to ensure it is compatible with cable (no integral ADSL modem), but for your needs i suspect you only need "g" standard wireless.

Not a recommendation for PC world but something like:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid= or http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid= should do the job.
Old 05-02-2010, 15:40   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Thank you guys,

As I had no need for wireless I was hoping to find an almost plug & play way of getting lap top on the net ( as I have for the Wii),for the odd times she might need it.
She is wireless in her own home,just she brings it down to me & then cant use it as she likes
It would be only one in use at any time, hence no real confilct of interest.
If she was on the lap top,then every thing else would not be used ( brought Wii for her to use when with me!!)
. I stopped playing games when Pac man "died", lord was I good at it back in the 70`s !!! LOL

The only one game I (for me) have is the simpsons on PC & I am rubbish at that! Picked it up a a car boot sale for a £1. Last of the big spenders.
Old 05-02-2010, 15:51   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

If it really is a case that she is only going to be using the laptop when nothing else is in use, and that is occasionally too, then why not simply connect the modem direct to the laptop (laptop should have a wired network port). This is the zero cost option

Power off modem, remove the ethernet cable from back of computer and plug into laptop. Power up modem, wait a few seconds then power up laptop. Reverse procedure when she leaves.
Old 05-02-2010, 16:47   #11
LondonRoad
Inactive

Good suggestions from Rob.

You could also download the internet channel onto the wii if it's just general web surfing she wants to do.
Old 05-02-2010, 19:25   #12
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

this might seem obvious but, can't she just use your pc, she might have to download some extra programmes(or is it program??)like messenger etc but that would solve all the problems
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 20:46   #13
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

Isn't it strange, that the simplest solutions are sometimes the least obvious. Rob's last post) :-) (not forgetting Scrubbs)
I'm like that myself sometimes. I'll faff about making life difficult for myself doing things the long way round. Then another pair of eyes looks at at it......................
ho hum!
moiraf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:23   #14
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubbs View Post
this might seem obvious but, can't she just use your pc, she might have to download some extra programmes(or is it program??)like messenger etc but that would solve all the problems
Why she even wanted it is a puzzle to me! PC at mine & at her parents. KIDS !

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If it really is a case that she is only going to be using the laptop when nothing else is in use, and that is occasionally too, then why not simply connect the modem direct to the laptop (laptop should have a wired network port). This is the zero cost option .
Only possible reason not to go down this route is location- It suits me - but its in my office, Guess she wants to be in the lounge

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
Good suggestions from Rob.

You could also download the internet channel onto the wii if it's just general web surfing she wants to do.

Have got it thanks but never use it !, If Wii goes to a other room then using it for I player is also an option. Again never have bothered.

Thanks again guys if she wants to use her laptop for what ever reason, she can be wired. Look out for bumps on head scratched hands etc. I tend to hide wired sockets etc

Once again thanks for all your help.