Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wrestling

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wrestling
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 17:53   #16
Gary L
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
grannies used to smack the hell out of any and every one in striking distance it was a great nights entertainment
"Can I have some pop now nan?" she'd grab you and sit on you till the end of the program
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2009, 17:55   #17
lucy7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,103
lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age
Re: Wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Clearly faked... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDouERQ7EmE

So how do you fake falling almost 30 feet through a wooden table (which has tv monitors on it) and on to a concrete floor?



Was it a rubber mat, painted to look like concerete Russ???


JOKE!

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
I've broken my nose, dislocated my shoulder, strained my knee ligament and had a compressed disk in my spine, all from wrestling. Fake you say? The outcomes are predetermined but the injuries are very real.


Are you still a good looker though, with all those injuries???
lucy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 17:56   #18
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,593
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy7 View Post
Gosh, I must be older than I think, I can remember them too, and Mick Macmanus, the one who dyed his hair black all the time.

I loved the Saturday afternoon shows ages ago, I was a kid then, but have memories watching it with my Dad.
old cauliflower lugs --oh nostalgia
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:04   #19
Gary L
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy7 View Post
Gosh, I must be older than I think, I can remember them too, and Mick Macmanus, the one who dyed his hair black all the time.
You are 48. how old did you think you was?

who was the one who didn't like getting his hair messed up?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:09   #20
lucy7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,103
lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age
Re: Wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
You are 48. how old did you think you was?

who was the one who didn't like getting his hair messed up?



48 is my pretend age, I am really 72!!!



Was it Tally Ho Keye?
Or possibly Gay Vince Randall?
lucy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:20   #21
Gary L
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy7 View Post
48 is my pretend age, I am really 72!!!
And you're grey and not blonde?

Quote:
Or possibly Gay Vince Randall?
That was him.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:23   #22
lucy7
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,103
lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age
Re: Wrestling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
And you're grey and not blonde?



That was him.

Purple rinse coming my way!!

I love getting things right (gay vince!) took me a long hard thought though!


With age comes wisdom....................... sometimes!!!! NOT
lucy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:26   #23
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Wrestling

I posted this in a similar thread a year or 2 ago and it's still as applicable to this day...(written by a mate of mine)...

Quote:
Professional Wrestling – The Lost Artform

During the holiday season I took my girlfriend to see Swan Lake on Ice by the Imperial Ice Stars and I marvelled. I marvelled at the fantastic arena, amazing production and the talented performers who attempted to portray the classic Swan Lake story whilst not actually being able to use words to convey exactly what was happening. Being an entertainer myself, I could appreciate what went into making this magical event happen.

I then imagined how different it would all be if the same event was conducted as a wrestling event. When one of the male skaters dropped one of the female skaters accidentally, the crowd that night were quite rightly concerned for her well being. At a wrestling event, the crowed would have been busy chanting, “You screwed up! You screwed up!” When the impressive sword fight occurred and the bad guy was stabbed with the sword, the crowd were on the edge of their seat. If it was a wrestling crowd, the conversations would have been about how, “he didn’t really stab him.” Welcome to the backwards world of professional wrestling, the most unfairly stigmatised performance art in Britain.

I’ve been involved in the world of Professional Wrestling for coming on two years now which is virtually no time at all, however, in that short space of time I’ve had some wonderful experiences, travelling to England and Ireland along with performing in front of Welsh fans in Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil and Abertillery. This has been able to give me an eye into the business to experience what I love to term “wrestlophobia” first hand. And I’ll give you an example.

Celtic Wrestling is looking to set up a new training school in Cardiff so I came up with the idea of trying to obtain funding. I’m not only committed to giving what I can for Welsh Wrestling now but for future generations too. First thing I did was contact the Sports Council for Wales. They weren’t interested on the basis that they would only fund schemes that meant people could end up competing at events like the Olympics. Which I can understand. I then contacted the Arts Council for Wales. The conversation was hilarious. First off she said we should be speaking to the Sports Council. I explained their opinion and as we are entertainment, we should be covered under the Arts Council.

She explained that entertainment had nothing to do with performance art. I asked, “well aren’t music, dance and acting all forms of both performance art and entertainment?” That stumped her. However, it did little to change anything. They wouldn’t even allow me to send in evidence of why wrestling is performance art. They just weren’t interested. They were totally and inexplicably “wrestlophobic.”

Refusing to be defeated, I contacted a Welsh Assembly member who on the website stated she had interests in both Performance Art and Sports. I didn’t really expect a response, however, she did e-mail back saying she had no idea how to advise me and that she’d make enquiries. Sadly that’s as far as things went. I’d like to think she wasn’t overcome with “wrestleophobia” after all she is a busy woman and I thank her for making more effort then most.
Once you’ve read the above you can appreciate what we’re up against. One of my ex-girlfriends moved to Liverpool to sit a degree in Dancing. Where’s the degree in professional wrestling? That’s right, one doesn’t exist. I hope other people in the entertainment business appreciate what they have!

Despite what the Arts Council for Wales thinks, wrestling is such a complex artform. We have to perform to the levels of a dancer, act like an…actor and even music is highly important. If you’ve ever watched wrestling then when you see a wrestler come out he/she will have his/her own music that you instantly relate to and there are times when the hair on the back of your neck can stand up when you hear the music of your hero coming to save the day. I know because I’ve experienced it. And that’s why I love wrestling. And that’s why I love being a wrestler.

Thing is, despite all of the problems facing wrestling, fans in Wales and indeed the UK have probably never had it so good. British Wrestlers are getting so good that they are applying their trade over in Northern America. Paul Birchill, Steven Regal and others are working for the WWE, little Spud is showing what he’s got in TNA and closer to home, Celtic Wrestling stars Matt Vaughn and Steven Garter have just flown off to Canada to train with ex-WWE star Lance Storm with Chris Petherwick and Rebecca James soon to follow. Caiman and Tyler Browne are also representing us in Irish Promotion “Irish Whiplash Wrestling.”

In Wales there are four different promotions all providing top class entertainment. Of course I’d rather see you at a Celtic Wrestling show but then I am hugely biased! At Celtic we have group of hardworking individuals of varying ages who go out on virtually a weekly basis to entertain the general public, all you have to do is turn up and appreciate what’s on offer. Don’t look at it with the attitude that, “this isn’t real” because if you think like that then I’ve got news for you. King Kong was a computer generate graphic, there are no Pirates in the Caribbean and Pauline Fowler is an actress who isn’t really dead. Get my point? And don’t tell me it doesn’t hurt, I’m covered in bruises head to toe on a weekly basis.

Oh and one more thing that any self respecting wrestler should tell you. Don’t try this at home
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:19.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum