Replacement modem charge?
16-03-2009, 10:16
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Belfast
Services: Broadband 50Mb,
TV M,
Phone L,
SH2
Posts: 20
|
Replacement modem charge?
Hi, I have a Terayon TJ210 which I bought in 2001 when I joined NTL. I'm on 2MB and know this modem won't support the coming upgrade to 10MB. I would like to buy a replacement modem from Virgin as doing this has saved me money since 2001 (when you were charged extra for renting a modem) but I've read in this forum that nowadays you don't buy modems from Virgin anymore, you just rent them and that the rental is included in the charges. If so, does that mean if I ask for a replacement modem my monthly charge will only go up by £2, and I won't need to pay for it?
|
|
|
16-03-2009, 10:26
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: At My Desk
Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
Posts: 3,009
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
You won't be charged anything to replace your modem VM are doing this free.
|
|
|
16-03-2009, 10:30
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Midlands
Services: V+
TV:XL
Broadband:XL
Telco:XL
Posts: 796
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
Your package cost will increase by £2 with or without the modem replacement.
I'm sure they'd be more than happy to send you a free replacement for it, though.
|
|
|
16-03-2009, 11:25
|
#4
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a world of no buffering!!
Services: Samsung V+ XL TV
XL Phone
30Mb Superhub
Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Posts: 20,915
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrange
Hi, I have a Terayon TJ210 which I bought in 2001 when I joined NTL. I'm on 2MB and know this modem won't support the coming upgrade to 10MB. I would like to buy a replacement modem from Virgin as doing this has saved me money since 2001 (when you were charged extra for renting a modem) but I've read in this forum that nowadays you don't buy modems from Virgin anymore, you just rent them and that the rental is included in the charges. If so, does that mean if I ask for a replacement modem my monthly charge will only go up by £2, and I won't need to pay for it?
|
That is an antique and will be replaced by default plus as it says below it does not support 10Mb.
Terayon Terajet TJ210
From approx October 2001 Customers started to receive the Terayon TJ210. It is Docsis only (so will not work reliably if at all, on the parts of the network that use Eurodocsis). The TJ210 was Ethernet and USB and remained in use until April 2002.
Does not support 10 or 20Mbps Tiers of Service
There are also reports that the TJ210 does not work well in the newer 256QAM environment under circusmstances like heavy download.
Information from www.chetnet.co.uk
|
|
|
16-03-2009, 14:41
|
#5
|
|
[CENSORED]
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wolverhampton
Age: 48
Posts: 4,218
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
You won't own the replacement modem they send out, but you are no longer charged extra for renting
__________________
Help save the world from loosers
|
|
|
16-03-2009, 14:55
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Midlands
Services: V+
TV:XL
Broadband:XL
Telco:XL
Posts: 796
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id
You won't own the replacement modem they send out, but you are no longer charged extra for renting
|
And Vm will never ask you to return it anyway. Just don't break it!
|
|
|
16-03-2009, 16:42
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Belfast
Services: Broadband 50Mb,
TV M,
Phone L,
SH2
Posts: 20
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
Thanks for all your replies - and thanks to chuzzlemonkey who is sorting me out with a new modem.
|
|
|
16-03-2009, 17:05
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Midlands
Services: V+
TV:XL
Broadband:XL
Telco:XL
Posts: 796
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
|
|
|
06-04-2009, 10:10
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
I just asked Virgin for a cable modem to get me up to the 10MB speed I should be getting on the Large broadband package and they're charging me £15 just to send it (would have been £30 if an engineer needed to install it). Is this right?!
|
|
|
06-04-2009, 10:14
|
#10
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
Sounds wrong to me. I got mine changed for free.
You should have told them it was not working.
|
|
|
06-04-2009, 10:26
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Sounds wrong to me. I got mine changed for free.
You should have told them it was not working.
|
I only have a STB at the moment… and it did actually stop working (for broadband) last week, but strangely sparked back into life just before an engineer was due to call. He rang up before the appointment and I told him it had started working again, so he said I should just ask Virgin to send me a cable modem to get up to full speed - he never mentioned a charge.
|
|
|
06-04-2009, 10:36
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Newcastle and Horsham
Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M.
Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
Posts: 1,432
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
No, it should be free.
|
|
|
06-04-2009, 10:45
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Swansea
Age: 51
Services: Inhumations, for the right price
Posts: 517
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
If you only have a stb at the moment, you will be sent a quickstart pack, which has a splitter, 2 lengths of coaxial cable, and the modem & psu, the P&P charge for these is £15, but should really have been waived for an exsisting cmr.
|
|
|
06-04-2009, 10:46
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Boy
If you only have a stb at the moment, you will be sent a quickstart pack, which has a splitter, 2 lengths of coaxial cable, and the modem & psu, the P&P charge for these is £15, but should really have been waived for an exsisting cmr.
|
Thanks for the info. I'll give them another call.
|
|
|
07-04-2009, 08:38
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Replacement modem charge?
fyi the terayon tj210 will support 10mbit just fine. I was using it for however long 10mbit was round (1 year?) between going from 3mbit, to 10 and then to 20mbit when it was released. I only had to get the new modem when 20mbit came out because the Terayon wouldnt do much over 11mbit.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28.
|