Strong Dogmatic View points!
04-03-2009, 22:44
|
#31
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
it's just a shame some people are so narrow minded.
but again, once they are presented with a logical argument from which they cannot wriggle free from (because suddenly they see that what they are saying is actually logically flawed), they start getting personal, disappear or just refuse to acknowledge what you are saying outright and continue to rant at you. it's crazy. still, it must mean that every day is an adventure for them, battling their way past logic all day, every day must be very tiring.
|
To be honest I get bored of logic chopping pretty quickly..Having to do it on a daily basis with teenagers is very wearing and it soon loses it's charm..
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
04-03-2009, 22:50
|
#32
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,103
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
The dogmatic ones that are problematic......I liked that, very much!
............... .................... ....................
We all have our right to our own opinions of course, it is the way we put then over to others on forums that sometimes becomes a problem.
I personally like it when something has been reasoned well, and my own opinon has then been changed with sound reasoning and fact, that has been put over in a debate form on a forum,
Sometimes it can be quite refreshing to realise you are wrong!
Not that it happens to me that much of course! 
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 08:46
|
#33
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
Being dogmatic does not in itself make you wrong. Being a biggot does not make you wrong. I will fight my corner until someone has given me enough evidence (or I find myself) to prove that my view is incorrect. imo there is nothing wrong in standing by what you think is correct others are bound to disagree but they could be wrong also. Quite often you find opposing sides just as bad as each other but only one side tends to get blamed for bad behaviour. As I said I will stand up for my view until either I prove im correct im proven wrong or im threatened with an infraction to shut me up
|
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 08:49
|
#34
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Posts: 12,384
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
I think that quite often it's not people's views that get them into trouble so much as the way that they choose to express them, the fact that they just don't know when to shut up, or that they can't seem to find a way to express them in an adult manner without feeling the need to get sly little digs in at the expense of other Members.
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 08:50
|
#35
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,574
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
To be honest I get bored of logic chopping pretty quickly..Having to do it on a daily basis with teenagers is very wearing and it soon loses it's charm.. 
|
And yet you volunteered for team duties here ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
it's just a shame some people are so narrow minded.
but again, once they are presented with a logical argument from which they cannot wriggle free from (because suddenly they see that what they are saying is actually logically flawed), they start getting personal, disappear or just refuse to acknowledge what you are saying outright and continue to rant at you. it's crazy. still, it must mean that every day is an adventure for them, battling their way past logic all day, every day must be very tiring.
|
Logical argument is one of the things I most love about this place and one of the reasons I really miss Graham. I frequently disagreed with his views but sparring with him taught me a lot about constructing a logical argument.
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:07
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Posts: 12,384
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
I think that in forums generally (he says, trying to move away from an increasingly rapdily opening chasm and get things back on track before anybody is given an excuse to get all excited about anything - little hint there for everybody  ) you are always going to get a few people that just will not walk away from an argument.
I use the word argument rather than discussion here, because by the time you reach the point where a discussion becomes that heated that you need to consider walking away there's really no other word for it.
I'll quite happy state my case, and fight my corner, to a point. You have to realise though that occasionally you're going to be discussing things with someone that (for whatever reason) just will not listen to reason, just will not even conceed any other point of view than their own, and will not allow themselves to be flexible/moveable in any way. At that point the whole point of the discussion ends, because all that happens is that you find yourself repeating the same points over and over and over and over and over.....
What you need to ask yourself at that point is this: is it really worth it?
Some people seem to think that they need to 'win' every single discussion, and that blinds them to the fact that they're either a) banging their head against someone that's not interested in any point of view other than their own, or b) being baited by someone who's only interest is to create tension and disagreement and then watch the trouble escalate.
I just can't be bothered. Once I've said my piece and then realised that I'm wasting my time I'll walk away. There's little point in wasting my time on either of the above categories of people, because frankly my time's a lot more valuable than that.
There are some people ( generally speaking, on many forums, and pointing the finger at nobody in particular) that do themselves no favours by the way that they act. I understand that they want to get their point across, and I understand that they don't want to be seen to back down/lose face, and I understand that they're prepared to stand up and argue for what they believe - but they need to understand that sometimes discretion really is the better part of valour, and learn when to just walk away.
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:10
|
#37
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
I admit a charector flaw in me is if I believe I am correct and I have someone telling me I am not correct why should I back down when the other person refuses to? There is a saying thats very true indeed and that is " the more crap you take the more crap you get" edited it slightly as to not hit the filter
I admit I am a bigot when I think I am right I will not change my view until someone proves me wrong. When I prove myself wrong or someone else proves me wrong I put my hands up and say I am wrong and my view will change not until
|
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:16
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Posts: 12,384
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
why should I back down when the other person refuses to?
|
.....because ( generally speaking) sometimes it's less important to be right then it is to be better than the next person. If you stop arguing you're not admitting defeat, or that you were wrong, you're just stopping arguing..... simples
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:35
|
#39
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
then the other person should stop and want to be better than me
|
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:39
|
#40
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Posts: 12,384
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb
then the other person should stop and want to be better than me 
|
Ah, but perhaps the other people don't care about who's better, perhaps they're only interested in causing trouble/arguments, perhaps they're even more stubborn than you are
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:41
|
#41
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
You have seen a who I argue with aint ya lol lol
|
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:45
|
#42
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,103
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
I just want to say thanks for all the responses, the funny and the serious ones.
It seems to me that it takes all sort of folk to make a forum, if we were all the same and thought the same, how boring a place like this would be. In reflection, I think I quite like the odd thread that has a bit of spice in it.
That was my first thread on here, so the number of responses was great. I am now thinking of a topic for my second one..............
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:49
|
#43
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
TBH it would not bother me if this place was just a tech support forum as thats what I do mostly anyway. The fact there is lifestyle and current affairs means all the things thats the old adage says gets discussed(never discuss religion and politics) because by the nature there is always apposing sides that will never agree. Throw in with that news that shows how crap life and people can be and you have a lot of emotive issues all under one roof
|
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:50
|
#44
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy7
That was my first thread on here, so the number of responses was great. I am now thinking of a topic for my second one..............
|
If you want to see some really dogmatic postings, make your next title "What do you really think of Muslims, Immigrants and Religion"
....but seriously....for the sake of us poor admins...please don't
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
|
|
|
05-03-2009, 09:53
|
#45
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Strong Dogmatic View points!
I would love an open forum where I could honestly post my views on those subjects. I know places exist but they are racist and I am not going to or want to be involved with those
|
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:54.
|