05-06-2007, 03:00
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 34
Posts: 14
|
AOL and My Mom
My mom has been having problems for years with AOL and she wants me to fix it somehow, even though all I have to say is to stop using AOL, but she won't let go of it regardless of what I say. Currently she's having the problem of AOL freezing all the time (pfft, like that hasn't been happening for all these years) and all I have to say is to stop using it, which makes her more irritable than just AOL. Please someone (if it's at all possible to be true) who has AOL please help!... scratch that, ANYONE AT ALL who can help, please reply!
|
|
|
05-06-2007, 05:08
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex innit
Age: 52
Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL
BT Telephone
Posts: 15,735
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Have you tried re-installing the AOL software? Also check your task manager (if running XP or above) and see if any processes are running out of control.
|
|
|
14-06-2007, 18:29
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 40
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Have you tried re-installing your mums brain software? Also check your task manager (if running XP or above) and see if any processes are running out of control.
|
FIXXXXEEEEDDDDD!
You need to convince her; AOL BAD, Vandals Good!, The Good, The Bad and The AOL. etc.etc. etc.
Seriously TeamGai, AOL, never ever ever ever ever ever ever.
|
|
|
14-06-2007, 18:38
|
#4
|
|
Guest
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
If its aol broadband just buy her a router and get rid of the aol software off her pc. Aol through a router is the same as any other adsl and its unlimited I believe
|
|
|
|
14-06-2007, 22:37
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Age: 34
Posts: 14
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
We don't have AOL broadband, we have Qwest DSL and she's still using AOL. She won't get rid of it because it's what we used back when we first were introduced to the computer. My sister had AOL 6.0 and we were amazed at it. Now I've got FireFox and love everything about it. I think the thing she likes about it is that all she has to do is push a button to get her mail and double click on the other side of the screen to IM, and all the while have her Pogo games somehow in between.
There's nothing we can do about her using it. And we got a new update from AOL that is supposed to help with disconnections on AOL 9.0.
|
|
|
15-06-2007, 06:56
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Ok here's a hint, uninstall the AOL software and revert her account to limited user and refuse to ever ever install it again
|
|
|
19-06-2007, 09:36
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London
Posts: 322
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
IMO, she likes using it so let it be. Just remove all the aol features that run on startup.
Depending on the age of your pc, 9.0 might be a bit heavy on resources. track down 8.0 or 7.0 (can't remember which one)-thats wat i was using on BB, back in the days when i didn't know much.
A silly question, u r using AOL 9.0 on a Quest DSL, ryt? So whats the deal about disconnections??
Also, don't bother removing it. And especially dnt mention it. Try setting up aol as the homepage for firefox. Tell your mom to try out firefox, see how lovely it is, and that you just discovered the browser yourself. or maybe IE...sth with a fancy interface like AOL really!
|
|
|
20-06-2007, 15:56
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CH6
Age: 35
Services: VM 20Mb BB
Posts: 1,375
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Don't you mean Mum
|
|
|
20-06-2007, 16:16
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirpingalot
Don't you mean Mum 
|
That's what I was wondering, but I didn't question it, for all I know he COULD be American
|
|
|
24-06-2007, 09:22
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: UK
Services: Virgin Tv.
Posts: 14
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
AOL? God, my parents use AOL and I am forced to use it. It is so rubbish. Some things don't display correct, it does crash sometimes, I just hate it.
|
|
|
24-06-2007, 09:31
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 41
Services: FreeSat+
Tivo
V-Box
VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,365
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Heh, you don't HAVE to use their software to actually browse the web whilst connected to AOL, you could use normal IE, Firefox, Opera, anything.
|
|
|
28-06-2007, 09:27
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 376
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
I always thought AOL meant 'Always Off Line'
I knew it was dodgy 7 years ago and nowts changed (so it seems, I don't chase it up for any reason - no need *lol*)
|
|
|
28-06-2007, 13:42
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CH6
Age: 35
Services: VM 20Mb BB
Posts: 1,375
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_abi
I always thought AOL meant 'Always Off Line'
I knew it was dodgy 7 years ago and nowts changed (so it seems, I don't chase it up for any reason - no need *lol*)

|
>.<
|
|
|
29-06-2007, 10:15
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Manchester
Age: 79
Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
Posts: 1,901
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGai
My mom has been having problems for years with AOL and she wants me to fix it somehow, even though all I have to say is to stop using AOL, but she won't let go of it regardless of what I say. Currently she's having the problem of AOL freezing all the time (pfft, like that hasn't been happening for all these years) and all I have to say is to stop using it, which makes her more irritable than just AOL. Please someone (if it's at all possible to be true) who has AOL please help!... scratch that, ANYONE AT ALL who can help, please reply!
|
Have you checked:-
a) that all cables are connected properly?
b) that her computer firewall grants internet access to the AOL software?
c) that there is no other factor interfering with the connection to the internet?
Hope this helps.
|
|
|
08-07-2007, 20:20
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,898
|
Re: AOL and My Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
Heh, you don't HAVE to use their software to actually browse the web whilst connected to AOL, you could use normal IE, Firefox, Opera, anything.
|
If its AOL broadband in the UK you don't have to use their software at all.
Just need either a router or a PPoE driver for the USB modem
Just create a new dialup connection set to dial 0,38 (might be diff if your on LLU)
user name would be screenname@aol.com (i think, might be.co.uk)
password would be your password
I did this on my laptop once using a USB adsl modem to connect it to my mates AOL broadband so i know it does work.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:55.
|