Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shocking Service From Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 11:02   #31
Incomplete
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incomplete View Post
4-6Mbit seems a reasonable guesstimate. 2.61km as crow flies, around 4km of cable length.

Yeah 6Mbit.
Incomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2007, 14:01   #32
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incomplete View Post
Loop loss averages 10dB / km. Another 3dB or so is added by CPE equipment. I'm spot on for that, 1.4km line, 17dB downstream attenuation.

---------- Post added at 08:19 ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 ----------



Ewww Talk Talk
Who states the average is 10db loss per km? I have seen it quoted by mrsaffron on adslguide but I do not just use my experience I use everyone who reports theirs. Most people who report their stats and line length have a higher then 10db loss per km and I think that is either a made up figure or miscalculated.

I stand by what I said based on reported figures the average loop loss is considerably above 10db per km most likely due to poor quality cabling. For some people its over 20db per km so I have not based on high end and my own line is actually 17db loss per km.

I would use long lines as a better comparison.

My sisters line is 0.8 real length 0.3 straight and is also 17db attenuation.
Friends line is 4.9 real length 4.4 straight and is 48 db attenuation (so almost 10db loss per km)
Another friend is 1.5 real length and has 39 db attenuation
Various people have reported their attenuation and know their actual line lengths and all are around 15 per km loop loss.

This 10db I suspect is based on specs for good quality new copper which doesnt apply to most of BTs local loop.

I can see now why you so happy about BTs loops you are one of the lucky 25% with a short line, and many of these take the I am alright Jack attitude in that because they have good specs they assume all is good.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 16:19   #33
Incomplete
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media

BT use a cable model: a telephone line of 0.5mm copper, 1km long will loose 10.301 dB at 300kHz.

If you think they are lying about this or are incorrect I'd suggest you contact Ofcom. BT also may want to know as all their advertising of their fixed rate services were based on this assumption.

That or BT may know more than your knowledge based on reading internet forums about their own network.

Regarding your other comments I never said anything about the quality or otherwise of BT's network so all I can say to that is (hate this word but) whatever - I have had the pleasure of troubleshooting a lot of BT copper related issues on DSL lines so I assume nothing.

Anyway sorry to disturb your now cross-thread rant. BT are rubbish, ADSL is rubbish, worst network in the world, crap copper everywhere gone green, BT intentionally make lines longer, etc, etc.

If you want to see crap lines go check out some other countries such as USA and Canada with all overhead loading coiled and bridge tapped gack, or Australia with a fixed very strict distance and very low speed DSL deal.
Incomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 21:51   #34
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incomplete View Post
BT use a cable model: a telephone line of 0.5mm copper, 1km long will loose 10.301 dB at 300kHz.

If you think they are lying about this or are incorrect I'd suggest you contact Ofcom. BT also may want to know as all their advertising of their fixed rate services were based on this assumption.

That or BT may know more than your knowledge based on reading internet forums about their own network.

Regarding your other comments I never said anything about the quality or otherwise of BT's network so all I can say to that is (hate this word but) whatever - I have had the pleasure of troubleshooting a lot of BT copper related issues on DSL lines so I assume nothing.

Anyway sorry to disturb your now cross-thread rant. BT are rubbish, ADSL is rubbish, worst network in the world, crap copper everywhere gone green, BT intentionally make lines longer, etc, etc.

If you want to see crap lines go check out some other countries such as USA and Canada with all overhead loading coiled and bridge tapped gack, or Australia with a fixed very strict distance and very low speed DSL deal.
When and where have BT stated they use 0.5mm copper for all their lines? I have heard from numerous BT employees that the copper used varies from location to location, the unluckiest will have poor aluminium cable and the luckiest will have thicker good quality copper cabling, so straight off when you mention 0.5mm copper cable I am already seeing question marks, what % of lines use 0.5? if no % is defined then thats something else that puts that into dispute. I also suspect specs on paper the ones you have written will generally be worse then real experience due to corrosion and ageing of the copper.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 22:03   #35
on in an hour!
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Age: 62
Services: staff deal
Posts: 1,648
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
When and where have BT stated they use 0.5mm copper for all their lines? I have heard from numerous BT employees that the copper used varies from location to location, the unluckiest will have poor aluminium cable and the luckiest will have thicker good quality copper cabling, so straight off when you mention 0.5mm copper cable I am already seeing question marks, what % of lines use 0.5? if no % is defined then thats something else that puts that into dispute. I also suspect specs on paper the ones you have written will generally be worse then real experience due to corrosion and ageing of the copper.
this ones warming up..niiiccceeee
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 15:21   #36
Incomplete
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
this ones warming up..niiiccceeee
Sorry to disappoint but it's not going to warm up anymore.

I did type a big response then realised how pointless it is dignifying the above with a response. I don't engage in discussion on technical matters with people whose experience is internet forums and who have an agenda as they consider the service this technology supplies them inadequate.
Incomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:38   #37
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
this ones warming up..niiiccceeee
I wont be commenting on this much more dont want to get into a slanging match, I just advise anyone looking into getting into adsl to do your research and try and find out of neighbours what their service is like.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 18:10   #38
jcw00
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 315
jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I just advise anyone looking into getting into adsl to do your research and try and find out of neighbours what their service is like.
Good point.
jcw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:12.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum