Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NAS recommendations?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NAS recommendations?

Old 01-02-2007, 22:29   #1
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
NAS recommendations?

I noticed Network Attached Storage has been coming down in price, so I figures I'd get myself a NAS drive for backup and streaming audio over the network. If I'm correct, I just plug it into the router, and it's accessible over the network, right?

Now for what to get:

Looking at the cheapo options, there's a freecom 250gig at £100 (ebuyer)

Buffalo and Lacie 250G drives come in at around £130 also from ebuyer). There's not much info on the drive that's in it though.

So, I noticed that scan do an icybox enclosure at £45. I presume I can just bung any IDE disk in there? (e.g get a nice 250G Seagate at £55 and be done with it?

Am I overlooking something. Any recommendations?

TIA
Old 02-02-2007, 06:27   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: NAS recommendations?

Freecom = not expandable. Only one drive in unit.
[url=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-014-BF]Buffalo] is the same really, only expandable by USB drive.
Icybox takes PATA drives at FAT32
So really it will depend if you think your storage needs will change in future. If you may need more then why not throw a basic base unit together as a server box?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 09:32   #3
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

To bump an old thread rather than start a new one.

I need a nas - cheapish - but one that doesn't require installing software on each machine - as I think the freecom ones do.

I'm veering towards the icybox, and bunging a drive in there - the fat32 issue doesn't bother me - or has anyone got a better suggestion?

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

any one got one of these?

looks ok - i assume it can be accessed via a windows share or whatever - which is my main concern
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 09:55   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I have the Lacie one described above. The OS the drive runs is actually Lacie's own version of Linux. It also runs Samba and makes the disk available as a Windows share (or you can create your own shares).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 10:30   #5
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

a simple bootup and forget liveCD of FreeNAS is all you really need.
http://www.freenas.org/
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 10:37   #6
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
a simple bootup and forget liveCD of FreeNAS is all you really need.
http://www.freenas.org/
Sadly, that's not a viable option for me at the present - this is really a stop gap measure as I need to place this device in my sons room (2 yrs old) - as this is where the main network router is - until I reorganise the network layout in my house - so I need something small and relatively quiet - when I get it all sorted, I'll move to a proper file server.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

so I don't want to spend too much either
Old 25-04-2007, 10:43   #7
zing_deleted

ive been looking at this http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1182
30 quids looks like it does a fair bit for that price
Old 25-04-2007, 10:43   #8
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

looks like I'm going to go for one of these and one of these - unless someone comes up with a better one soon
Old 25-04-2007, 16:56   #9
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

I use the buffalo one. It is good and you can add another USB HDD to it. It is quiet and if it gets noisey then you crack it open and put some 3in1 on the fan and that fixes the problem.
Fairly quick and you can put multiple partitions / network drives on it, so I have a drive map for iTunes, Photos, Server etc.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote