Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54GS Download Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54GS Download Problems

Old 07-02-2007, 07:16   #1
Ripspark
Inactive

Services: 10mb BB
Ripspark is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys WRT54GS Download Problems

Hi All,

I picked up one of these routers last weekend and everything goes great, apart from my main pc which is connected to the router via a ethernet cable....

if i try to download a large file, say 500mb (WoW patch or BF2 patch for example), it will download fine for a few min's then the WRT54GS 'Wireless' light will switch off and my internet goes dead. The only way for me to get things going is to power down the router......

I have no firewall/anti virus at the moment as my system has only been rebuilt.

can anyone help me?
Ripspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2007, 11:42   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Linksys WRT54GS Download Problems

There is a firewall within the router so that will offer you a degree of protection. You do however need to get antivirus loaded a.s.a.p. Especially if you are downloading from various sources. Can you be absolutely sure that the sites you are visiting are not infected in some way?

As for the large downloads, has your network got anything else running on it during these times? If there is anything trying to upload, you might be saturating your upload bandwidth which is then stalling the router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:44   #3
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Are you downloading it using P2P software by any chance? P2P can have this affect on this router out of the box

If you are P2P'ing then have a read of this page

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/P2p
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 16:05   #4
Ripspark
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

As for the large downloads, has your network got anything else running on it during these times? If there is anything trying to upload, you might be saturating your upload bandwidth which is then stalling the router.
I have only another pc that has a usb wifi adapter....but that is swtched off, its getting stupid, can even update any of my games thru thier own software without the connection dropping...
Old 07-02-2007, 16:08   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

What modem do you have, are you happy that that is OK?

Perhaps the firmware on the router is out of date somehow. Are there any updates on the Linksys site? Although a new router shouldn't have such issues.
Old 07-02-2007, 16:23   #6
Ripspark
Inactive

My modem is a Ntl 250, whch to be honest did have a problem of locking up while surfing (not downloading, just normal surfing) a few weeks ago, but that looked like it fix'ed itself, I am runing netguard again now.
Old 07-02-2007, 21:29   #7
Ripspark
Inactive

Just an update on my problem,

I tried once again to get the offical BF2 update patch from EA games WITH an ethernet cable connected from my pc to the router, my other pc (laptop) with the wifi adapter was turned off. the download was going to take 2 hrs....then I lost internet connection with in 4 mins!

SO.....
I've removed the router and just using the modem connected directly to my pc via ethernet, I was now told the download was going to take 20 mins(!)....

it came down with no problems, so I tried the WoW update, again came down with no problems......

Is my router faulty?
Old 07-02-2007, 21:58   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

There must be some weirdness going on, that the router isn't synchronising properly. It may be the router, but I'd be surprised. However, to avoid faffing about too much you may want to consider returning it as being not fir for purpose.

The only thing I'd suggest looking at is whether there are options to adjust the MTU type setttigs. I think the default is 1500, maybe something different (slightly less) might work better. Might be worth a google to see if there are recommended options, or there might be something mentioned in the manual.
Old 13-02-2007, 07:22   #9
Ripspark
Inactive

Hi All.....

Just to bring this issue up to date, I taken Robs advice (once again, cheers mate!) and returned the router and ended up going for a Belkin N1 kit.....which rocks!

It installed much more smoothly and is runnning perfect!