Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I wanna be an NTL engineer.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I wanna be an NTL engineer.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 08:49   #1
jimboozer
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8
jimboozer is an unknown quantity at this point
I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Hello,

I would like to study to become an Engineer for NTL or Telewest. I am wondering what kind of qualifications are needed and what kind of knowledge you need of telecoms systems? I was told I would need TV experience and RF?? is RF some sort of antenna cable? As you can see I'm not very knowledgeable on TV or telecoms systems and wouldnt mind a pointer where to find info on it.
What does an NTL engineer do on a daily basis anyway?


jimboozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2004, 08:55   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

RF = Radio Frequency

e.g. how signals are transmitted down cable lines (kinda ironic...)

So obviously they want you to know how the cable network works...
I don't know much about where to find the info, but I imagine (know) that there a few HNC's/HND's available from various polytechnics...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:06   #3
Andy E
Inactive
 
Andy E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: High Sea's
Age: 57
Posts: 96
Andy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Andy E
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Speaking as an ex-ntl engineer my advice is dont ......
But if you must try doing a FND in telecoms like this http://www.eaifhe.ac.uk/New%20Course...%20Telecom.htm
Or you could apply for a job as an installer, though most of these are done by sub-contractors, who are overworked and underpaid and treated like *****e by ntl http://www.mcnicholas.co.uk/home/default.htm
There are no real qualifictions needed to be an installer except for a clean driving license, training is done by sending you out with a competent install crew for a few weeks.
"What does an NTL engineer do on a daily basis anyway?"
As little as possible .........


Andy E
ntl pirate
Andy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:32   #4
Escapee
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: This Planet
Posts: 4,028
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy E
Speaking as an ex-ntl engineer my advice is dont ......
But if you must try doing a FND in telecoms like this http://www.eaifhe.ac.uk/New%20Course...%20Telecom.htm
Or you could apply for a job as an installer, though most of these are done by sub-contractors, who are overworked and underpaid and treated like *****e by ntl http://www.mcnicholas.co.uk/home/default.htm
There are no real qualifictions needed to be an installer except for a clean driving license, training is done by sending you out with a competent install crew for a few weeks.
"What does an NTL engineer do on a daily basis anyway?"
As little as possible .........


Andy E
ntl pirate
I understand there could be some openings/opportunities in the Celtic region shortly!
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:41   #5
Peter Litler
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stockport, Cheshire
Services: Virgin Media TV and Broadband
Posts: 51
Peter Litler has a spectacular aura about themPeter Litler has a spectacular aura about themPeter Litler has a spectacular aura about themPeter Litler has a spectacular aura about them
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

There is a training course at North Lincolnshire College for those wishing to learn the technical skills required to enter the cable tv and telecoms industry.
You can obtain a free information pack from:
Cable Television and Telephony Training Services Ltd
300 Skellingthorpe Road
Lincoln
LN6 0EX

Telephone:01522 880900

http://www.cable-training.co.uk
Peter Litler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:53   #6
Andy E
Inactive
 
Andy E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: High Sea's
Age: 57
Posts: 96
Andy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Andy E
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee
I understand there could be some openings/opportunities in the Celtic region shortly!
lo m8
lol
AndyE
ntl pirate
Andy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:57   #7
Marge
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy E
What does an NTL engineer do on a daily basis anyway?"
As little as possible .........
Having just spent the morning with an install guy I'm sorry but he worked his socks off. I think he did a brilliant job and I liked being his little gofer Handy hint for new customers being installed, make sure you move the TV and settees/chairs out of the way so the chap can actually get to the wall to do the install, doing a Mr Shifter when the tech arrives just wastes loads of time
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 13:01   #8
Andy E
Inactive
 
Andy E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: High Sea's
Age: 57
Posts: 96
Andy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enoughAndy E will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Andy E
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
Having just spent the morning with an install guy I'm sorry but he worked his socks off. I think he did a brilliant job and I liked being his little gofer Handy hint for new customers being installed, make sure you move the TV and settees/chairs out of the way so the chap can actually get to the wall to do the install, doing a Mr Shifter when the tech arrives just wastes loads of time
please note the smile at the end of that comment .... it was meant to be a joke ...... I know how hard they work.. I used to be 1

Andy E
ntl pirate
Andy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 13:04   #9
Marge
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy E
please note the smile at the end of that comment .... it was meant to be a joke ...... I know how hard they work.. I used to be 1

Andy E
ntl pirate
I did see it but posted for the benefit of people who think they are just lazy sods (which is what I used to think )
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 13:16   #10
SMHarman
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Services: Cablevision
Posts: 8,305
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
I did see it but posted for the benefit of people who think they are just lazy sods (which is what I used to think )
Was this some kind of work shadowing thing?
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 13:21   #11
Marge
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Was this some kind of work shadowing thing?
Yeah, I asked to do this to get an idea of how things are done on installs, opened my eyes
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 20:17   #12
the jackel
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere in ntl
Posts: 42
the jackel is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee
I understand there could be some openings/opportunities in the Celtic region shortly!
looking at the Jobs page on the intranet there a quite a few tech jobs advertised around the country!
the jackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 22:28   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive
 
MovedGoalPosts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
Yeah, I asked to do this to get an idea of how things are done on installs, opened my eyes
For the better or worse? Or perhaps that would be saying too much
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 23:01   #14
Marge
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts
For the better or worse? Or perhaps that would be saying too much
Has put the lads in a better light
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:32   #15
Escapee
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: This Planet
Posts: 4,028
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Re: I wanna be an NTL engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jackel
looking at the Jobs page on the intranet there a quite a few tech jobs advertised around the country!
I dont think I would fancy being a service or network tech at ntl these days, I guess it must be difficult completing eleven customer calls a day in 8 hours.
These calls can also be spread over quite a large are, one of my old collegues from ntl said one tech was starting in Newport, 2 calls in Cwmbran, 2 calls in Penarth and then 2 calls in Barry, If you know the area you will no doubt be shocked that ntl think thats possible.


After that he would then have to call in for his afternoon calls

Its all apparently Quota driven and customers are getting repeat calls because there is just no time to fix the faults the first time around.
The amount of techs off sick in that area are also adding extra pressure to the ones still in work.
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:36.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum