Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-07-2004, 17:56   #331
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
Most of ntl's problems are due to them not knowing their arse from their elbow. And a major lack of communication in the company, which is quite ironic.
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2004, 17:56   #332
LostintheNW
Inactive

Services: Plenty thanks
LostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation eraLostintheNW has entered a golden reputation era

Just called CS about changing my box and its due to be done on the 10th, I aksed when Manchester is due to be upgraded and she confirmed the 2nd of August, and then rushed through the order for my new Samsung
Old 30-07-2004, 18:05   #333
badnbusy
Inactive

badnbusy will become famous soon enoughbadnbusy will become famous soon enoughbadnbusy will become famous soon enough

so the morning of 2nd Aug, eg early hours?
Old 30-07-2004, 18:06   #334
BIGZIPZ
Inactive

BIGZIPZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Im gonna call them now and ask about my new STB, which department do I want to talk to on the menu thing? I'm trying to get a new box for the 1.5Mb service. My black pace one will not cut it the letter said.

I hate calling CS :/
Old 30-07-2004, 18:09   #335
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

can anyone tell me if docsdiag reports a different config filename after the upgrade or does it stay the same
Old 30-07-2004, 18:26   #336
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze age
Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Kliro

Im in Manchester STB, and I'm still on 150K
Old 30-07-2004, 18:31   #337
td444
Inactive

td444 is on a distinguished roadtd444 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliro
Heh I guess its just because every topic seems to contain some reference to it, and I suppose it would be annoying to be sent letters for a service advertised as 24/7, but I just dont get how people can use a gig everyday for legit purposes
Easily - one little sister , one broadband plus subscription, lots of adverts and media on TV, visits to nike.com ...... That'll easily do a gig!

If you cant see people using 1gbyte+ legally, you have some insight issues :-D
Old 30-07-2004, 18:48   #338
badnbusy
Inactive

badnbusy will become famous soon enoughbadnbusy will become famous soon enoughbadnbusy will become famous soon enough

I listen to Virgin radio online. 128kbps stream which = 14kb/s.

14k x 60 seconds = 840kb/min

840k x 60 minutes = 50.4mb/hour

50.4m x 24 hours = 1.2gb/day.

I leave it on 24/7 as I dont see the point in using up more electric with my radio, as my PC is always on.

I could turn it off at night yes, but music helps me get to sleep faster, and the PC is in my room, so i leave it on but turn it down

(Havent been out much lately :P)

So thats my gig a day gone without even browsing or emails. Am i using it excessively?

I dont think so
Old 30-07-2004, 19:08   #339
DieDieMyDarling
Inactive

Services: 10 mb NTL Broadband, Sky TV (full package).
DieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of lightDieDieMyDarling is a glorious beacon of light

Using up 1GB a day is very easy. If you are on a 1mb service you tend to download quite large files. Be they game demo's, movie trailers, video tutorials for certain programs, software demo's. Then as mentioned above there is online radio AND online TV. Then there's all the spam mail that ntl don't pick up (ALL of the spam mail), i'm getting about 300 spam mails a day to one of my accounts. Newsgroups (if you can ever get them to work). Online gaming.

2 game demo's and a few hours listening to radio online, and you've passed 1GB.

Keeping on topic though, still no upgrade here in Belfast.
Old 30-07-2004, 19:17   #340
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age

Heh I guess there is reason to complain then,

has everyone else in Manchester got an upgrade? because I havnt
Old 30-07-2004, 19:19   #341
td444
Inactive

td444 is on a distinguished roadtd444 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnbusy
I listen to Virgin radio online. 128kbps stream which = 14kb/s.

14k x 60 seconds = 840kb/min

840k x 60 minutes = 50.4mb/hour

50.4m x 24 hours = 1.2gb/day.

I leave it on 24/7 as I dont see the point in using up more electric with my radio, as my PC is always on.

I could turn it off at night yes, but music helps me get to sleep faster, and the PC is in my room, so i leave it on but turn it down

(Havent been out much lately :P)

So thats my gig a day gone without even browsing or emails. Am i using it excessively?

I dont think so
Actually 128/8 = 16kbytes/s , multiply everything by 16/14 and thats the real usage , all legal ofcourse :-)
Old 30-07-2004, 19:30   #342
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

have you tried rebooting your modem
Old 30-07-2004, 19:31   #343
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

no but then I haven't seen anything "official" even confirming the dates of the upgrade
Old 30-07-2004, 19:33   #344
TheShadow
Inactive

Services: NTL Digital / NTL 3Mbit
TheShadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Because you get internet through a STB (Set Top Box), and since NTL still need to deliver new STBs to handle 1.5Mb; they can't upgrade the speed untill they've delivered the boxes to the people who need 'em.

BTW - Is it just the folks like me on 1Mb that are getting the new Samsung STBs, or is it everyone with cable internet (whether it be 300-750k) through an old Pace STB?

I know the old Pace box can handle speeds under 1Mb, but I'm just wondering.
Old 30-07-2004, 19:35   #345
Kliro
Inactive

Im going to reset when theres noone watching the tv
Closed Thread