20-04-2004, 16:39
|
#31
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Yay, I passed!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Debsy42
I'm qualified to tie people up in bandages, any volunteers ???
|
Yes!
Actually, I am qualified to tie people up as well. Great being a first aider..
Jerrek, Congratulation. St John's Ambulance is a worthy organisation. I am sure you will enjoy it.
|
|
|
02-07-2004, 09:53
|
#32
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yorks
Age: 59
Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Posts: 2,332
|
Re: Yay, I passed!
Defining exactly what a paramedic is, is tricky as there is so much varience, even within countries. In the UK a paramedic in Newcastle for eg can give a certain drug that the ones in North Yorkshire can't.
The training is different lengths and the assessments vary.
When I did my training in the 90s it was over 8 weeks in the classroom and you trained over 2 years on the job with regular assessments from A&E consultants and Anaesthetists. Very intensive and demanding.
The medical knowledge is much more detailed than nursing and the pay is only marginally higher than a basic ambulance technician (QAT/EMT). About £1000 more....
Jerrek what sort of training have you had? I wonder if your training is akin the QAT/EMT over here? You mention that you can shove tubes down throats. What tubes? Endotracheal tubes, Oropharyngeal or nasogastric airways.
How long was it?
|
|
|
05-07-2004, 15:42
|
#33
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yorks
Age: 59
Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Posts: 2,332
|
Re: Yay, I passed!
Jerrek?
|
|
|
05-07-2004, 15:46
|
#34
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Stoke-On-Heaven
Age: 40
Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Posts: 1,758
|
Re: Yay, I passed!
Probably still recovering from yesterday
|
|
|
05-07-2004, 19:47
|
#35
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Yay, I passed!
Congratulations !!!
Have a drink on me.
|
|
|
05-07-2004, 20:03
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
|
Re: Yay, I passed!
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Salu
Defining exactly what a paramedic is, is tricky as there is so much varience, even within countries. In the UK a paramedic in Newcastle for eg can give a certain drug that the ones in North Yorkshire can't.
The training is different lengths and the assessments vary.
When I did my training in the 90s it was over 8 weeks in the classroom and you trained over 2 years on the job with regular assessments from A&E consultants and Anaesthetists. Very intensive and demanding.
The medical knowledge is much more detailed than nursing and the pay is only marginally higher than a basic ambulance technician (QAT/EMT). About £1000 more....
Jerrek what sort of training have you had? I wonder if your training is akin the QAT/EMT over here? You mention that you can shove tubes down throats. What tubes? Endotracheal tubes, Oropharyngeal or nasogastric airways.
How long was it?
|
Hmm, I have:
- standard first aid [1 day]
- "C" level CPR (adults, children, and infants) [1 day]
- wilderness first aid [4 days]
- marine first aid [1 day]
- AED [1 day]
- WHMIS [1 day]
- Medical Responder Level I [5 days]
There is no clear definition of paramedic. I'm just a volunteer one. The fulltime paramedics usually have a 2-year diploma [which I don't have] in emergency services.
|
|
|
06-07-2004, 09:22
|
#37
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yorks
Age: 59
Services: VM TV package. VM phone and 200MB internet & slow Tivo
Posts: 2,332
|
Re: Yay, I passed!
wilderness first aid sounds interesting....
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:36.
|