29-06-2004, 18:37
|
#31
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Phobias
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I have flown - twice - and managed not to get hysterical although it was a near thing. It's not the flying that bothers me particularly (ok well it does then!) but actually SEEING a plane flying past and having to get close to one - I'm sitting here now on the verge of panic just thinking about it! 
When I went to Cyprus a few years back we had to walk across the tarmac to the plane - I had to be carried inside! 
|
oops - sorry, I didn't realise you had flown already, I didn't mean to sound so patronising
I suppose I got 'weaned' early - my first plane flight was apparently made slung from the roof in a carry cot, aged 18 months. I don't remember that, but since then, especially with my dad being in the RAF, I have been as much a fan of planes as you are of TVR or Aston Martin.
I suppose thats the thing about a real phobia, other people find it hard to understand, but I know it is something you can't just be talked out of.
Anyway I hope you enjoy your holiday, despite your fear
|
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 21:50
|
#32
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Posts: 2,516
|
Re: Phobias
Wasps (stung once as a kid, sat on a not quite dead one in shorts ... what it was doing wearing shorts, I'll never know).
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 22:02
|
#33
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leeds
Age: 69
Posts: 109
|
Re: Phobias
Daddy Long Legs flies - yuk
Having to do a presentation to chief executives, or anyone for that matter
And in the weird category . . . . . . . . beetroot! Aaaaaaaaargh! I can honestly say I find it so disgusting in taste, smell and texture, I cannot stand to look at it (red pickled stuff in jars)
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 22:14
|
#34
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: Phobias
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Bugblatter
Daddy Long Legs flies - yuk
Having to do a presentation to chief executives, or anyone for that matter
And in the weird category . . . . . . . . beetroot! Aaaaaaaaargh! I can honestly say I find it so disgusting in taste, smell and texture, I cannot stand to look at it (red pickled stuff in jars) 
|
Interesting fact that most of you probably dont want to know.....
Ive got that disorder that makes the die from beetroot come out in my pee, not many people get it (Quite scary the first time, thought I was peeing blood  )
I also get that thing with asparagus, that less then 1/10 people have, where you can smell it stronger after you have been for a pee than you could when you where eating the stuff
Well now that ive grossed most of you out, I'll get me coat
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 23:02
|
#35
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Phobias
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Chimaera
Aeroplanes! 
|
The worst thing in my opnion is the take off as thats where the most things can go wrong, as with the landing too.
Once you are up there, you are cruising all the way.
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 23:02
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: singleton city
Age: 57
Posts: 624
|
Re: Phobias
public speaking, celery and labradores spring to mind, but lately my daughters phobia has been passed on to me. she always scared off wasps after being stung when younger, each year gets worse as summer comes, now the phobias extended to anything that flies near her ....... and this has now been passed to me
oh and just remembered another one that makes me go mental at the thought ........chinese burns
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 23:10
|
#37
|
|
Guest
Location: Belfast
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Phobias
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I have flown - twice - and managed not to get hysterical although it was a near thing. It's not the flying that bothers me particularly (ok well it does then!) but actually SEEING a plane flying past and having to get close to one - I'm sitting here now on the verge of panic just thinking about it! 
When I went to Cyprus a few years back we had to walk across the tarmac to the plane - I had to be carried inside! 
|
Ah Chimaera hun.
Good thing you've never flownin the back of an RAF 'Fat Albert' then, when they make a tactical landing. I remember the landing in Sarajevo airport, when I was on UN duties there. Power on steep decent (about 30 or 40 deg. decent, doing 200-205 knots) on short final, then slapping the C-130 into the tarmac doing about 160-180 knots, and then throwing all four engines into reverse and braking HARD. Ended up with all sorts of kit flying around the cargo hold. Ouch. I swear we didnt land, we crashed.
|
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 23:13
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: heckmondwike
Age: 40
Posts: 10,767
|
Re: Phobias
aeroplanes lifts (i can use them though) (spiders, wasps, anything like that.
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 23:15
|
#39
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
|
Re: Phobias
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by bb31
she always scared off wasps after being stung when younger, each year gets worse as summer comes, now the phobias extended to anything that flies near her ....... and this has now been passed to me 
|
Don't I know it  Pair of you running about arms flapping and bawling
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 23:17
|
#40
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: heckmondwike
Age: 40
Posts: 10,767
|
Re: Phobias
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Debsy42
Don't I know it  Pair of you running about arms flapping and bawling 
|
same here, especially when they buzz near you ear
|
|
|
30-06-2004, 08:03
|
#41
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: surrey
Posts: 4,412
|
Re: Phobias
i'm not overly keen on wasps..... and wasn't impressed that my long hot soak in the bath was disturbed last night by a wasp trapped in the bathroom
my mother is scared of anything that flies, especially wasps...when i was young she was in the garden sunbathing on a sunbed, she saw something fly past, freaked, and ended up rolling backwards off the sun bed which folded in half, was rather funny, especially as it was only a butterfly
|
|
|
30-06-2004, 08:09
|
#42
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
|
Re: Phobias
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Bex
i'm not overly keen on wasps..... and wasn't impressed that my long hot soak in the bath was disturbed last night by a wasp trapped in the bathroom
my mother is scared of anything that flies, especially wasps...when i was young she was in the garden sunbathing on a sunbed, she saw something fly past, freaked, and ended up rolling backwards off the sun bed which folded in half, was rather funny, especially as it was only a butterfly
|
She would hate my budgie, he's always out of his cage.................
|
|
|
30-06-2004, 08:44
|
#43
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Leeds - the dog house
Age: 49
Services: Email me for a current price list
Posts: 8,270
|
Re: Phobias
Never been on a plane or any other flying device for that matter - don't really fancy it. I'm a bit of a nervous passenger regardless of the mode of transport. As for wasps - right with you there. Not that long ago I found a queen sat on my air fresher in the bathroom. I had a fit. I always know where the fly killer is  Creepy crawlies and non-stinging flying things don't bother me too much so long as they're in small quantities. I once had to tackle a good few hundred house flies at my mate's flat  Never seen anything like it - real horror movie stuff. Red ants I avoid. I do have a problem with escalators in that I'm scared of using them and much prefer lifts and stairs. Usually it's a deep breath and I leap onto it, hang onto the hand rail for dear life, then leap off the other end  Food wise - well other than 'nanas I can't stand bones and gristle in food. Makes me chuck. I can't go on eating neither - the meal goes in the bin. Oh and mould - the really furry ones. Usually gets me shrieking like a big girl
|
|
|
30-06-2004, 09:38
|
#44
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Selly Oak, Birmingham
Age: 41
Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Posts: 3,214
|
Re: Phobias
i have a fear of walking over water on a bridge, i get the feeling i will be blown off the side and will drown...
suppose by that definition i also have a fear of drowning
nothing else though, so far as i am aware
|
|
|
30-06-2004, 10:02
|
#45
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Punmeister Towers
Age: 51
Services: Will provide gags for cash
Posts: 9,211
|
Re: Phobias
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
i have a fear of walking over water on a bridge, i get the feeling i will be blown off the side and will drown...
suppose by that definition i also have a fear of drowning
nothing else though, so far as i am aware 
|
Now Dave, you do realise that technically that makes you a vampire  (although looking at your avatar, I'm not surprised  )
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:27.
|