29-06-2004, 12:25
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
|
Altitude?
Does anyone have an Ordinance Survey map of the Bexleyheath area? I want to know exactly how high above sea level I am here. I have searched online and cannot find this info anywhere without paying for it
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 12:29
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Surrey
Age: 59
Services: Virgin stuff
Posts: 6,407
|
Re: Altitude?
Planning on diving in ??
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 12:34
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
|
Re: Altitude?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Planning on diving in ?? 
|
lol......I've got a new watch and I'm trying to calibrate it.
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 12:39
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eglinton, Co. Derry
Posts: 7,640
|
Re: Altitude?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Ramrod
Does anyone have an Ordinance Survey map of the Bexleyheath area? I want to know exactly how high above sea level I am here. I have searched online and cannot find this info anywhere without paying for it 
|
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswe...osselect.co.uk
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 12:40
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: surrey
Posts: 4,412
|
Re: Altitude?
men and gadgets. blimming expensive watch
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 12:49
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
|
Re: Altitude?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Ramrod
lol......I've got a new watch and I'm trying to calibrate it.
|
Isn't it already calibrated, at least suficiently accurately for your needs? Iv'e never heard of someone needing to recalibrate a peice of kit like that. Certainly I've got dive computers by Sunto, where depth is worked out entirely by pressure changes, and I've never heard of anyone worrying about calibration of them.
If your worrying about recalibration, that precisely, you'll need to know not only the height above sea level, but also the air pressure. I presume you've got a handy barometer, than you know is also properly calibrated, rather than relying on the watches version. After all if the altitude isn't set right, then how do you know the barometer bit is set correct?
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 12:52
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
|
Re: Altitude?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Bifta
|
I found that, they will only sell you a map. I just want one bit of information from it so I don't want to buy it.
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts
Isn't it already calibrated, at least suficiently accurately for your needs? Iv'e never heard of someone needing to recalibrate a peice of dive kit like that.
If your worrying about recalibration, that precisely, you'll need to know not only the height above sea level, but also the air pressure. I presume you've got a handy barometer, than you know is also properly calibrated.
|
It's got a barometer and temperature sensor built in 
I need to know either the height above sea level or the exact atmos pressure to calibrate it. atm it thinks I'm at -43 metres
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Bex
men and gadgets. blimming expensive watch 
|
My Omega wasn't keeping time very well at all  (I'm going to sell it) so Mandy allowed me off the leash
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 12:56
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eglinton, Co. Derry
Posts: 7,640
|
Re: Altitude?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Ramrod
I found that, they will only sell you a map. I just want one bit of information from it so I don't want to buy it.It's got a barometer and temperature sensor built in  My Omega wasn't keeping time very well at all  (I'm going to sell it) so Mandy allowed me off the leash 
|
Go to your nearest petrol station and have a butchers at one
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 12:59
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
|
Re: Altitude?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Bifta
Go to your nearest petrol station and have a butchers at one
|
I know, I just thought I would be able to find the info somewhere online
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 13:10
|
#10
|
|
Guest
Location: Belfast
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Altitude?
If you go to you're nearest 'old' bank or public building, there should be an OS 'Crow's Foot'. The line running paralell to the ground will give you the exact height above sea level, at that line. If in doubt where you can find this OS datum point, contact you're local Building Control Office and they will tell you where it is/ should be.
Hope this helps.
|
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 13:17
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: surrey
Posts: 4,412
|
Re: Altitude?
rammy dad's going to have a look over at the school library after work. so won't be till about 6pm.... but he will see what he can find for you
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 13:22
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 2nd CPU to the right & past the cache
Posts: 1,949
|
Re: Altitude?
You could try looking up the height above sea level of various radio/tv transmitter aerials, and working backwards from there. I'm sure there must be one in the area. Haven't got time to search for a useful url tho'.
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 13:26
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Huthwaite, Nottinghamshire
Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
Posts: 4,536
|
Re: Altitude?
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 13:26
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Surrey
Age: 59
Services: Virgin stuff
Posts: 6,407
|
Re: Altitude?
Thames Barrier has an indicator on it, but most of London is at Sea Level ... How accurate do you need it to be ?
|
|
|
29-06-2004, 13:27
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Warrington ntl:81304 Altitude: 12m (and falling)
Posts: 4,499
|
Re: Altitude?
Go to:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
and tap in your postcode. Then click on the third largest 'size' blob (the + and - arrows don't work properly). It's only from the OS 1:50,000 series but you should be able to work out your height.
Edit
That took me so long to type that Ian... beat me to it!
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:14.
|