Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | downstream dropping off

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

downstream dropping off
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 18:41   #16
Retrovertigo
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 481
Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice
Re: downstream dropping off

I hate to be pushy, but where do I find the proxy server things? ta

edit: even my download speed seems to be dropping off to about 35kbs now..grrrr
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2004, 18:50   #17
homealone
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: downstream dropping off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo
I hate to be pushy, but where do I find the proxy server things? ta
hi

info on setting an explicit proxy & a list of the ntl ones can be found in this link

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...trancache.html

- try setting your existing one, found here as explicit first, if that doesn't improve things then try another in an an area near to you. It is a bit of trial and error at this point, I'm afraid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 19:16   #18
Chris W
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Reading
Age: 42
Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Posts: 6,546
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: downstream dropping off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo
I hate to be pushy, but where do I find the proxy server things? ta

edit: even my download speed seems to be dropping off to about 35kbs now..grrrr
oops sorry forgot to put the link in!

thanks homealone for doing it

retrovertigo, has this made any difference?

MB
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 22:25   #19
Retrovertigo
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 481
Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice
Re: downstream dropping off

It's hard to say. I can do the speed test and it can show up as being ok. but then i surf or download something and it slows down to about half the speed I should be getting.

I assume there's no hardware problem that could cause this? otherwise the speed test would show it as being slow as well yes?

is this a known problem at the moment by the way? Or is it just "one of those things" - as i say I have just built a new P.C and would hate to think there's anything wrong with my hardware. cheers

This is the readings from the speed test:

1st 128K took 1953 ms = 67113 Bytes/sec = approx 558 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1969 ms = 66568 Bytes/sec = approx 554 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1890 ms = 69350 Bytes/sec = approx 577 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 2079 ms = 63046 Bytes/sec = approx 525 kbits/sec

not quite as fast as I'm used to. But an improvement on what I've had all day.

This may be a silly question, but on my old system I had 2 hard drives in it. One that I used for all my downloads. So I'd download to one drive while the other drive had I.E on it etc. would me now downloading and surfing from a single hard drive affect my speed?
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 23:47   #20
DbzDP
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 62
DbzDP is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: downstream dropping off

I am having the same problem, I was watching something on my PC then it just froze, I thought overheated CPu, but it was at normal Temp, then when I restart my PC 10mins later freezes again while I am just surfing, the only thing I can think of that is doing this is NTL.

I got WinXP Pro SP1a
ZoneAlarm
Norton

I thought maybe something I installed is making it act this way, and tried to restore my pc to the saved settings a week ago, it wont do it. I think the NTL Upgrades are causing all this problem, I guess we got to wait till they finish with there upgrades see if our pcs still freezing up.
DbzDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 14:08   #21
iklebrit
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
iklebrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: downstream dropping off

just found another possiblity if using nforce chipset, i havent had many dropped connections atall for along time, but just relised id decided to plug my usb keyboard into the one of the extra usb ports, and noticed that that actual usb hub is using the same irq as the ethernet adapter. so i put the keyboard back into the ps2 socket, so far so good, no dropped connections. im still testing using edonkey. to see if speed keeps up. this maybe why zonealarm is causing crashing etc.
but it doesnt seem to fix the problem installing old drivers so the problem must of been there for alongtime & just become relavant now.
probably why zonelabs asnt had many faults reported for zonealarm crashing, if you dont use those extra usb ports you wont have a problem.

ill report back in a few hours. too see if it disconnected or not.

well it did just disconnected, this is definately an ntl thing. i suspect its to do with ip addresses, should you have a lease of just 1 hour?
iklebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 16:37   #22
iklebrit
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
iklebrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: downstream dropping off

well im in sutton-in-ashfield and theres a problem with my what seems like the dhcp server im connected too as it gives me a ip lease of 1 hour, then the ip will not give me access to the internet after that period, until i disable the ethernet connection and get a new one. ie its still connected but blocked.

which is 62.254.0.53
is urs the same?
iklebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 16:56   #23
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,246
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: downstream dropping off

Quote:
Originally Posted by iklebrit
well im in sutton-in-ashfield and theres a problem with my what seems like the dhcp server im connected too as it gives me a ip lease of 1 hour, then the ip will not give me access to the internet after that period, until i disable the ethernet connection and get a new one. ie its still connected but blocked.

which is 62.254.0.53
is urs the same?
Sounds more like you have a problem locally - something blocking your dhcp renewal requests - if the Nottingham DHCP was having problems then an awful lot of people would be affected.

Also - as far as I am aware all the Nottingham dhcp servers lease their addresses for 24 hours, not 1 hour.

Are you using some sort of router ?
__________________

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 19:02   #24
iklebrit
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
iklebrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: downstream dropping off

well been on the phone with ntl support, they said it could be the onboard nic has been messed up somehow, as the cable modem was working correctly and had a lease of 24hrs for an ip, but the nic on the computer said 1hr lease but would drop out before the hour was up. Im currently trying my olde 3com 3c905b-tx nic i had in the spare computer i used to run this nic when i got the cable modem about 4or5 years ago. and it seems fine so far, 24hr lease showing etc.
They did say there was a problem in this area, but not my part.

update:- my connection isnt dropping out anymore and its running like a charm!!!
iklebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:24.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum