Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Yay, I passed!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Yay, I passed!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2004, 08:09   #16
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive
 
MovedGoalPosts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 127.0.0.1
Age: 62
Posts: 15,868
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by towny
Nice one Jerrek.

Volunteering for the emergency services is a little different over here - you can volunteer for the police (completely unpaid) or the fire service (you have a day job but get called on as a 'retained' firefighter, which does attract pay), but as Charlie says, the nearest we have to a volunteer ambulance service is St John Ambulance. Organisers of major public events use them to provide on-site first aid cover, but they don't do any of the big rushing through the streets lifesaving stuff AFAIK.
St John's ambulance are frequently "out & about" at peak times doing a lot of fetching and carying work to releive the stress on the main ambulance services in the UK. Their vehicles do have blue lights, so if there was a need, I'm quite sure the drivers. if authorised to drive at that level, would do a blue light run. However I don't think the St Johns would be the primary response to an incident.

As an aside, being a passenger in a police response vehicle doing a blue light run across Surrey, in the rush hour, was one of he most jaw dropping experiences I've ever had. Roller Coaster rides and the like aren't a patch on it. You just never know what the reaction of the next driver you encounter will be, except it is going to be unpredictable

Voluntary work with the emergency services can be extremely rewarding, demanding, and a bit of an eye opener. If you have the time and are prepared for the commitment, I can recommend it.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2004, 08:20   #17
gary_580
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
By passing a special driving test this afternoon, I have finally passed all the requirements necessary to get a permit to drive an emergency services vehicle. Up to now I've been mainly the hands-on paramedic, but now I have expanded a bit and if need be I'm permitted to drive an ambulance. Might give me an occasional break from having to sit in the back telling people they're going to make it, and to remain calm, and to not move, and ... (it is actually a wee bit more involved than that... You wouldn't believe how messed up some people are when they are rushed to the hospital.) Not that I'm complaining... It is a very satisfying way, to me, of spending my time.

If you're bored Saturdays, why not sign up and volunteer? You learn lots, and meet lots of new people. Not to mention there are certain quirks... Such as being invited to parties and events you wouldn't usually have access to. The people around you will appreciate you helping them.

Guess im a bit confused here, one week your a student and dont haqve much money, this week your a paramedic and now youve passed your test to be an ambulance driver?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 08:22   #18
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
Guess im a bit confused here, one week your a student and dont haqve much money, this week your a paramedic and now youve passed your test to be an ambulance driver?
He's volunteered for St John Ambulance. It appears St John gets paramedics into the thick of it a little more in Canada than they do over here.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 08:40   #19
gary_580
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Yay, I passed!

ahhhhhhh gotcha, didnt think St Johns Ambulance were paramedics. Dont they just administer plasters and tie people up in bandages?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 10:52   #20
zoombini
cf.mega poster
 
zoombini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: England
Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
Posts: 3,732
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Re: Yay, I passed!

Well done lad...
__________________
Not really visiting CF much these days....
If you need me, PM me.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 11:40   #21
luftys
Inactive
 
luftys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: outer space
Posts: 1,038
luftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant future
Re: Yay, I passed!

Glad you made it,in the end
luftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 11:44   #22
Marge
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
ahhhhhhh gotcha, didnt think St Johns Ambulance were paramedics. Dont they just administer plasters and tie people up in bandages?
I'm qualified to tie people up in bandages, any volunteers ???

and btw Well Done Jerrek
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 11:57   #23
DrAwesome
Inactive
 
DrAwesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: I dwell within bricks & morta
Posts: 2,268
DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome
Cool Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
I'm qualified to tie people up in bandages, any volunteers ???
So thats your chosen fetish....







Congrats Jerrek
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 12:15   #24
Jerrek
Inactive
 
Jerrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
Jerrek can only hope to improve
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
I'm qualified to tie people up, any volunteers ???
Yes!

Quote:
and btw Well Done Jerrek
Thank you.
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 12:24   #25
Jerrek
Inactive
 
Jerrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
Jerrek can only hope to improve
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
ahhhhhhh gotcha, didnt think St Johns Ambulance were paramedics. Dont they just administer plasters and tie people up in bandages?
In general, no, St. John Ambulance is not a real ambulance services, and are not real paramedics. However, being in the wonderful socialized Canada, government funding is never enough and they are frequently needed.

I mostly do the go-to-special-events-and-keep-an-eye-on-stupid-people kind of thing. Although I did do the paramedics course and know how to administer oxygen, stick a pipe down someone's throat, etc.
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 12:24   #26
Jerrek
Inactive
 
Jerrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,545
Jerrek can only hope to improve
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
Guess im a bit confused here, one week your a student and dont haqve much money, this week your a paramedic and now youve passed your test to be an ambulance driver?
You can be a student and a volunteer at St. John ambulance...
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 12:58   #27
luftys
Inactive
 
luftys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: outer space
Posts: 1,038
luftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant future
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
I'm qualified to tie people up in bandages, any volunteers ???
can I bring my own whip?
luftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 13:09   #28
gary_580
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
I'm qualified to tie people up in bandages, any volunteers ???

and btw Well Done Jerrek


errm notice the order that came out. Fetish and then congrats!!! hmm can you substitute bandages?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 13:10   #29
gary_580
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Yay, I passed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luftys
can I bring my own whip?

who are you? Frankie Dettori?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 19:41   #30
luftys
Inactive
 
luftys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: outer space
Posts: 1,038
luftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant future
Re: Yay, I passed!

my ride is always a winner
luftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:26.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum