**MERGED** No newsgroups server?
10-04-2004, 09:52
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Nuneaton
Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
Posts: 1,057
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
[QUOTE=rdhw]For reference:
Almost all the publicly-known NTL news server addresses (e.g. news.cable.ntlworld.com, news.ntlworld.com, text.news.ntlworld.com) are all now identical aliases of news.ntli.net, which resolves to eight possible IP addresses on a round-robin basis:
newscache.cable.ntlworld.com internet address = 80.1.224.5
newscache.cable.ntlworld.com internet address = 80.1.224.4
but I have no idea whether these news servers are actually working.
Thanks for the information! I changed to news.ntli.net and the service is now working fine.....mind you, I said that when i changed to newscache.cable which, by the way are not working at all!
|
|
|
10-04-2004, 10:12
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Swansea
Age: 50
Posts: 111
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by rdhw
The exceptions to the above round-robin are all the DNS names for news servers which have "cache" in their name. All of these are identical aliases for newscache.cable.ntlworld.com which yields a round-robin on two of the proxy servers at Bromley:
newscache.cable.ntlworld.com internet address = 80.1.224.5
newscache.cable.ntlworld.com internet address = 80.1.224.4
but I have no idea whether these news servers are actually working.
|
These should have been disabled now the migration to the new servers is complete. The offical ntl line is to use news.cable.ntlworld.com or news.ntlworld.com for dial up.
However if news.ntli.net works then don't let the official line stop anyone
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 13:54
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
Hi everyone,
can someone explain possibly in technical terms how the news servers went from very good to crap overnight? The servers work but everything is incomplete. How did they do that overnight anyone?
Thanks
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 15:16
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
Just use Google groups. Free and excellent. Much better than using a newsreader. If you want files then use a p2p application.
http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 15:33
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Coventry
Posts: 169
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
news.cable.ntlworld.com seems ok, well on tv.aus its contents was pretty thorough... :O
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 15:33
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 693
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
Quote:
Hi everyone,
can someone explain possibly in technical terms how the news servers went from very good to crap overnight? The servers work but everything is incomplete. How did they do that overnight anyone?
Thanks
|
No idea, I noticed exactly the same thing, it was literally overnight about a week ago, the whole server is useless for binaries currently (even many text only posts are missing) back to Easynews I went....
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 15:57
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Coventry
Posts: 169
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by IanUK
No idea, I noticed exactly the same thing, it was literally overnight about a week ago, the whole server is useless for binaries currently (even many text only posts are missing) back to Easynews I went....
|
Maybe its the IP your issued? The one im on right now seems VERY good :S
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 15:58
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Coventry
Posts: 169
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
Im on 194.168.222.124 - try manual IP entry.
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 16:03
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 693
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
Hi, thanks for the reply, I just tried that ip, just the same - everything past about 6 days ago is incomplete  (I mean in the last 6 days) everything older than 6 days is good, the server was great then.
This is in lots of groups including shadowrealm,cores etc
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 16:19
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Coventry
Posts: 169
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
I've just been on alt.binaries.tv.aus - shocked it was complete. I guess they've lost some major peering.
I also have a Newshosting account which is prety amazing - web interface (saves on downloading newsgroup headers) and full speed 1mbit. You might wanna try taking something like that up, as it seems NTLWorld's (or for that matter, pretty much any ISP) newsgroups servers suck.
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 17:23
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 693
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
I have Easynews, which is very good, but I was rather hoping that NTL's *new* servers were going to stay good for a bit longer than a few days
ah well..guess the newsserver trial was a bit of a waste of time..
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 17:24
|
#27
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: norton , teesside
Age: 58
Posts: 10,571
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by IanUK
I have Easynews, which is very good, but I was rather hoping that NTL's *new* servers were going to stay good for a bit longer than a few days
ah well..guess the newsserver trial was a bit of a waste of time..
|
when did they get new servers ???????????
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 17:43
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 693
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
The trial was for the new servers I think, then all the ips were merged and we were told to use news.ntlworld.com instead of all the seperate ones (indeed a lot of the old servers newscache etc no longer work)
|
|
|
12-04-2004, 21:59
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Posts: 2,516
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
The servers, though are actually working better than usual, but the binary completion is nonexistent - when there's nothing on them at all, I guess they'll work PERFECTLY!
|
|
|
13-04-2004, 01:50
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lancs
Services: 3Mbit STB broadband
TV Base Pack
321 Phone
Posts: 108
|
Re: **MERGED** No newsgroups server?
During the News Server trials there where significant problems with completion. NTL where supposedly investing in additional hardware to resolve that problem before the servers went live (and it did seem to solve the problem). I wonder if the additional hardware has failed?
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:36.
|