Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Question on speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Question on speeds
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2015, 10:37   #16
Carlos Carboni
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Question on speeds

From the evidence, it looks like the router is the problem.

The Asus RT66U router is very good model, you should not be getting those low speeds, its range sucks but it is not abysmal.

-Try upgrading the ASUS firmware.
-If that fails, if it is under warranty, ask for a replacement.
-Final option is to flash it with dd-wrt, you might be able to improve the range by increasing the transmission power further (I no longer have the Asus, so do not know for sure) although the ASUS firmware might have this option too

And you have nothing to lose by getting the SH2, although that's not the one that cases the problem,
  Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2015, 10:54   #17
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Question on speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Carboni View Post
From the evidence, it looks like the router is the problem.
From the evidence, I don't see a problem.

Quote:
The Asus RT66U router is very good model, you should not be getting those low speeds, its range sucks but it is not abysmal.
198Mbps is not low speed.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:24   #18
smallclone
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
Posts: 817
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Question on speeds

I've got the latest firmware from Merlin.

The 40Mhz bandwidth channel has improved results. I'm now getting speeds of 35mbs right next to the router on the smartphone, and quite good speeds of 70mb - 90mb on the laptop via 2.5Ghz right next to the router.

Still not what the superhub2 gave round a mates house, but I'm prepared to accept it I think, and testing via a samsung s3 appears to be a less than accurate method if I'm honest.

If I have real issues (as I need to move the router and superhub next month) then I may go down the retentions route. In the meantime, thanks for the help (must spread to most of you apparently).
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 12:14   #19
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Question on speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Maybe mon General missed this
you are correct and I feel like a right spoon now
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 13:24   #20
Sephiroth
Wisdom & truth
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Question on speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
I've got the latest firmware from Merlin.

The 40Mhz bandwidth channel has improved results. I'm now getting speeds of 35mbs right next to the router on the smartphone, and quite good speeds of 70mb - 90mb on the laptop via 2.5Ghz right next to the router.

Still not what the superhub2 gave round a mates house, but I'm prepared to accept it I think, and testing via a samsung s3 appears to be a less than accurate method if I'm honest.

If I have real issues (as I need to move the router and superhub next month) then I may go down the retentions route. In the meantime, thanks for the help (must spread to most of you apparently).
I'm pleased for you that this has all crystallised.

Just to say, Retentions won't be able to help you on this issue, particularly because the two key components are an Asus router and an S3.
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 13:34   #21
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Question on speeds

ya, I do apologise for my poor advice
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 13:48   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Question on speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
The 40Mhz bandwidth channel has improved results. I'm now getting speeds of 35mbs right next to the router on the smartphone, and quite good speeds of 70mb - 90mb on the laptop via 2.5Ghz right next to the router.
Placebo effect. The smartphone doesn't support 40Mhz in that band so it cannot possibly have made any difference.

Given your performance is interference-limited, HT40 has probably switched itself off anyway.

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
you are correct and I feel like a right spoon now
I was waiting for someone else to point that out so I didn't have to
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:16   #23
MUD_Wizard
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 382
MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold
Re: Question on speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
But the 2.5Ghz only receives a maximum of 30MB throughout the house. Even when my smartphone is lying next to the router it is only getting 20Mb.

The same smartphone receives 70Mb/s on my friends superhub 2. Any reason for this? I've tried different channels and modes but no joy. Thanks.
The lower speed you are seeing at your house is the top speed on the 2.4ghz band and the higher speed at your friends house is the top speed on the 5ghz band:



---------- Post added at 04:16 ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
The 40Mhz bandwidth channel has improved results. I'm now getting speeds of 35mbs right next to the router on the smartphone, and quite good speeds of 70mb - 90mb on the laptop via 2.5Ghz right next to the router.

Still not what the superhub2 gave round a mates house, but I'm prepared to accept it I think, and testing via a samsung s3 appears to be a less than accurate method if I'm honest.
I really don't think your phone is connected to the 5ghz band in your house and/or you've got the Asus settings all wrong. Make sure you rename the SSID's of the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks to different names to be sure.

Your laptop wifi card may also be capable of 70Mb on the 2.4ghz band. It's not a big ask of it, depending on the card's spec. So check that too.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 17:27   #24
smallclone
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
Posts: 817
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Question on speeds

I currently have the superhub in superhub mode. Yet my router is still connected to it via the modem mode port.

I see multiple networks and they all appear to work

1) Is this normal, and will it cause problems?
2) What is the point in a mdem mode if the router works this way in the first place?

Ta
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 17:53   #25
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Question on speeds

Yes it is normal and yes it "could" cause problems because you are double nating. The reason why modem mode was created was to disable the router function of the shub. You expect routers to have certain features and perform a certain way and shub1 was made on the cheap and poorly tested and just didn't work. Apart from the wifi being diabolical, it kept crashing when put under moderate load, random reboots, I can remember people have problem with playstations not connecting all that kind of stuff. They were stupid faults that just shouldn't happen. Modem mode was created so your 3rd party router could serve as your primary router and handle everything in it's entirety such as dhcp leasing, wifi and all the routing (obviously) and the shub served as a gateway and passed off all the data to the internet/VM.

Shub aside, you can daisy chain as many routers as you want but you are just asking for trouble. At the moment your 3rd party router has not got a wan ip address and instead a local address provided by the shub. As an example, the ip addressing scheme I use on my router is 18.19.1.100/24 so all the devices on my network start with that address but the wan ip address for my router is the proper internet address I get from VM which is 82.215.xxx.xxx. At the moment your proper router isn't directly connect to the internet and it's wan ip address is the local address the shub has given it (along with all other devices) and will probably be 192.168.0.2 (the shub being 0.1). What happens is that your proper router tries to sort the traffic out itself and instead of sending it straight off to the internet if it needs to, it now has to send it to the shub. It will say "we need to route this traffic to 192.168.0.1 (the shub) and then you hope the shub will look at it and say "we need to send this off to an ip address on the lan (for devices directly connected to the shub) or off to 82.xxx.xxx.xx for the internet". It is also a right pain in the bum if you ever need to do port forwarding as well. I have got two additional routers which I use as wireless access points but that is it. All the routing and dhcp etc is still run by my primary router.

Tbh there really isn't a need to daisy chain routers on your small home networks, especially when the shub is involved. If you need to add more wired devices you are better using switches.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 18:21   #26
smallclone
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
Posts: 817
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Question on speeds

Thanks man. Turned it back to modem mode.

FWIW - I got a Shub2 this week from Virgin. and speeds have ever so slightly increased but not by much at all. I have a system where everything works brilliantly wired to the router, or 1 - 2m away from the router.

But any further than that and it's proper deterioration. Proper gutted.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 18:22   #27
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Question on speeds

I have just been lying in the bath and realised I perhaps didn't explain it clearly enough. You only have 1 ip address from VM which has to be shared between all the devices on your network which is why the router has one address for it's wan port and then dished out different local and non-routable addresses for the devices connected to it. The problem with double nating (network address translation) is that all the traffic for everything connected to the last router in the chain gets bundled under one address (in your case 192.168.0.2 from shub) and then the next router bundles it under another address (wan ip from VM in your case) and you have to hope that when your get the response back off the internet that the data/packets can find their way back to the originating device. Most of the time you wouldn't have problem and everything would work perfectly fine but when it comes to the shub, you are just asking for trouble.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 19:44   #28
smallclone
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CF24
Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
Posts: 817
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Question on speeds

Sitting approx 3m under my Asus router through the ceiling on the 152Mb/s package via the 2.4hz band:

Inssider:


Speed test:



I just don't get it.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 22:41   #29
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Question on speeds

what device are you running the speed test on? If it is the Galaxy S3 you mentioned previously then I wouldn't worry about it, I only got 20mbits on mine yet if I try my S4 then I get 60mbits.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:30   #30
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Question on speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
I just don't get it.
I've already told you several times what the cause is. Interference and crap devices. It's like going down the M25 in London and whining "I just don't get it" when you can't do 70mph flat out.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:46.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum