Students Rioting in London.
05-05-2011, 11:52
|
#1426
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,057
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
It is such a shame that so many so-called adults behave like little children.
|
But enough about the rioting students.....
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
05-05-2011, 12:15
|
#1427
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
It is such a shame that so many so-called adults behave like little children.
|
With all due respect you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about the police in very many similar discussions.Is there any particular reason for this attitude?
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
05-05-2011, 15:11
|
#1428
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,375
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
With all due respect you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about the police in very many similar discussions.Is there any particular reason for this attitude? 
|
I don't have a problem with policing, so long as it is done in a way which benefits society; the ways in which it is meant to. My issues are with those officers who choose to police in a way which departs from the principals laid down to protect the public. All figures of authority should be held to a higher standard than those who they excercise their prerogative over. What is just as worse, however, are those among them who seek to conceal the poor behaviour of their colleagues and others, or even attempt to justify, encourage or ignore it; as we have witnessed in this case.
The basis of this opinion is that two wrongs do not make a right. Because Mr Tomlinson was not walking away from him fast enough, does not justify the actions Harwood took. The jury at the inquest concur with that opinion.
Regardless of what many may think, I have a huge respect for the police service and what it stands for. I sit on my local NAG committee, I am chair of our local residents' association and co-chair of the neighbourhood watch, all of which cannot survive without a good relationship with our local police service. However, what I cannot respect, nor condone, are those officers who abuse their position and I am aghast at those who do. When I was growing up, I witnessed police officers doling out summary punishments to children as young as nine years old, one thirteen year old friend was left with two black eyes and a a bloody nose after "showing disrespect" to one officer. I have witnessed them planting evidence on youngsters as young as twelve. This was just the tip of a very large iceberg.
Even after all of that, I still have a huge admiration for those who step up to the mark and dedicate their professional lives to upholding the law and remaining on the right side of morality. I have met and know a great many brave and dedicated police officers, who would not even flinch in the face of danger and threat. But, I will not sit quietly by and watch their efforts destroyed by a minority, who would seek to tarnish the reputation of so many good men and women.
|
|
|
05-05-2011, 17:02
|
#1429
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I don't have a problem with policing, so long as it is done in a way which benefits society; the ways in which it is meant to. My issues are with those officers who choose to police in a way which departs from the principals laid down to protect the public. All figures of authority should be held to a higher standard than those who they excercise their prerogative over. What is just as worse, however, are those among them who seek to conceal the poor behaviour of their colleagues and others, or even attempt to justify, encourage or ignore it; as we have witnessed in this case.
The basis of this opinion is that two wrongs do not make a right. Because Mr Tomlinson was not walking away from him fast enough, does not justify the actions Harwood took. The jury at the inquest concur with that opinion.
Regardless of what many may think, I have a huge respect for the police service and what it stands for. I sit on my local NAG committee, I am chair of our local residents' association and co-chair of the neighbourhood watch, all of which cannot survive without a good relationship with our local police service. However, what I cannot respect, nor condone, are those officers who abuse their position and I am aghast at those who do. When I was growing up, I witnessed police officers doling out summary punishments to children as young as nine years old, one thirteen year old friend was left with two black eyes and a a bloody nose after "showing disrespect" to one officer. I have witnessed them planting evidence on youngsters as young as twelve. This was just the tip of a very large iceberg.
Even after all of that, I still have a huge admiration for those who step up to the mark and dedicate their professional lives to upholding the law and remaining on the right side of morality. I have met and know a great many brave and dedicated police officers, who would not even flinch in the face of danger and threat. But, I will not sit quietly by and watch their efforts destroyed by a minority, who would seek to tarnish the reputation of so many good men and women.
|
Yes you have so much respect for them that, despite the numerous posts you've made with respect to the police, this is the first time I can recall you saying anything positive about them at all.
Despite there having been no criminal trial, you've already made up your mind that Mr Tomlinson was 'beaten to death' despite the fact that the official view was that officer concerned had used "excessive and unreasonable force" resulting in unlawful killing. Your deliberate choice of highly emotive words before any prosecution for manslaughter is hardly evidence of a fair-minded approach or any real concern about the service you now claim to be so supportive of.
|
|
|
05-05-2011, 18:27
|
#1430
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 18
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Listen. It's the first time they've been out of bed before 3pm.
|
|
|
05-05-2011, 18:29
|
#1431
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glasgow
Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Posts: 9,158
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
I feel I should point out this thread is about the riots over tuition fee and other associated student protests. Any discussion about Tomlinson, his death and future action over it should be in the G20 protests thread
|
|
|
05-05-2011, 19:57
|
#1432
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I feel I should point out this thread is about the riots over tuition fee and other associated student protests. Any discussion about Tomlinson, his death and future action over it should be in the G20 protests thread
|
Point taken.
Bet you're delighted Flyboy's on your side after all........
|
|
|
06-05-2011, 11:39
|
#1433
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glasgow
Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Posts: 9,158
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
In other news swinging from a flag on the Cenotaph has been confirmed as a really bad idea.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13309662
Quote:
|
Charlie Gilmour, son of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour, has pleaded guilty to a charge of violent disorder over an attack on a convoy of cars containing Prince Charles.
|
|
|
|
27-05-2011, 15:41
|
#1434
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glasgow
Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Posts: 9,158
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13578369
Quote:
|
Jody McIntyre wheelchair complaint: Tuition fees police cleared
|
Seeing he is a professional protestor I wonder if he will protest this decision?
|
|
|
27-05-2011, 15:53
|
#1435
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,105
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
|
Excellent news
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
27-05-2011, 16:05
|
#1436
|
|
vox populi vox dei
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,602
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
this'll open up the flood gates- what next police drag screaming baby from pram
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
|
|
|
27-05-2011, 16:24
|
#1437
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
As a keen supporter of the police I'm sure Flyboy will be particularly pleased about this......
|
|
|
27-05-2011, 16:39
|
#1438
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,105
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem
As a keen supporter of the police I'm sure Flyboy will be particularly pleased about this...... 
|
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
27-05-2011, 16:45
|
#1439
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,057
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
|
He is taking it quite well
From his twitter page
Quote:
This is yet another example of the corruption and complete ineptitude of the Metropolitan Police.
about 1 hour ago
|
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
27-05-2011, 16:47
|
#1440
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Students Rioting in London.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
He is taking it quite well
From his twitter page
"This is yet another example of the corruption and complete ineptitude of the Metropolitan Police"
|
Flyboy has a Twitter page???.........
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:44.
|