Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2010, 09:40   #61
kgollop
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Plymouth
Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
Posts: 753
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Yeah, I actually like it now, so good especially the TV guide search
I think it's great. The wife saw an advert for a show called Accidentally on Purpose. I went in and searched for it, the search found it in the TV guide, let me series link it from there and also found the first two episodes that she missed on catch up
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2010, 11:01   #62
mr.munky
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
mr.munky will become famous soon enoughmr.munky will become famous soon enoughmr.munky will become famous soon enough
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor06 View Post


That would make more sense wouldn't it?
The yellow button seems to be neglected at times
I see where you're coming from but yellow button is for series record on a V+. Nice mockup though.
mr.munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 14:27   #63
jtaylor06
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Telford
Age: 32
Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
Posts: 1,034
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.munky View Post
I see where you're coming from but yellow button is for series record on a V+. Nice mockup though.
Good point, I forgot about that :P
Thanks though
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2010, 21:37   #64
windy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bournemouth
Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
Posts: 629
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

So when are we ALL supposed to get
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 11:58   #65
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Belfast
Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
Posts: 1,446
1701-e has reached the bronze age
1701-e has reached the bronze age1701-e has reached the bronze age1701-e has reached the bronze age1701-e has reached the bronze age1701-e has reached the bronze age1701-e has reached the bronze age
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

It's in Belfast so it must be nearly fully rolled out!
__________________
advertise here...........
1701-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 12:46   #66
nn012
cf.addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
Posts: 338
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Available here today as well, but I can only access the new search feature when stopping an on demand program and selecting the new third 'more like this' option. I've also noticed when searching with the new search, for example, The Wire it lists the full 12 episode list while the normal list in the old search and in HBO channel list only shows 8.
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 18:11   #67
Felim_Doyle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Age: 62
Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Posts: 897
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Exclamation Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.munky View Post
The navigation on the search screen is a little more complex than on others, but to clarify:

Green - used for Page Up (as is elsewhere).

Blue - could have been used for delete; however that relegates the "More Like This" functionality to an option from the (i) button programme info screen, hence the deviation.

Left button deletes characters while the text input field is highlighted (watch the arrow indication - you will see it change when switching highlight from the results area to the input field). Once you have results, left button will let you switch categories to the left unless you use the up button to put highlight back on the text input field or use number keys to change the search term.
When the text input field is highlighted, everything should work as it does elsewhere when editing a text field (e.g. Blue is delete, Left arrow is move left within the text etc.). Then, when you're in the results area Blue and Yellow can take on the appropriate behaviour in that context (More Like This, Series Record etc.) and page up/down is performed by the page up and page down keys. Where is Green Page Up?

The search in BBC iPlayer uses Blue as clear/delete as does set-top-box e-mail which also uses Red to toggle upper/lower case, Green to toggle alpha/number mode, Yellow to access symbols and the arrow keys do what they should: move left, right, up and down. There are several other places where the keys operate like this for editing text and always have done in all of the years that I've had a digital box.
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 22:07   #68
windy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bournemouth
Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
Posts: 629
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Ive now got the search option now at last...and its really good...so far
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 07:50   #69
Felim_Doyle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Age: 62
Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Posts: 897
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Wink Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

How'd ya get it fixed Whingey?

It was certainly an odd one and apparently unique to you!
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 09:52   #70
mr.munky
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
mr.munky will become famous soon enoughmr.munky will become famous soon enoughmr.munky will become famous soon enough
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
When the text input field is highlighted, everything should work as it does elsewhere when editing a text field (e.g. Blue is delete, Left arrow is move left within the text etc.). Then, when you're in the results area Blue and Yellow can take on the appropriate behaviour in that context (More Like This, Series Record etc.) and page up/down is performed by the page up and page down keys. Where is Green Page Up?

The search in BBC iPlayer uses Blue as clear/delete as does set-top-box e-mail which also uses Red to toggle upper/lower case, Green to toggle alpha/number mode, Yellow to access symbols and the arrow keys do what they should: move left, right, up and down. There are several other places where the keys operate like this for editing text and always have done in all of the years that I've had a digital box.
Red/Green as PgUp/PgDn are standard elsewhere - TV Guide & other On Demand listings screens, for example. It would be nice to use the actual PgUp/PgDn buttons, I agree, but not all RC units have these. The difficulty is coming up with a standard which works for all boxes and all remotes; given the very large number of possible combinations, in practice this becomes rather difficult. Your focus-sensitive blue button idea sounds rather good, actually - very useful feedback. I'll take that one away, thank you.
mr.munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 08:03   #71
japitts
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Services: V6 with Maxit, Sky Sports HD, TNT Sports, Sky Cinema. 250Mb broadband, Talk Anytime.
Posts: 645
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Noticed this new search menu yesterday, but there seems to be some teething problems with the catch-up part.

1 - Some BBC programmes (may be others too, but it's these I've noticed) from Sunday/Monday don't seem to be on catch-up. Panorama from Monday for example - I can't see this under A-Z or search.

2 - Search function not finding everything. Take Newsnight. A-Z listing and it finds all the "episodes" you'd expect. Catch-up search and it only finds yesterdays. Not sure if this by accident or design.

I'd also agree it could do with an option at the bottom of the screen to say how many pages of results there are. Page up & down is fine, but "Page x of y" would be good.

I'm in BS37, BTW.

Jon.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 20:18   #72
Horizon
Media Watcher
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Essex
Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Posts: 2,416
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

....agree about the teething problems.

This new search feature has landed in my area so I thought I'd give it a quick spin.

When into it, with the blue "more like this" button at the bottom of the page. There were already four selections of programmes there so I pressed the blue "more like this" button on the Scottish parliament programme hoping to get more of the same. (Not sure why I selected Scottish parliament, perhaps I just wanted to see what those Scots were wasting our taxpayers money on... ). I digress.

But instead of getting more Scotch Parliament action, one of the options was Jeremy Kyle!

Now, I know the Scots are a rough bunch but they're not as bad as that total plonker...

I've just given it one last try, so I pressed the magic blue button on Homes Under The Hammer, an easy subject to find similar stuff, one would think. This is what I got:

Indian Hill Railways
Animal Park
A Century Of Fatherhood
Crop To Shop
Gardener's World
Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives

At least when I'm bored, I've got a new toy to play with now. I guess Gardener's World is related to stuff about homes, but Parallel Worlds??
__________________
Forum Box
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 13:23   #73
paul nolan
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 130
paul nolan is on a distinguished roadpaul nolan is on a distinguished road
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

does anybody know when this roll out is going to be complete? Still no sign of it in the West of Southampton.
paul nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:32   #74
BenMcr
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul nolan View Post
does anybody know when this roll out is going to be complete? Still no sign of it in the West of Southampton.
Everyone should have it as the rollout has now completed
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 17:31   #75
gadge
Inactive
 
gadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Newcastle Staffordshire(Bromley)
Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
Posts: 1,742
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack
Re: My 1st thread woop! I'm in trial area for new Tivo style (sort of lol) OD search

Can i just ask a question ben does the search say you type in horror mostly horror films come up or with horror in the title does this depend on your chosen package?,i did ask the chap who i beta test for but he had nothing to do with the testing phase.
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:38.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum