10-03-2009, 14:16
|
#16
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: belfast
Services: vmxl virgin vmbb virgin mobile
Posts: 2,105
|
Re: Debit Card Question
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch
You are limited for a reason, just in case someone does get hold of your card and pin. Only thanks to this alone, my account was only £180 down, instead of over 1k which they tried to withdraw after cloning my card  (still it didn't stop them purchasing hundreds of pounds worth of mobile phones online  - i did get the money back, but months later!)
Do yourself a favour and leave it as it is, if you need to withdraw more, go into the bank.
|
sound advice.
|
|
|
10-03-2009, 14:17
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Debit Card Question
You will though need photo identity to draw out across the counter of another branch... (Passport, full DL..etc..)
|
|
|
10-03-2009, 15:21
|
#18
|
|
Guest
Location: Sutton in Ashfield.
Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Debit Card Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch
Just noticed where you live Frankie, my card was cloned at the cashpoint in Rainhill at the Shell garage (not once, but twice!) so beware 
|
Mmmmm funny you should say that, I got ripped off by a Shell Garage 2 years ago, I'd paid for diesel on my Credit Card and went on my merry way, 2 months later I get a nice phone call from Barclaycard asking me if I'm having a nice holiday? I'm not on holiday I replied, they said are you sure sir? Yep I'm at home watching Central Tonight. My card had been cloned by the Shell Garage 2 months before, it made all the local news stories. They tried to take me for £1500 in Indonesia but it got flagged in Northampton. Nice to know they were on the money when it came to flagging my account.
|
|
|
|
10-03-2009, 15:24
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Peterborough
Services: Virgin Media XL
Broadband XL
Virgin Mobile
V+ installed!
and a happy Virgin Media customer
Posts: 2,560
|
Re: Debit Card Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge
Mmmmm funny you should say that, I got ripped off by a Shell Garage 2 years ago, I'd paid for diesel on my Credit Card and went on my merry way, 2 months later I get a nice phone call from Barclaycard asking me if I'm having a nice holiday? I'm not on holiday I replied, they said are you sure sir? Yep I'm at home watching Central Tonight. My card had been cloned by the Shell Garage 2 months before, it made all the local news stories. They tried to take me for £1500 in Indonesia but it got flagged in Northampton. Nice to know they were on the money when it came to flagging my account.
|
I have an Egg card which I used for my season ticket. The high amount was enough to flag it to Egg as an apparent invalid transaction, and I received an automated call to verify the transaction.
|
|
|
10-03-2009, 15:31
|
#20
|
|
[CENSORED]
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wolverhampton
Age: 48
Posts: 4,218
|
Re: Debit Card Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs
You don't know how to use a chequebook?
|
People still use cheque books? :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
You will though need photo identity to draw out across the counter of another branch... (Passport, full DL..etc..)
|
That depends whether the other branch has the chip and pin thingy-ma-bobs
__________________
Help save the world from loosers
|
|
|
10-03-2009, 15:32
|
#21
|
|
Guest
Location: Sutton in Ashfield.
Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Debit Card Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs
I have an Egg card which I used for my season ticket. The high amount was enough to flag it to Egg as an apparent invalid transaction, and I received an automated call to verify the transaction.
|
It wasn't for Peterborough United was it? I'd have flagged that as an invalid transaction.  Only kidding mate
|
|
|
|
10-03-2009, 18:01
|
#22
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Debit Card Question
Normally you can take a fixed amount say £250 out from the cash point and then go in to the bank and get out another £250.
|
|
|
10-03-2009, 18:36
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Woking
Age: 56
Posts: 2,266
|
Re: Debit Card Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge
Mmmmm funny you should say that, I got ripped off by a Shell Garage 2 years ago, I'd paid for diesel on my Credit Card and went on my merry way, 2 months later I get a nice phone call from Barclaycard asking me if I'm having a nice holiday? I'm not on holiday I replied, they said are you sure sir? Yep I'm at home watching Central Tonight. My card had been cloned by the Shell Garage 2 months before, it made all the local news stories. They tried to take me for £1500 in Indonesia but it got flagged in Northampton. Nice to know they were on the money when it came to flagging my account.
|
A year of two ago they discovered a ring of Sri Lankan immigrants had taken a lot of jobs in garages (Many of them were Shell ones) and were copying cards. There were a few garages in the Guildford area that had this problem. My friend and his girlfriend had their cards cloned in one of the garages in Guildford. I think at the time, Shell admitted they had a problem and had to re-think their chip and pin solution.
|
|
|
10-03-2009, 18:43
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,356
|
Re: Debit Card Question
You could ask for a counter cheque in the bank.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:34.
|