Shocking Service From Virgin Media
04-06-2007, 20:08
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 315
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire12
BT Wholesale ADSL
According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 4Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.
You are approximately 2.61km from the exchange (straight line distance).
|
Spitfire12 is 2.61km from the exchange. It's only me at 7.5Km.
|
|
|
04-06-2007, 20:12
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
As this is about ADSL and not VM, I have moved it into the ADSL section.
|
|
|
04-06-2007, 20:14
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South London
Services: Virgin V+
10mb BB
Xbox 360
Posts: 55
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Well today the final insult happened to me after I was promised a call to tell why I only get 5mb download on a 10mb TBC 20mb connection.
Well I got the call which I was happy with but then the words " You will not be happy to here the fault that has been ongoing for 9 months has not been rectified and we have no end date for you".
"we will send you a letter in the post to confirm".
So I have a choice walk a way after having my walls drilled and 6 years service with no problems until 9 months ago or continue to ask fight for a discounted broadband!
Once I get the letter I will take this to the telco watchdog the reason is that the engineers just cant be bothered to go back to basics and diagnose the problem. Will ADSL 2 be an improvement my neighbour has given me horror stories about SKY ?
Sorry to hijack your thread well sort of ...We all want value for money surely.
|
|
|
05-06-2007, 10:04
|
#19
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw00
The line distance needs to be doubled !! The straight line distance should NOT be used to measure what speed you could get. I have had a brand new line installed by BT, and the distance is 7.5km as confirmed by the engineer. This websites shows 3.04Km.
|
On average lines are 1.4 times straight line distance. This is the figure accepted by Ofcom as being correct.
This coming from a guy whose line is nearly 3 times straight line however the regulator says so so who am I to argue
---------- Post added at 11:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by herc
Once I get the letter I will take this to the telco watchdog the reason is that the engineers just cant be bothered to go back to basics and diagnose the problem. Will ADSL 2 be an improvement my neighbour has given me horror stories about SKY ?
Sorry to hijack your thread well sort of ...We all want value for money surely.
|
What does http://www.samknows.com say about your line length? That's something that's pretty relevant.
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 11:03
|
#20
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
2.61 is long, you would be lucky to get 4meg. Its possible if a direct route but to give you an idea I am 1.65 and have nearly 50db attenuation.
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 11:36
|
#21
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 51
Posts: 7,101
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Yeah, 2.61 KM is the straight line distance so your physical line distance is going to be more than that... although I'd think it's unlikely it'll be as much as 7.5 KM.
As someone else suggested, ditch 'em for hte phone & TV but keep them for BB - this is what I've done.
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 11:48
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 315
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
Yeah, 2.61 KM is the straight line distance so your physical line distance is going to be more than that... although I'd think it's unlikely it'll be as much as 7.5 KM.
As someone else suggested, ditch 'em for hte phone & TV but keep them for BB - this is what I've done.
|
As I explained, BT installed a brand new line and the engineer confirmed the distance was 7.5km, and that no one in the area could get ADSL.
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 12:07
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,164
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw00
As I explained, BT installed a brand new line and the engineer confirmed the distance was 7.5km, and that no one in the area could get ADSL.
|
he was referring to spitfire12's distance not yours
as stated by others i really wouldn't use ADSL at that distance, i haven't even bothered to see what speed i can get on ADSL as the straight line distance is 3.5km for me
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 12:27
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 315
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev
he was referring to spitfire12's distance not yours
as stated by others i really wouldn't use ADSL at that distance, i haven't even bothered to see what speed i can get on ADSL as the straight line distance is 3.5km for me
|
Spitfire12's distance is 2.61km, he has never said he was 7.5km !!!
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 13:45
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 38
Posts: 81
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Ok Guys..VM Broadband is Rubbish where I am...My College Mate lives 4KM From the Exchange.. He Gets 150 - 2MB
im 2.61KM Straight Line Distance so i should get 4MB +
Go to The Link Below And Post Idea's on What Speed id Get on Bethere Please
Someone Says i could get 4-8MB
Other People say 2-4mb
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63...sp-needed.html
What Speed will i get If I Am 2.61 Km Away From Exchange..
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 19:07
|
#26
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
4-6Mbit seems a reasonable guesstimate. 2.61km as crow flies, around 4km of cable length.
Yeah 6Mbit.
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 21:31
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 38
Posts: 81
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
My College Mate is With Talk Talk and Hes about 4KM Away From the Exchange..he gets betwwen 150 and 2MB
ah he might be 6KM away and hes Probably not doubled it....
I Take it if me and someone else are 4KM Away it All depends on the Providers u go with... That Pings do be there Give to UK Servers?
can u do a trace route to 193.47.83.148 please its my gameing server please so i know what its like when it enters the Data Centre
ty
|
|
|
06-06-2007, 22:53
|
#28
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw00
Spitfire12's distance is 2.61km, he has never said he was 7.5km !!!
|
its 2.61 straight, if we used ofcoms stated average of 1.4 per 1 to calculate it then the real distance could be estimated at 3.65km and then it would depend on the cabling BT used it could range from horrible aliminium to thick copper, the average loop loss per km seems to be 15-17db so he would be looking at over 50db attenuation in my opinion and that is likely to mean 4-5meg at best depending on line noise.
Be aware I reckon your real length is probably longer then 4km, I am 1.65 straight and 3.96km actual length.
|
|
|
07-06-2007, 07:19
|
#29
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 190
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
its 2.61 straight, if we used ofcoms stated average of 1.4 per 1 to calculate it then the real distance could be estimated at 3.65km and then it would depend on the cabling BT used it could range from horrible aliminium to thick copper, the average loop loss per km seems to be 15-17db so he would be looking at over 50db attenuation in my opinion and that is likely to mean 4-5meg at best depending on line noise.
Be aware I reckon your real length is probably longer then 4km, I am 1.65 straight and 3.96km actual length.
|
Loop loss averages 10dB / km. Another 3dB or so is added by CPE equipment. I'm spot on for that, 1.4km line, 17dB downstream attenuation.
Ofcom's stated average is 1.4 * straight line distance, you may not follow that but it's still the average of the lines across the country so you have no reason at all to claim that he's probably longer distance beyond personal experience and heresay. Forums always tend to show the worst.
Try not to always see glass half empty because your own experience isn't too hot
---------- Post added at 08:19 ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire12
My College Mate is With Talk Talk and Hes about 4KM Away From the Exchange..he gets betwwen 150 and 2MB
|
Ewww Talk Talk
|
|
|
07-06-2007, 09:33
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Age: 38
Posts: 81
|
Re: Shocking Service From Virgin Media
Incomplete - Whats My Actual Line Distance then....??? 2.61KM is my Straight Line Distance...
With That Actual Line Distance..What speed will i gain from that Mate ?
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:57.
|