MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
29-03-2011, 14:14
|
#1
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...tion-rate.html
Quote:
A cross-party alliance of MPs will launch a fresh bid to tighten the rules on terminations.
Nadine Dorries, a Conservative MP, and Frank Field, a former Labour minister, will table amendments to the Health and Social Care Bill now passing through the Commons.
Supporters of the amendments say that passing them would lead to a dramatic reduction in the number of abortions that take place in the UK.
|
Quote:
|
The first amendment would create a new precondition for any women having an abortion to receive advice and counselling from an organisation that does not itself carry out terminations.
|
Fair enough! I've no objections to that.
However I do over this.
Quote:
The second amendment that will be tabled next week would strip the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of its role setting clinical guidelines on abortions.
Instead, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence should advise doctors on when to allow an abortion, the MPs believe.
|
I don't believe the RCOG have done a particularly bad job thus far and I can't help feeling that their specialist knowledge is of far more relevance than that of the NIHCE.
Personally I think that the legislation for abortion is fine just as it is as I see no need to be changing anything.
What do you think?
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
29-03-2011, 14:27
|
#2
|
|
Remoaner
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,021
|
Re: MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
Leaving aside the issue in hand, Nadine Dorries is a nasty piece peice of work. She has often come to blows with the scientific and medical community for verious reasons.
|
|
|
29-03-2011, 14:40
|
#3
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,535
|
Re: MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
Leaving aside the issue in hand, Nadine Dorries is a nasty piece peice of work.
|
http://www.bloggerheads.com/archives...0_things_that/
|
|
|
29-03-2011, 15:49
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,952
|
Re: MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
Oh not this American nonsense. South Dakota now has a mandatory waiting time for abortion.
But none for gun-purchase strangely enough.
__________________
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil."
|
|
|
29-03-2011, 15:54
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NW UK
Posts: 3,546
|
Re: MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
Am I the only one who thinks if it becomes harder to have a legal abortion we will see a rise in back street abortionists?
'No it's ok, if you go to the hospital you'll have to go through counselling and jump through hoops, they may not even let you have one then, but I know this person, they're really good and not very expensive...'
|
|
|
29-03-2011, 16:02
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poser
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
|
Re: MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
I really wonder what the purpose of this exercise is. If you want to lower the number of abortions that are carried out (which I'm sure everyone thinks would be good), then surely the sensible thing to do would be to drive down the number of unwanted pregnancies? Not to force people to have a baby they don't want?
Oh. And did we actually vote for this, or will this just be pushed through without consulting the public?
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
|
|
|
29-03-2011, 16:03
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
|
Re: MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
I really wonder what the purpose of this exercise is. If you want to lower the number of abortions that are carried out (which I'm sure everyone thinks would be good), then surely the sensible thing to do would be to drive down the number of unwanted pregnancies? Not to force people to have a baby they don't want?
|
Yep, the last thing our society needs is more unwanted babies.
|
|
|
29-03-2011, 17:24
|
#8
|
|
Remoaner
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,021
|
Re: MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
I really wonder what the purpose of this exercise is. If you want to lower the number of abortions that are carried out (which I'm sure everyone thinks would be good), then surely the sensible thing to do would be to drive down the number of unwanted pregnancies? Not to force people to have a baby they don't want?
Oh. And did we actually vote for this, or will this just be pushed through without consulting the public?
|
Goverments are free to introduce laws that were not in their election materials. As much as I hate this plan they have the right to introduce it.
That said I don't think they will get it though. Dorres isn't a mainstream MP as far as I know and may find it difficult to get support for it, especially amongst lib dem MPs....
|
|
|
30-03-2011, 17:17
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
|
Re: MPs launch new bid to cut abortion rate
should be completely upto the individuals and not meddling government.
Same with the stupid idea of preventing devorces leave it upto people. Those people are in the best position to decide if an acidental birth should be aborted or a failing mariage is not working. It can be anything from financial reasons why people dont want the kid and what will happen.
Like someone said backstreat do it yourself dangerous abortions or loads unwanted kids left in the streets which there huge danger. Rising poverty for forced to keep kids not wanted worse abuse.
Getting really peeved about all the interference.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:33.
|